Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Thoughts on Mt. Lions in the East

Old 04-12-2009, 07:28 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Thoughts on Mt. Lions in the East

What else could have done this, The cattle are all the proof needed to know something came through.
Old 04-12-2009, 11:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

Exactly the reply I anticipated - and one that would be offered as "proof" by cougarnet.

Key word is "something" - nothing that demonstrates any tangible proof that it was a ml.

Dteve
Old 04-12-2009, 11:48 AM
Typical Buck

Steve, first I want to say I understand were you are coming from, I felt the very same way as you until 4 months ago. Second I have not fooled with cougernet or any other group other than my Dept. of game and lots of farmers.
So if you would, just use what I write while we have a conversation. There was a track identified by a respected bear hunter the morning in question. I have wrote that everything was coated with ice, but it had snowed a bit before the ice. The track was found in a pine thicket that was some what protected from the ice but not clear enough that the hound hunter I mentioned knew for certain what it was, at first he thought it was a bear track but wasn't sure. He also did not know anything had happened in the surrounding area until 2 days later. I have been given permission by my Game Dept to kill whatever is responsible and I will certainly do that. Nobody had experience this sort of thing before and we was all caught off guard, that is no longer the case. I did not start this thread, and I didnt ask for it to be. I suspect the original poster felt someone else had experienced something similar and would like to keep the samething from happening to someone else, as would I. There have been alot of aborted calves after this happened due to the cattle being stressed to that degree. Nothing like this has ever happened before. I am open to any suggestion as to what caused this, I know many things have been ruled out. If you are anyone else has any input/ideas I will be glad to provide what information I have in a civil manner.

Thanks
Old 04-12-2009, 01:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: haystack

Steve, first I want to say I understand were you are coming from, I felt the very same way as you until 4 months ago. Second I have not fooled with cougernet or any other group other than my Dept. of game and lots of farmers.
So if you would, just use what I write while we have a conversation. There was a track identified by a respected bear hunter the morning in question. I have wrote that everything was coated with ice, but it had snowed a bit before the ice. The track was found in a pine thicket that was some what protected from the ice but not clear enough that the hound hunter I mentioned knew for certain what it was, at first he thought it was a bear track but wasn't sure. He also did not know anything had happened in the surrounding area until 2 days later. I have been given permission by my Game Dept to kill whatever is responsible and I will certainly do that. Nobody had experience this sort of thing before and we was all caught off guard, that is no longer the case. I did not start this thread, and I didnt ask for it to be. I suspect the original poster felt someone else had experienced something similar and would like to keep the samething from happening to someone else, as would I. There have been alot of aborted calves after this happened due to the cattle being stressed to that degree. Nothing like this has ever happened before. I am open to any suggestion as to what caused this, I know many things have been ruled out. If you are anyone else has any input/ideas I will be glad to provide what information I have in a civil manner.

Thanks
alright the game dept gave you permisson to kill whatever is responsible
come on how could they legally do that ( could have been kids,the weather ice storm making cows fall and carry on, what about a endangerd specie the game dept said you could kill anything huh hope noone made you mad .
As for cougars had a neighbor work 3rd shift say they saw one in my yard
yep they got a pic too. Turned out to be a house cat someone dropped off standing up on hind legs eating dog food out of the bowl that i screwed 2 ft up the coupe dumb dog always tips it when it is tied out
I got a good laugh out of they was embarresed didnt believe me till i found cat showed them and the good thing was they took it so i didnt have to drive a half hour to the dog pound to get rid of it
My point is there is to many fake storys out there to believe one right now
Give me a pic or prof of somekind and maybe then i will believe
Old 04-12-2009, 03:00 PM
Typical Buck

Bowtruck, I can assure you permission has been granted by the VDGIF if what ever it is, is caught in the act. It is not kids or weather. I have been around cows all my life and know them well, I have seen dogs run them before and get them very riled up, but not to this degree, nobody has. I have explained the situation as it unfolded on page one.

I'm not trying to convince anyone of nothing. I have responded with truthful information, I don't expect anyone to believe it, but it did happen as I've told it. What else could have done it? There is 17 farmers affected and my Game Dept has been very helpful. A picture would end all doubt, so would a dead Mt Lion.
Old 04-12-2009, 03:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hmmm... Heard DOGS raising hell through the night...??..Do yousuppose DOGS, which are EVERYWHERE , could possibly be the culprits, rather than cougars, whose presence is questionable, at best..??..

Cougar behavior generally involves attacking prey from ambush, catching it in a short sprint,rather than chasing them hell west and crooked over 30 miles of territory...

Dogs LOVE to chase, and sometimes the kill is not as important to them as the chase..

Cougars kill to live...It seems like that if a cougar was involved, the bovines would have suffered a casualty or two...

Of many "cougar" stories, this one seems to be among the LEAST likely to have involved a feline..
Old 04-12-2009, 03:05 PM
Typical Buck

Dogs would not have swam a river 4 different times.
Old 04-12-2009, 03:09 PM
Spike

Steve, since you are obviously sooooo intelligent what do you suggestmight have caused such a ruckus? ONCE AGAIN, i did not start this post for you or anyone else to prove or disprove anything to me! I simply ask for some intelligent feedback. You are entitled to your opinion but you don't have to be such an azz with your responses, if you don't like or agree with this postmove on, and save room for someone who has something decent to say!!!!
Old 04-12-2009, 03:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Asking for something other then the same old rumors and feelings is being an azz?
Your azz threshold is pretty low then.

Want intelligent feedback?
Then provide some intelligence to start with.
Suggestion: saying that you see no other explanation for some riled cattle then a phantom ML is not necessarly
providing an intelligent, debate free statement - andcertainley not remotely related to proof.

Old 04-12-2009, 03:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

dogs dont swim better tell my lab he must be a cougar

Quick Reply: Thoughts on Mt. Lions in the East

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.