Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Interesting article on Pa Deer Audit

Old 03-14-2009, 08:00 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Interesting article on Pa Deer Audit

I can just imagine what the whole USP crowd would say if the PGC wanted the audit done by a photographer with a 30 yearout of dateecology background.

The cries of foul would be heard for hundreds of miles around.
Old 03-14-2009, 08:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

Alt was appointed to manage the deer herd and he had absolutely no back ground in deer management. The clown didn't even recognize a browse line in the woods where he did his bear research. Maybe that makes him qualified to do the audit based on your warped criteria.
Old 03-14-2009, 10:48 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: BTBowhunter

I can just imagine what the whole USP crowd would say if the PGC wanted the audit done by a photographer with a 30 yearout of dateecology background.

I think this is one of those times if we give you enough rope you will make a fool of yourself without any help from us.
Old 03-14-2009, 10:51 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: Maverick 1

ORIGINAL: BTBowhunter

I think this is one of those times if we give you enough rope you will make a fool of yourself without any help from us.

Old 03-14-2009, 12:03 PM
Banned

"That Street refers to him as the "bear man" and credits him with the current bear plan in PA is suspect at best for two reasons. "

Streetdidnt refer to him as "anything". Hesaid ALT referred to himas those things.

I dont know if Eveland would be the man for the job or not. Even though ALT is doing other things out in California these days, even after his deer disaster, I wouldnt hesitate to see him in a bear management role. And in case you werent aware, Dr. Alt is ALSO a photographer these days! (LOL) http://www.garyaltconsulting.com/1762137.html

WMI's ability to work this project objectively could VERY WELL be called into question as they have worked WITH PGC on not one, but TWO projects. The "pr" nonsense prior to the deer plan to sell it, and I beleive a pheasant restoration feasibilitystudy.

Those things aside, one of the bigger problems that is being ignored spoken of by street is the Shaeffer/Audubon involvment, and deceit. Not good. wether you like eveland or not.
Old 03-14-2009, 12:11 PM
Banned

"Reason two goes to Streets credibility and his obvious published agenda. He has demonstrated his agenda time and again and his bias is unquestionable.He absolutelyhas reason to want the current deer plan to come out looking badbecause he has already drawn his conclusions and made them very public."

He has made many FACTUAL statements public from the best I can tell... And it doesnt matter WHAT his personal feelings on the issue are, the audubon involvement and the "dirty dealings" dont smell any better no matter how you look at it.

Also, even if he had an "agenda" Id be very interested in hearingyou please explain why that is any different than what Audubon and Mr. Shaefferalong with zullinger and others have been attempting to do all along with the audit and all other "shows" they have put on throught the years so that the deer plan could "stay the course" unfettered? Yet for some obtuse reason, youseem to think THAT is ok?

Old 03-14-2009, 03:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

In ricky-tick order, then, a request for proposal (containing the Levdansky/Schaefer language) was sent out and, according to a person who was following the process, at least two bids were received; one from the Wildlife Management Institute (who had already done a nifty little public relations campaign for the PGC back in 1999) and John Eveland (who really hadn’t done much except, on yea, conduct the research and prepare the management plan for the other two big game species in Pennsylvania).

As you might imagine, the people who were aware of these proposals were dumbfounded when they read in the February 22, 2009, edition of the Pittsburgh Tribune Review that “the Legislative Budget and Finance Committee … could find no one - employed or retired – willing to undertake the study because the subject of deer management in Pennsylvania is seen across the country as being particularly vicious and caustic.” No one, that is, except the PGC’s old public relations buddies at the Wildlife Management Institute and -- perhaps the newspaper just forgot to mention -- John Eveland. Guess who got the contract?
The fact that the WMI did PR work for the PGC in the past ,should be enough to disqualify them from doing the audit,since there is an obvious conflict of interest.
Old 03-14-2009, 04:46 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: bluebird2

Alt was appointed to manage the deer herd and he had absolutely no back ground in deer management. The clown didn't even recognize a browse line in the woods where he did his bear research. Maybe that makes him qualified to do the audit based on your warped criteria.
LOL I remember THAT ONE! Alt said when they showed the browse lines to him he was surprised how severe they were. This coming from a man that worked in the woods his entire life as a professional biologist! That's the man to take charge of our new deer program, they said.

BTB, Since it seems you live close to this Eveland fellow, I think we should appoint you as field reporter for Hunting.Net. Track the gent down and do an interview for us. I'd like to learn more about him and how he seems to have been an influential pioneer of wildlife mgt in PA, but his current photography career surely won't earn him many favors if he hasn't done anything but snap pictures of elk for the last 30 years. All in favor of an interview with Eveland, say Aye!
Old 03-14-2009, 05:01 PM
Banned

He he he. I believe you meant whenAlt stated THIS SS. I lmao when I heard it the first time and every time since. (LOL) From the audubon website:

"It just drove me to my knees,” he declares. “I couldn't believe it. I'm not talking about little pockets but thousands and thousands of square miles that have been devastated.”

Pretty funny after a lifetime of working in those same forests to not only just have taken notice, but got DRIVEN TO HIS KNEES!!!! (LOL)(LOL) Maybe he was "driven to his knees" by lugging around all that extra weight in that bullet proof vest? (LOL)
Old 03-14-2009, 05:31 PM
Typical Buck

Or maybe he was on his knees to do the bidding of the Audubon and their ecowarrior friends! Hope those callouses went away before he put his trunks on on those sunny CA beaches!

Quick Reply: Interesting article on Pa Deer Audit

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.