Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

SOMETHING WE CAN ALL AGREE ON?

Old 04-21-2009, 07:22 AM
Typical Buck

Default SOMETHING WE CAN ALL AGREE ON?

For the sake of agreement and a fresh topic, spring gobbler season opens Saturday....much to the dismay of my family, my employer, and my sleep routine! They will all take second seat for a few weeks as I run myself ragged chasing longbeards. With so much negativity (and well deserved,I might add [:@]) over the deer managment, atleast the PGC has done a good job with something. Turkey numbers are some of the best I've ever seen, and judging by the amount of strutting toms and gobbling I've been observing, could be the best year yet for me. I get more excited this time of year than before deer season, been that way for some years now. I just love the challenge, and the interaction that comes with calling in a gobbler. I've definitely learned more patience, woodsmanship, and been humbled (Had my arse kicked!)more times while turkey hunting than anything else.
So that's my positive contribution for the day. good luck to everyone going out, and if your an old hand, take a youth or novice along with you. Pass on some knowledge and help keep our ranks going.SS
Old 04-21-2009, 07:43 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: SOMETHING WE CAN ALL AGREE ON?

Nice post Steel.

Good luck out there to all who will be out there chasing the bearded birds.

And remember, a big beard always means your looking at the best of the species!
Old 04-21-2009, 07:51 AM
Spike

Great post screaming steel
Old 04-21-2009, 08:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Screamin Steel

For the sake of agreement and a fresh topic, spring gobbler season opens Saturday....much to the dismay of my family, my employer, and my sleep routine! They will all take second seat for a few weeks as I run myself ragged chasing longbeards. With so much negativity (and well deserved,I might add [:@]) over the deer managment, atleast the PGC has done a good job with something. Turkey numbers are some of the best I've ever seen, and judging by the amount of strutting toms and gobbling I've been observing, could be the best year yet for me. I get more excited this time of year than before deer season, been that way for some years now. I just love the challenge, and the interaction that comes with calling in a gobbler. I've definitely learned more patience, woodsmanship, and been humbled (Had my arse kicked!)more times while turkey hunting than anything else.
So that's my positive contribution for the day. good luck to everyone going out, and if your an old hand, take a youth or novice along with you. Pass on some knowledge and help keep our ranks going.SS
Good luck to everyone heading out and be safe.I'm taking my daughter and a couple of horses toa barrel racing clinic this weekend in Ohio.My season will start a week later.
Old 04-21-2009, 08:53 AM
Typical Buck

Good luck to the little cowgirl, Doug!
Old 04-21-2009, 09:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks.It hurts a littleto miss the first day but they're only little for a short period of time.Dad's coolness factor is starting to slip a little as she gets older.
Old 04-21-2009, 11:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

I agree. Good luck and good times to all going out. It's a great time to be in the woods.
Doug....good luck to your little girl and the barrel racing school. I'm sure she will do just fine. Oh...and by the way, I'll be up in the Big Mosh for a few days....hope I don't get the one you've been scouting..........
Old 04-21-2009, 12:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've only been out one morning so far this pre-season.I heard two different gobblers this past sunday way back on Moshannons state forest.They appeared to be without hens so they'll be my first target.I didn't see another soul out scouting thispast weekend so hopefully I won't have any competition
Old 04-21-2009, 01:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

I cant wait. Good luck to all
Old 04-21-2009, 04:52 PM
Typical Buck

Good post.

Good luck to all, but first and foremost be careful. Even though orange isn’t legally required any more it still wouldn’t hurt to wear some while moving. Be extremely sure of your target. Remember it is the more experienced turkey hunters that end up shooting other turkey hunters in mistake. I am totally convinced anyone could make that mistake under the right circumstances.

I too plan to get out early every morning either working, hunting or sometimes a combination of the two. Spring gobbler hunting is one of my favorite seasons to hunt.

R.S. Bodenhorn