Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Thoughts on Mt. Lions in the East

Old 04-10-2009, 05:18 PM
Spike

Default Thoughts on Mt. Lions in the East

Check out my post on this subject at the Small Game, Predator, and Trapping forum.
Old 04-11-2009, 05:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Thoughts on Mt. Lions in the East

1000's of reported "siteings" - more in fact then from states where they are known to exist - and not one documented photo, scat, hair or any other proof has been posted.

Show me the proof - not just a feeling from a "night of terror".

Steve
Old 04-11-2009, 09:02 AM
Fork Horn

Now before i do this let me just say, i'm not the kind of person to start something just for the he## of it. But i would like some honest opinions and factual info. on this subject. So please leave any bull**** outta this post.

A few months ago, on one of the nastiest, coldestnights we had all winter,something veryeye opening happened here in my part of Va.This "thing"camedownthrough the valley from the north covering tens of miles, crossing a river several times, and terrorizing cattle all the way, in app. a 12hr span.I'm not going to go in to too much detail here because i know it's going to openme up to some judgement. But myself, and a couple other HuntingNet regulars, one in particular (he knows all to well) and even a State Biologist or two, are pretty much convinced of what it was. This is actually my buddies story to tell and maybe he'll come in later anddo just that. But, like i said people are quick to judge on stories like this and he may not want to be in the spotlight.Anyway, i personally am 100% convinced at this point that it was a Mt. Lion. We have black bear aplenty and a few coyotes around, butthey do notnegatively affect cattle the way this did. Much besides, the distance this thing covered in one night is tremendous. Again,please keep the bull**** out and give me your thoughts or facts on the possibility of cougars in the East.
Nobody saw anything??? What do you mean by terrorizing cattle? What did it do?
Old 04-11-2009, 03:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

If you don't want BS for a response, then don't make such a post IMHO. Just sayin'.
Old 04-11-2009, 03:57 PM
Boone & Crockett

I gues it may have been tippin the cattle??? Pretty vague....
Old 04-11-2009, 04:04 PM
Boone & Crockett

We have a few up here as well.. Some may think it is a joke but you can rest assured it is not. A couple of years ago they caught a guy trying to bring one into release. So up here it is not just a question if it is more of a question if they are here naturally.. The guy that was caught with one went to jail for a while and will never be able to hunt again. This was a felony charge that he had recieved. So it is very possable that other states may have the same issue..
Old 04-12-2009, 05:09 AM
Spike

Crokit, I made this post to get feedback and opinions and i knew there would be people that were too narrow-minded to believe this could have actually happened. Like i said,"i cannot say for certain", but my belief is that it was a large predator and the best explanation is mt. lion.

bronko2200, I wanted to keep this post clean, and on an intelligent level. Hince the reason for stating let's keep the bull**** out. However, i see that you're unable to do that. So i dont know if you are just a trouble maker taking stabs, or if it's your inability to be open-minded and intelligent that's the problem. I did not start this post for people like you to respond to, i'll know better next time! Cow tipping cougars...........enough said.

Let's try to keep it on the Predator forum o.k. fellas.
Old 04-12-2009, 05:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

btip - Be open minded and not insult our intelligence by posting more detail.
Countless explanations other then ml are probably the basis for the "night of terror".

Youv'e basically asked for support for your feelings - not discussion.

Post detail or remain in the deep pool of ml rumors with zero proof.

Steve
Old 04-12-2009, 06:46 AM
Typical Buck

Well, maybe I"ll add a little more detail since it was one of my herds of cattle involved. First I'll describe the weather, that I believe has a major role in the whole thing. It had snowed maybe a 1/4 before turning to rain/freezing rain that lasted till around 1 am, then the temperature dropped to 15 degrees. There was a 1/4 inch glaze of ice on everything the next morning. I have 3 herds of cattle in different areas on the farm. When I went to feed, the first two herds was just like they always are standing around waiting to be fed. When I approached the pasture with the last herd, which is located about 700 yards from the herd I just fed, those cattle was gone and had not finished their feed from the previous evening, very odd indeed. When I finally found them back in the woods, they was acting very unusual, acted afraid of me and did not want to go back where they belonged. They had ran through barbed wire fence in two different places and had covered alot of ground during the night. No cattle or calves had been killed, but they was tore up from running through fence,brush and rough terrain. I first suspected dogs or coyotes, and due to the glaze of ice I was unable to track anything. I thought it just happened to me at first, but later that night another farmer called and asked if I had the phone number to a local trapper that I know well, he said he thought coyotes had run his cattle through a woven wire fence, and wanted something done ASAP, he is located about 1.5 mi from me. He also said the same thing happened on a farm south of him. I immediatly knew something wasn't adding up. The next day I made many calls to cattle farmers in the surrounding area, and soon learned it was a route shaping up and only cattle in a direct path was affected, all had been run through fence of all kinds, was acting strange and would not eat once they had been rounded up. I was able to determine it was a route that covered almost 30 miles in the same night, I suspect it is more than that, but the trail ended at the foot of mountain range. No livestock was killed, but some had to be euthanized due to injuries from going through fence, some farms also had sheep that wasn't harmed, one was a dairy farm were the cows had broke out of the barn and would not go back the next morning to be milked. Nobody including some over 80 years old lifelong cattlemen had never seen cattle in that shape. Nobody seen anything, but many heard dogs raising hell during the night. SteveBNy, you wanted more detail and I could go on, but I think I've might have rambled enough.

Old 04-12-2009, 07:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

No sense in adding more detail unless you could provide ANYTHING that would show it was a mountain lion.
30 miles it was tracked without a track, a bit of fur or any evidence other then "feelings"?
Cougarnet will jump all over this kind of "proof".

Quick Reply: Thoughts on Mt. Lions in the East

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.