Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

NY Tom Down

Old 05-02-2009, 02:38 PM
Typical Buck

Default NY Tom Down

Got the chance to make it out Saturday for Turkey. First spot with my two buddy's was located close to some roosting turkeys that ignored our calls and went the opposite way. We were in the corner of a field on a ridge that's close to some hardwoods. Didn't hear any more gobbling after about 8:30 when they got down. Turkeys must have been henned up, following hens around trying to get some action. The three of us split up once things settled down. I went to a field bordered by a creek/creek bottom, some thick stuff and some nice mature hardwoods. Took my time getting there. Set up the Bmobile and relaxed up against a tree before getting ready to call. I called a couple times without response and waited. Next thing I know I see a tom or jake go across the field and head towards the creek. About ten minutes later there was a gobble from the creek bottom area. I got the box call out and tried to mimic the gobble to see if anything was up for a challenge. Did some hen calls and waited. Another ten minutes later there was a turkey that came out of the creek bottom area that I was following with the binocs. He was working the field edge closest to the creek. Did some light calling with the mouth call when all of the sudden something caught the corner of my eye. Three other turkeys turkeys were headed my way. The taller grass was blocking their view of my decoy so I gobbled again with the box, waited and did some hen calls with the mouth. That's when they saw Bmobile. Two jakes hung back and 2 beautiful toms headed toward Bmobile (not running, but not walking) like they were going to kick his ace. I took the first one that was in head of the other. He dropped and I started calling with my mouth call again so that I didn't spook them. Next thing I know they casually walked in the thick underbrush to my left. I wish one of my friends was there because it would have been the perfect double. My blood was pumping real well when they were about half way to the decoy. The shot was about 20 yards. The colors of their heads was amazing. Red, very white on top and blue on the sides. It would have been interesting to wait and see if they were going to spur my decoy, but I couldn't wait any longer. Beard was 10.5" and spurs were 1". What a great morning to be out! Below are the pics.

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e19/Troutman10/Spring09Gobbler.jpg

Old 05-02-2009, 04:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: NY Tom Down

Very nice bird - congrats!
Old 05-02-2009, 11:16 PM
Typical Buck

very nice bird big thick beard on him
Old 05-03-2009, 06:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats on a job well done!
Old 05-03-2009, 10:05 AM
bhw
Nontypical Buck

That's a great bird! Congrats!
Old 05-03-2009, 10:11 AM
Spike

Great bird troutman10,congrats!!
Old 05-04-2009, 04:01 AM
Giant Nontypical

Great bird Trout... congrats...

Old 05-06-2009, 07:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

Nice bird!I posted about mine/pic in the NY Turkey thread.