Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Turkey research trapping

Old 03-09-2009, 04:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Turkey research trapping

A similar thing happened to the pheasant population in Northampton Co, during the 70s . Within just two years our wild breeding population was wiped out and all we had left was a few stocked birds. The crash was not due to changing farming practices as the PGC claimed because the populations in residential areas were also wiped out. The only thing that could wipe out an entire population over a large area with diverse habitats is a bacteria or a virus.
Old 03-09-2009, 04:11 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: Cornelius08

Just curious, what wmu blackpowder? Im talking 2A, though specifically greene county.

I travel and hunt just about all corners ofGreene county pretty good bit, its unreal the difference. Not just talking a year or two though, as that would easily be explained by a year or two of wet springs or a harsh winter... The density had gone down a good bit by the 2000's. Then a bit more recently, but seems to have leveled out. but man, the diffence between the last several and the mid and late 90s is ungodly! (LOL)

Some here have speculated that around that same time the bobcat and coyote numbers increased, which there numbers had increased over previously by leaps and bounds around here. Never saw a b'cat here prior to 10 years ago. Now I see them fairly regularly. Coyotes numbers are much higher than a decade ago, as my hunting success, random sitings and reports of others random sitings and signhave allgreatly multiplied since then.

Could be some weird diseases limiting numbers...Something like west nile etc?? Maybe banner years of oppossum and coon destroying nests..
Corn, I live in and hunt mostly 2C. But also have hunted turkeys in 2A and 2D. I know at least in my area,again we have been getting these freak cold spells late May and early June. Accompanied with lots of rain. As a matter of fact,we have had to many of them in the past 8 seasons.I'm by no means saying this is your soul problem in your area. But I know you have been getting this goofy weather pattern too in recent springs. I also know what you mean as far as birds back in the mid 90's. My buddy first took me down their in "92". I'll just state it like this,never saw or heard so many birds in my life in two days of hunting.First light sounded like I was in the middle of the pen rows at a Butterball poultry farm.
[/align]
Old 03-09-2009, 06:42 PM
Banned

Bp, cant say as Ive really paid alot of attention to our springs as being extreme compared to previously, I believe its definately possible though. Doesnt really take alot of bad weather, just enough of it at key times I guess is all it takes.

As for 2C, I dont know how turkey even survive in the 2C mountains. (LOL) Compared to us down here, thetotal snowfall throughout the winter is MUCHgreater, the temps often several degrees difference, greenup and last frostis later and alsoless diverse habitat. Them's some tuff Toms up there! (LOL)

Bb, I wouldnt rule that out. The timing was around the time or just before the outbreaks of I believe it was west nile? around the area. Lots of dead songbirds etc. were turning up dead, and I might be mistaken but I believe there was also some birds of prey effected. Im not sure if Pgc has ruled that or similar disease out as possibly effecting turkey.

Old 03-10-2009, 01:57 AM
Typical Buck

On the original subject...Any word of any studies being conducted in the southwest? Turkey numbers here in Greene are about 1/10 what they were in the late 90's. In the 90's the turkey pop absolutely exploded!!Flocks could be seen every few miles in fields early in am this time of year, and I wouldnt doubt we had more birds in Greene than anywhere in the state then. Last several years during highly visible period of early spring early amyou drive the entire length of the county and may see a handful. Flock seems to have stabilized last several years at the MUCH lower density. Most properties I hunt had multiple roost sites and tons of birds. Now most of them have 1 group or no birds at all roosting. Still kill a gobbler EVERY year,... Not complaining about that.. Just one helluva difference and really cant understand what happened. Pgc noticed somewhat I guess, having cut a week off the fall season. I dont see it as having made any difference though.

