Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Got A Pa Bear Today

Old 05-26-2009, 08:48 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Got A Pa Bear Today

So far this year my bear count is7. That is two more than I had seen all last year. 2 at my deer feeder, 1 at my mother's house, 1 boar, 1 sow and 2 cubs at my father's house. All of these have been seen along the edge of town. I haven't seen one yet in the deep woods, I like seeing them but not tearing into garbage at my parent's back yards or in my food plots for deer. The bear season seems to open rightafter the time they run out of food and go to den up. Coincidence???
Old 05-29-2009, 11:29 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Got A Pa Bear Today

Make that number 8for bear I have seen. Almost hit one on my way home from work. I thought of this thread right away.Would have been 9 if I had been one of the dozens who saw a black bear digging through the dumpster at our local Pizza shop last night. Great job PGC we now have so many bears around my area that they are now traveling into town to find food. At this time of year they are usually satisfied eating fawns but I guess when there are fewer and fewer deer and more and more bear that is to be expected. In the area where I live it is at the point where the population will become a nuisance to more than they are worth and more dangerous. These bear I have seen have had little fear of humans and are willing to travel into town from the mountains that surround us here in the valley. If the carrying capacity hasn't already been exceeded we wouldn't be having so many bears traveling into town for food. And every time a nuisance bear is caught within an hour drive it seems they are being released on our local SGL's. I guess multiple 300, 400 and last year a 600 pound black bear has no detrimental effect on habitat. The PGC releases them here as fast as they can catch them. And now we are seeing these culvert traps popping up all over at homes where these bear are causing problems. The bear is caught, tested, documented, tagged and released just down the road from where he was causing the problem only to return that same night.

For those who want to hunt them look up 4c and 4d Schuykill /Dauphin County lines. Tower City to Williamstown. Buy your tags and come kill everylast one you can.... if the season comes in before they run out of food and den up.