Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

WE'LL WAIT TILL THEY DIE

Old 03-09-2009, 07:03 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: WE'LL WAIT TILL THEY DIE

ORIGINAL: livbucks

ORIGINAL: sproulman

when dad took us hunting,he would only let us kill a few doe in each area.
this was publicland.
A lot of the problem with things is the longer season on antlerless. Hunters have far more opportunity to fill those tags now. I've never cared for concurrent seasons personally. People also seem to take no peronal responsibility for their actions. Many areas need hunting pressure and some need a break. The GC has a limit to how small they can break down the WMUs. This is where the common sense should kick in on the hunter's part. Instead of sitting in the same spots that aren't producing, why not go where the deer are actually at? This is why the longer concurrent season's are messing with you guys. A hunter will wait out a spot in a low density area and shoot the last doe there. instead of hitting a more productive area that can use the harvest. Scouting and productive efforts are lost when hunters are no longer under the gun to fill that tag within a three day window.
It all works out to an inconsistent use of the harvest as a means of controlling the herd across the landscape. Some hunters are unsatisfied and the GC does not get the harvest
that is warranted in the denser pockets of concentration.
RESPECTFULLY, HERE IN CLINTON/POTTER COUNTY THERE ARE NOT MORE PRODUCTIVE AREAS.

THEY WERE GONE OVER 10 YEARS AGO AND LONGER.
But my point is that the longer concurrent season allows guys to wait out those thin areas and pop that very last doe. You are reading me wrong Sproul.
If they only had three days, they might look elsewhere.
BTW, I hunted clinton years ago and never went back...know why? Too hard a walking up those mountains to see yote tracks, buzzards and no deer all day. And that was near the herd's peak years.
Livbucks, those mountains do test you don't they? Hunting there has been an addiction for me since the mid 60's. And when I introduced hunting to my son a few years ago, he too became entranced bythe beauty of those mountains and cabin life. We have scratch hard to find deer, but that's only part of the reason why we hunt there. I will be hunting Berks/Schuylkill some during archery season this yearas well as Clinton County. But when December rolls around, I'll be at my cabin.
Old 03-09-2009, 07:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Great country and it has a mystique for sure. I enjoyed being there but if it was a deer I wanted, there were other places that called me more. I remember the last time I was there. I didn't see so much as even one little bird all day. I did see a buzzard floating as was customary, and somewhat puzzling because what was it waiting on to die...ME? I was the only creature for miles.
It still was an adventure though, no argument here.
Old 03-10-2009, 07:07 AM
Giant Nontypical

Great country and it has a mystique for sure. I enjoyed being there but if it was a deer I wanted, there were other places that called me more. I remember the last time I was there. I didn't see so much as even one little bird all day. I did see a buzzard floating as was customary, and somewhat puzzling because what was it waiting on to die...ME? I was the only creature for miles.
It still was an adventure though, no argument here.
guys, both clinton/potter are beautiful area.

you are right.

people look at VAST, RUGGED,REMOTE ,HIGH mountains,they say SPROUL THERE HAS TO BE DEER THERE,NO ONE GOES IN THOSE AREAS FOR YEARS

i get kick out of that saying.

there is not 1 inch of that land that is not hunted hard each year.
DCNR boys know where EVERY nice buck is and they get them.camps know and FLATLANDERS know

but for people that look up at beauty of it, i guess most would figure different.

its sad what we used to have.

it was nothing to see 10 squirreals a day easy.

10 grouse easy,over 30 deer easy on ride to VAST mountains.

now are you see is fox,bobcats, coyotes and COUGAR once in awhile