Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Oops,Changes you would like for Pa.Hunting Season

Old 03-08-2009, 04:42 AM
Typical Buck

Default Oops,Changes you would like for Pa.Hunting Season

I've been on thisforum for a short time.During this time, I have read some interesting topics and reply's and some off the wall as well.I've read some opinions already,on what hunters did ordidn't like,but they where in an unrelated topics. I'm trying to gather and direct these opinions to the proper topic.So I'm just curious to if and what changes pertaining to our hunting seasons,the viewers of this forum would like. I hope I'm not to late with this. I know the moderate weather, the upcoming fishing and spring turkey will be taking away viewer time.So here is mine: I would like to see smaller WMU's. Someone I believe already mentioned that the larger WMU's may be the contributor to the so called,cold spots! I would have to back that statement,but I also know,smaller WMU's would not be the cure all.IMO,smaller would be better. Next: The early muzzleloader/rifle during archery. Don't care for it. My reason,I've been on the receiving end of another hunters weapon.When I hear a rifle go off and notice the short visibility due to the heavy foliage,I almost go into panic attack.IMO, why couldn't it be moved to the week after archery season? Last: A better system of getting the actual numbers of the deer harvested. I haven't come up with one myself,but already have seen a couple ideas mentioned in other topics.That's it for me.I'm basically satisfied with everything else. Would like to hear other views on this topic.
[/align]
[/align]PS: Please lets drop the crossbow inclusion in this topic for now.We haven't experienced it yet and what effects this is going to bring.
[/align]
Old 03-08-2009, 09:01 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Changes you would like for Hunting Season

Personally, I don't want to see them remove the early doe season for inlines and muzzleloading rifles at all. As a matter of fact, I would like to see them allowed to take a buck at this time of year during the rut and if this has any impact on the overall health of the deer herd, then I would like to see them adjust the length of the existing archery, flintlock, inlineseason to account for it.
Old 03-08-2009, 09:07 AM
Fork Horn

There are a lot of good suggestions out there, most don't affect me because I hunt my own little patch of land. Reducing the number of days in four WMU's for antlerless deer, from twelve to seven, was a start. I think a little good faith effort on the PGC's part, would go a long way, to better manage the herd and put our trust back in them.

Until the PGC isuues seperate antlerless licenses for private and public land, Hr will continue on SGL's. Why, because the PGC has no control over their SGL, with respect to number of hunters and deer harvested, where private land owners controls their own future.

You will hear PGC supporters say that times have changed, yes they have and the PGC has less control over private lands than ever before, with more land being posted every year because of their decisions. It's time for the PGC to get off their high horse, they only control the herd on SGL, which is only a small part of the land in this state. No matter how many tags they issue, I'm not about to shoot every doeI see, I enjoy and expect to see deer when I go hunting, isn't our sport called hunting, not shooting?

Old 03-08-2009, 10:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

What state?

This forum is for the wholeNortheast - not just one state.
Steve
Old 03-08-2009, 10:58 AM
Fork Horn

Then post what you want about the state or states you hunt. My son purchased 90 acres in Tioga County N.Y. and built a home. He has a three point rule on his property, so therefore he would like the state to do the same. also nodoe were taken in the two seasons he has owned it. What are your feeling on that?
Old 03-08-2009, 11:01 AM
Fork Horn

I would like to see one buck per season (year)in NY. Three point antler restrictions does nothing.A large % ofyearling bucks have three points on one side. Four points on one side would be better.
Old 03-08-2009, 12:48 PM
Banned

Smaller wmus should be a "given" but Rosenberry has been asked about this for years now and his reply is ALWAYS basically not gonna happen. Which in my opinion is absolutely rediculous. As long as smaller wmus were implemented and not treated the same as currently, with basic statewide doe tag carpet bombing, a significant portion of problems could be addressed.

Doe allocations need cut nearly across the board. Not just "public land" and not just one wmu. Currently the numbers prove that reduction has occurred since "stabilization" claims were made, and it needs addressed. Although some of the very worst areas are public land, Most of the state is NOT public land and some areas have much private land that is open to hunting, yet no desire of the landowners to manage for or against the deer herd. Private landowners wanting fewer deer have MANY tools at their disposal. red tag, dmap, and shoot 'em up day or night regulations now. I guess the problem lies in the fact that those provisions dont pertain to ecoextremist birdhuggers.

Old 03-08-2009, 01:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would like to see early inline moved to flintlock and just have 1 muzzy season. I would like bow to come in 1 week later and put that week at end of season. I would like to see doe tags cut and managed for a certain dpsm
that is good for hunters and deer. I would like to see doe cut to 3 days in most areas monday saturday, saturday
I would like to see the pgc stop bringing in mountain lions
maybe 12point bucks for all

Old 03-08-2009, 01:19 PM
Typical Buck

2week buck gun season ,3 days doe gun season and 2 months of bow , Either , keep the late flintlock season. /and one deer per hunter per year.
Old 03-08-2009, 01:21 PM
Banned

Hell I wish they WOULD start stocking mountain lions. (LOL) Given the average quality of our buck, it would be about the only "quality" animal in this state to hunt.

Quick Reply: Oops,Changes you would like for Pa.Hunting Season

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.