Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

NYDEC antler restrictions in the Catskills and

Old 04-02-2009, 09:16 AM
Fork Horn

Default NYDEC antler restrictions in the Catskills and

DEC has recently submitted a regulatory proposal to modify the muzzleloading season for deer in the Northern Zone and expand the area with antler point restrictions for deer hunting in southeastern New York.
Specifically, the department proposes to amend 6 NYCRR section 1.22 (Muzzleloading firearm deer season) to open wildlife management unit (WMU) 5A and close WMU 5J for either-sex deer harvest during the late muzzleloading season. The department also proposes to amend 6 NYCRR section 1.27 (Alternative deer harvest strategies) to include WMUs 3A, 4G, 4O, 4P, 4R, 4S, 4W, and 4X in the list of units where the minimum antler requirement is at least one antler with at least 3 points.
To read the text of the regulatory proposal, the explanatory regulatory impact statement, and for an email link and address to provide comments on the proposed changes, please see http://www.dec.ny.gov/regulations/34113.html#Part1Sect22Sect27.
Public comment on the proposal will be accepted through May 18, 2009. Please do not reply to this email with your comments. Comments should be submitted through the email or mail address provided in the link above.
Sincerely,
Jeremy Hurst
Big Game Biologist

Note: To update your email address with NYBigGame, get a password reminder, change your subscription options, subscribe or unsubscribe, please visit
http://lists.dec.state.ny.us/mailman/listinfo/nybiggame.

I must say as I am not a 100% fan of AR I am hoping that this will pass.

Old 04-02-2009, 10:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: NYDEC antler restrictions in the Catskills and

I hope any expansion ends therefor points based, mandatory attempted trophy management.

Steve

Old 04-02-2009, 11:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

Well for whatever it's worth I sent them a letter STRONGLY OPPOSING the expansion of antler restriction to the other areas one of which is 4P, the unit I hunt in. It makes me sick how some of these so called "hunters coalitions" are trying to make it sound like they are the voice of ALL hunters in these areas. No one asked me my opinion on this matter or anyone else I know that hunts in this unit. I think there are way MORE hunters out there who are happy with a chance to take any deer than there are trophy hunters who want to push this kind of stuff on everyone. I really hope this gets shot down in a hurry.

Old 04-03-2009, 03:06 AM
Fork Horn

Well I did send them a letter stating that I was strongly for the proposal, as I stated I don't see this as a deer management tool, but more as a buck management program.

I for one am tired of only seeing 1 good deer every year. I will say in 4G I pass on an avg. 5-10 small bucks every year and only see about 1-3bucks make it once the gun season starts. I do believe that shooting the 1 1/2old 6pt and bigger is not by any means good QDM. But I can’t say that my neighbors now not shooting 8 deer that were 4pts or less makes me unhappy. This year in the opening week of gun the 2 neighbors with there hunting parties total of 12 hunters took10 bucks 3 4pts 1 3pt 5 spikes,1 6pt and 1 7pt. The only one I never saw was the 7pt. It was a boomer year for them but for my hunting partner and myself, well it just made passing up bucks hard.

So yes I voted for it, I am thinking about myself and my buck population.

Old 04-03-2009, 03:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

I do believe that shooting the 1 1/2old 6pt and bigger is not by any means good QDM.

The states responsibility is to manage deer numbers, NOT the manage for trophy quality. In the scheme of controlling deer numbers it does not matter in the least how many antler points the male deer that get harvested happen to be wearing. That is only the concern of the hunters who somehow find it more manly killing a large racked buck over a smaller racked one. Again in the overall population control picture it doesn't matter a bit that the harvested buck had 4 points or 10 points.

Old 04-03-2009, 07:38 AM
Fork Horn

In 4G we have very healthy deer. its just out of balance, so maybe this is how the state can manage the deer numbers. I see this as nothing more than balancing thebuck to doe.As it is right now weather you like AR or not we do have a State wide ARprogram in effect. You CAN NOT shoot any buck with less than 3" of antler, so is this law any different i don't think so.