Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

PA Turkeys?

Old 04-10-2009, 03:08 AM
Fork Horn

Default PA Turkeys?

I'm here in CT and have not been to our camp in PA for a while and was wonder how the turkeys fared this winter? Are the flocks you are seeing numbers down or up? What type & amount of activity is going on? They must be strutting & gobbling their heads off by now. I plan on getting there next weekend for a little scouting myself.
Old 04-10-2009, 03:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: PA Turkeys?

From what i see pa has plenty of turkeys. 3gobblers in backyard yesterday all fanned out struting there stuff
three hens below them. I have seen some large flocks around.
Old 04-10-2009, 05:01 AM
Giant Nontypical

They're doin just fine in the SW and I've been hearing that they did OK in the ANF area of 2F if that helps you.
Old 04-10-2009, 07:54 AM
Banned

Of the driving around Ive done down here in 2A, Ive seen 2 flocks recently. Thats it. Numbers way down in Greene. I wish Pgc would make a statement on it saying what might be the problem. They cut the fall season down by a week, so so many hens wouldnt be gettin' swiped, havent seen a difference or heard anything since.

I travel rt. 21 regularly which goes the entire length through Greene countydead center of the county and it runs its lengthfrom east to west. This time of year, you'd have seen 100's of birds per week along that route, with several flocks in a days commute of say 30 miles or so.

Not sure what natural occurrences are responsible, but I dont imagine its anything extremely out of the ordinary that cannot effect a flock anywhere for a fewor in this caseseveral years. I do not, though, think this winter had any effect on them this year.

I do have a couple of properties that hold huntable numbers and dont think I'll have a problem getting dad and I a bird, and anyone else should be able to find birds as well with a bit of homework.

I dont travel alot in the northern tier of 2A, but once or twice every few months or so. Not sure how the flock is up that way. Saw a few birds time before last I Was up in Washington.A few days ago, saw no birds on the way up 79 north from waynesburg, did see 22 deer along 79 and 70near Washington.
Old 04-10-2009, 02:58 PM
Typical Buck

Turkey populations seem to have done well through the winter in all parts of Pennsylvania even though we experienced a hard winter in much of the state. The state is pretty large though, with different turkey prospects for the different areas.

You didn’t say what are you hunt so I am including a link to the entire news release that came out this week, but also copy and paste the outlook for thedifferent units. This should also address, at least in part, Cornelius’ questions concerning unit 2A.

http://www.pgc.state.pa.us/pgc/cwp/view.asp?Q=176347&A=11

Wild Turkey Field Reports

WMU 1A
– Above the statewide average, but well below average for this WMU. Last year provided the worst reproduction since 1996. With a shortened two-week fall season since 2005, expect 2009 spring harvest to be only slightly lower than last year, even with below-average reproduction the past two years. The population of two-year old gobblers, the age-class most likely to respond to hunters’ calls, is below average, but there still may be a good proportion of three and four-year-olds in the population. But they are the more experienced and wary age-classes. The key here is to scout prior to the season.

WMA 1B
– Excellent compared to the statewide average. Slightly below average for the WMU due to the below-average proportion of two-year old males in the population. For those who enjoy calling in the older three-year-olds, there still may be a good proportion in the population. Jakes abound.

WMU 2A
– Still well above the statewide average, but well below average for itself. Fall turkey season was shortened from three weeks to two weeks in 2007, which will allow more turkeys to survive to the 2009 spring season, along with more hens. There is an average proportion of two-year-old males in the population, so take advantage of this vocal age class as the older age classes and jakes are below average.

WMU 2B
– Variable. This WMU is difficult to predict because of the lack of public land. For hunters who secure access to hunting areas, prospects are above the state average for calling in either a two- or three-year-old gobbler.

WMU 2C
– This spring should be as good or better than the last two springs, because of a combination of a shorter fall season length from three to two weeks since 2004, and excellent reproduction in 2006 and 2007, so there are more two- and three-year-olds in the population than the previous five years. Spring harvest densities (harvests per square mile) remain below the statewide average.

WMU 2D
– Good compared to the statewide average, but below average for this WMU. Summer reproduction last year was again below average for this WMU for the fifth consecutive year. Although last spring’s harvest increased from the previous three years, expect this spring’s harvest to decrease slightly, as a result of the continued low summer reproductive success.

WMU 2E
– Excellent for this WMU for harvesting two- and three-year-olds, but below the statewide average. Due to the below-average reproduction last summer, the harvest of jakes will be low. But because hunters often select the older age classes, the harvest may not be impacted and may be slightly higher than average.

WMU 2F
– The population has increased from that of the last several years, because of above-average reproduction last year and the shortened fall season (from 3 weeks to 2 weeks since 2007), which has allowed more turkeys to survive toeach successive breeding season. Expect an average proportion of two-year-old males in the population for easy calling and an above-average population of jakes that typically come in quietly to hunters. Harvest density continues to be below the long-term average for this WMU and below the statewide average. However, hunters continue to enjoy hunting the extensive public lands in this WMU.