Cornelius, I have no clue why your turkey numbers in Greene would still be so low if no other factor such as recent development/ habitat lossis affecting it. (And turkeys are prettyadaptable anyhow.) Afriend of mine is from Greene originally and always talked about the huge flocksthey had back then. Statewide, we are looking at three to four years of great hatches and recruitment, and I believe Mary Jo Casalena stated she estimates flocks statewide at near record highs and there is a distinct possibility of a new record harvest this spring. Your situation sounds like its worth investigating, as folks in every corner of the state I've talked to other than yours are swamped with birds right now. Good luck getting any cooperation from the powers that be, though. Meanwhile if you like to travel a bit, you may want to head east and north....An houror two might make a huge difference.

Old 03-10-2009, 04:40 AM
Giant Nontypical

RSB,

Thanks for an interesting read. I'm sure some of us had some idea as to exactly how you guys live trapped and handled the birds but it was enlightening.

It is also a shame that the thread didnt last through three posts before Bluebird and Corneilius had to hijack it. Everyone should be entitled to air their views but it is sadthat no thread about Pennsylvania, or started b a Pennsylvanian can be left alone.
Old 03-10-2009, 06:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: BTBowhunter

Everyone should be entitled to air their views but it is sadthat no thread about Pennsylvania, or started b a Pennsylvanian can be left alone.
Doesn't evenhave to be a Pa thread or started by a Pa member to happen.[:'(]

Steve
Old 03-10-2009, 10:33 AM
Banned

Btb, your nothing but a whiney lil pot stirrer. The topic was the turkey study. I did ask rsb if he know of any studies for this area. I also added other commentary. Dont like it? Tough. Get over it.

You change the topic of EVERY post by initiated the "WAAA WAAA somebodies off topic! or WAA WAAA I dont like whattheyre saying..." Then THAT becomes the topic for several pages thereafter...Then proceed to name calling and insults. Why dont you pull your head out of your... For a change and grow the hell up?

I heard on the news the other day about a guy whowalked into a church and killed the preacher. His defense thus far has been that he has lymes disease and takes medication that causes erratic behaviour. I dont know about that extreme...But the erratic behaviour seems accurate.
Old 03-10-2009, 10:46 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Cornelius08

Btb, your nothing but a whiney lil pot stirrer. The topic was the turkey study. I did ask rsb if he know of any studies for this area. I also added other commentary. Dont like it? Tough. Get over it.

You change the topic of EVERY post by initiated the "WAAA WAAA somebodies off topic! or WAA WAAA I dont like whattheyre saying..." Then THAT becomes the topic for several pages thereafter...Then proceed to name calling and insults. Why dont you pull your head out of your... For a change and grow the hell up?

I heard on the news the other day about a guy whowalked into a church and killed the preacher. His defense thus far has been that he has lymes disease and takes medication that causes erratic behaviour. I dont know about that extreme...But the erratic behaviour seems accurate.
LOL All one has to do is look at any of your tantrum posts to know who really needs to grow up here. Name calling, insults and cheap shots? All of the above are contained in your last post as well as your first post on this thread and nobody had to do any of that to get you started.

I'm sorry thatthe deer management in PA frustrates you but it's no excuse for Bluebird to hijack every thread back to deer and it's no excuse for your tantrums either.
Old 03-10-2009, 11:03 AM
Banned

Other than part of one post I made in reply to Rsb's deer management mention, Ive spoken about turkey on 99.9% of my post content in this thread.

Till you checked in to whine and stir the pot. As usual.

And when I think I need your approval to make a comment about ANYTHING. I'll be sure and ask you for it. lololololol![8D]
Old 03-10-2009, 12:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm sorry that the deer management in PA frustrates you but it's no excuse for Bluebird to hijack every thread back to deer and it's no excuse for your tantrums either.
You picked the wrong thread to use as an example of hijacking a thread . After my reply to RSB's post the thread went right back to talking about turkeys , until you started complaining. The funny thing is you have no problem repeatedly hijacking threads by turning threads into bash bluebird sessions that are totally off topic, but if I say something that is off topic ,to you it is a major problem.

Quick Reply: Turkey research trapping

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.