Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

07/08 annual report. Good bad and ugly. Mostly ugly

Old 04-06-2009, 10:01 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: 07/08 annual report. Good bad and ugly. Mostly ugly

ORIGINAL: bawanajim

In areas where deer numbers are at levels where fawns are a large% of the breeding deer I can see where breeding rates would fall as a doe fawn will likely produce just one fawn that first year.
That could easily be confirmed or denied if the deer sampled were aged and counted as well. I dont recall if that was part of what's been reported.

Another thought....

This would be a localized issue, but I understand form a local WCO that we actually had a significany number of deer that had EHD but survived. (I know because I killed an emaciated deer in 2B Jan 08 and was worried about CWD. know of another hunter who did as well. The local WCO told us that there had been a lot of similar cases of EHD survivors)

This is purely conjecture but I'd certainly think that a doe stressed by EHD might not get pregnant or carry her fawns to term. The big outbreak of EHD was infall 07but we had a smaller outbreak a few years back.
Old 04-06-2009, 10:04 AM
Banned

Jim fawns are notan issue with the numbers being discussed at the moment. The rates discussed are for ADULT doe only age 2 or older as stated in the report.
Old 04-06-2009, 10:07 AM
Giant Nontypical

May be our doe are getting uglier.[]
Old 04-06-2009, 10:08 AM
Banned

Btb, it was determined that our ehd bout was a pretty potent strain where few of those infected actually survived. Certainly nowhere near enough to completely skew the statewide breeding rates, and whats more.....for the last several years as a trend.
Old 04-06-2009, 10:15 AM
Banned

"May be our doe are getting uglier"

UGLY DOE OUT LOOKING FOR LOVE FROM SOME LUCKY BUCK!
Old 04-06-2009, 10:16 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Cornelius08

Btb, it was determined that our ehd bout was a pretty potent strain where few of those infected actually survived. Certainly nowhere near enough to completely skew the statewide breeding rates, and whats more.....for the last several years as a trend.
Not according to our local WCO. They did say that the number of survivors that were later killed by hunters had surpised them though. The geographic extent of it was much larger than first thought as well. Mine was in NE Allegheny co and the other was in Westmoreland and as I understand it, cases were confirmed ad far north as Cambria.

Also, the 2007 outbreak would not be in the data but the earlier outbreak, which was not as severe would be. Although the exact year escapes me right now. Certainly not a single explanation but I bet there will not be one single smoking gun to explain this.

As for the change in regen rates, all I can say is WTF?
Old 04-06-2009, 10:17 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Cornelius08

"May be our doe are getting uglier"

UGLY DOE OUT LOOKING FOR LOVE FROM SOME LUCKY BUCK!
Greene County inbreeding? LOL
Old 04-06-2009, 10:27 AM
Banned

"Not according to our local WCO. They did say that the number of survivors that were later killed by hunters had surpised them though."

Your wco had no idea what he was talking about. PGC biologists stated it was a especially caustic strain apparently. They said they determined this because in some localized areas it hit it wiped out 80+%. That wouldnt be possible if itdidnt kill a higher percentage of thoseineffected. Judging by the body count around here at the time, Id agree 100%. Luckily there were areas not at all infected and others with few deer infected.Even if 100% of the deer in those worst areas were infected that would be a 80% mortality rate among those infected. I dont believe 100% were infected so the mortality rate of those infected could theoretically have been much higher than 80%.

One way to determine a survivor is by looking at the hooves which would appear wrinkled or cracked. Noone I know has havested a deer that displayed the symptoms, nor have I heard of any taken. Not to say none where, but seems a very very low number.

"The geographic extent of it was much larger than first thought as well. Mine was in NE Allegheny co and the other was in Westmoreland and as I understand it, cases were confirmed ad far north as Cambria. "

YEs very few and far between isolated incidents. By far the huge majority of it hit right here in 2A.

"Also, the 2007 outbreak would not be in the data but the earlier outbreak, which was not as severe would be. Although the exact year escapes me right now."

YEs, and I too cannot recall...2002 maybe? Around there i believe...anyway there were just a small handful of confirmed deaths that year.
Old 04-06-2009, 10:28 AM
Banned

BTW, that pic wasnt mine, nor was it taken in Greene county. In fact Im not sure where it was taken.
Old 04-06-2009, 10:40 AM
Giant Nontypical

Your wco had no idea what he was talking about. PGC biologists stated it was a especially caustic strain apparently. They said they determined this because in some localized areas it hit it wiped out 80+%. That wouldnt be possible if itdidnt kill a higher percentage of thoseineffected. Judging by the body count around here at the time, Id agree 100%. Luckily there were areas not at all infected and others with few deer infected.
Just one more example of why you can't take part in a civil objective discussion. I suppose the WCO just made it all up? Of course, whatever information you got is the only credible information out there right? The statements from the PGC biologists I saw came in late summer early fall. The discussion I'm referring towas after the hunting season unfolded and several harvested deer had been observed and checked with the same symptoms. Where did you get your information and what qualifies you to claim that my WCO has no idea what she's talking about?

Your closed minded approach says volumes about your position on other subjects as well

Quick Reply: 07/08 annual report. Good bad and ugly. Mostly ugly

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.