WMU 2G
– Prospects are good for an above-average harvest. Summer reproduction over the last four years has been increasing and the two-year-old population now has rebounded to average for this WMU. The population is rebounding to the long-term average for this WMU, and is now above the state average, but spring harvest densities (harvest per square mile) are still below the state average.

WMU 3A
- Prospects look very promising for another above-average harvest. It will be excellent for all age-classes of gobblers, except jakes, as a result of below-average reproduction last year. Summer turkey sightings in 2007 hit a record high, better than the heyday years of 2001 and 2002 so the population of the vocal two-year-old gobblers has never been better.

WMU 3B
– Excellent compared to the statewide average and above average for this WMU. This WMU typically maintains relatively steady summer turkey sightings, but for the last two years they were at or above record levels, so expect the spring harvest to be well above average.

WMU 3C
– Excellent compared to the statewide and WMU averages.

Summer reproduction has been at record levels for the past three years, setting the stage for a record population of jakes and two- and 3-year-old-gobblers for 2009. Expect harvests to be well above the state average and above average for this WMU.

WMU 3D
– Above the statewide average, but average compared to itself. This WMU typically maintains harvest densities above the state average, but there are fewer two-year-old gobblers this year than average. Jakes abound so hunters may desire harvesting these.

WMU 4A
– Excellent for this WMU, similar to the statewide average. Although harvest densities (harvest per square mile) remain below the statewide average, compared to itself, harvests are expected to be off the charts for two-year-olds because of the record reproduction in 2007. Populations of other age classes also are above the long-term average. The two-week fall season since 2004 may be helping this population to rebound even with the variations in annual reproduction.

WMU 4B
– Above the statewide average, but average for this WMU. The populations of two- and three-year-old gobblers are average so expect a good gobbling year. The population of jakes is below average. With the continued two-week fall season, spring harvest densities have been increasing even though this WMU has had tremendous fluctuations in recruitment recently.

WMU 4C
– Second best 2008 spring harvest density (harvest per square mile) in the state and hunters should expect a similar harvest this year. This WMU continues to maintain one of the highest spring harvest densities in the state, even though the summer turkey sighting index trend remains below the statewide average. Indications from the above-average jake population and average population of other gobbler age classes, as well as the slightly increasing spring harvest density trend, suggest that hunting prospects again will be excellent.

WMU 4D
– Above average for this WMU, below the statewide average. The population of jakes is above average and that of the vocal two-year-old old gobblers is average. Although the summer turkey sighting index and spring harvest density remain below the statewide average, spring harvest densities have been improving for the past three years, partially as a result of the two-week fall season from 2004-2006, which allowed more birds to survive to the spring season.

WMU 4E
– Like WMU 4C, another turkey hotspot. Highest spring 2008 harvest density (harvest per square mile) in the state. Also, summer turkey sightings show a record number of jakes, two- and 3-year-old gobblers in the population. Expect this year’s harvest to be even better than last year’s.

WMU 5A
– Above average for this WMU; far below the statewide average. Although harvests and summer turkey sightings continue to be some of the lowest in the state, the closed fall turkey season and above-average summer reproduction for the past 2 summers have been factors aiding in population increase. Two-year old gobblers and jakes are plentiful for 2009.

WMU 5B
- The data set for this WMU is minimal, but overall, expect an average harvest compared to itself. Harvests and summer turkey sightings are some of the lowest in the state.

WMU 5C
– Average to slightly above average for this WMU, below the statewide average. Expect an average to slightly above-average harvest as indicated from an average proportion of two-year and three-year-old gobblers and an above-average proportion of jakes in the population. Harvest density remains below the statewide average.

WMU 5D
– Data set is too small to predict harvest.

# # #

R.S. Bodenhorn
Old 04-10-2009, 03:36 PM
Banned

"but well below average for itself"

Ive known this, and it has been from somewhere around, going by memory 7 to 10 year range. Wonder why that is?

"Still well above the statewide average"

Thats extremely hard to believe. Course Im not familiar with turkey numbers across the majority of the state. I guess in many of the "big woods" areas in the harsher mountain areasmay be more areas without birds and having them even fewer and farther between. Understandable I guess.I don't sweat it, Ive killed a gobbler every year for the last 25 years. I dont expect this one to be any different. Just hope the resource isnt in danger from the unknown.
Old 04-10-2009, 05:55 PM
Typical Buck

From what I read about 2G and 3A, that report is pretty close to what I've been seeing. Actually, I think this will be the best year that we've had for gobblers in many years.
Old 04-11-2009, 07:54 PM
Spike

I live in central pa. The bird population seems about the same as it has been for the last few years. A lot of gobbling in the woods right now.
Old 04-12-2009, 03:53 AM
Fork Horn

Our cabin is in 3C , Forest lake Township. Johnson Rd area. Based on your link the area of 3C is listed as above average numbers which is nice to hear.