Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

WE'LL WAIT TILL THEY DIE

Old 03-07-2009, 03:08 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: WE'LL WAIT TILL THEY DIE

Or maybe he hasn't moved to another area to, "where the deer are". Isn't that right livbucks? I am still waiting for you to clarify what you were trying to say.
Old 03-07-2009, 05:51 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: Coalcracker

Seems everyone want to blame the older guys for everything, those of us in our 50's, 60's and 70's. But remember we did our part by having sons and turning them into hunters, now recruitment is out of our hands. It's the 30 and 40 year olds dropping the ball, quit playing on your computers and go do what comes naturally. If any of you need help, let us know when you'll be going out of state to hunt.
No ball dropped here,,,born 1-1967 and my son at age 16 is alreay a die hard,,,he took his girlfriend to NRA today to do some indoor shooting and im just hopin that once they left there he did'nt do what comes naturally
Old 03-08-2009, 03:39 AM

40 Hour week is long past my friends, we will never go back to that. 20 years and more ago to punch a clock at 40 and get paid was fine. Today's work climate requires 60 + hours to kep up. In our furor for more info, we created a demand for more work to time to get it. I have few short hours so they are spent coaching VBall, being at BBall practices, Advisor in 4H, etc. I am fortunate in that I have a camp in PA but it ain't easy getting there w/ just regular life things happening. Look at the size of your yards at home....newer homes have postage stamp yards and there is a good chance that a gardener takes care of it because I'm working or some other "time" constraint. Fast food at all time highs , they have not experienced a big down turn in this economy. When I do get down time I am asleep......So let me ask you where i should take my daughter from, sports that she loves, 4H that she loves (mother and i are involved) or away from her mother (who is iffy at best about camp and hunting) to the mountains? I happen to do the latter, as my wife also works and uses the time we are gone to play catch up on house work.What I'm saying here guys is it isn't the want to get in the woods more, it's the time and need. As we are going to find out real quick in our Obama world and looking at our economy, we are going to havwe to start evaluating whether it is a want or a need in our lives before we do anything. Because at 53, I'm getting damn tired of working more and more , being on the road and seeing posts like these blaming me for not carrying on the tradition. How many schools still get 1st day of buck of, very few....Times change, clocks don't go back and hunting is evolving right wrong or indifferent. We indeed might be the last generation of 'HARD' & 'Dedicated' hunters. Dad's just can't get up and go to camp (most both spouses work, no excuse like it's my vacation) , take a week, or the 1st day of buck and are lucky to get 5-6 days off in a season to hunt. So go ahead and beat on me, it won't change the world boys and the way life is now vs. what it used to be............
Old 03-08-2009, 07:08 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Maverick 1

ORIGINAL: bluebird2
Or, you can look at the ratio of antlerless tags to the number of doe harvested. In 2000 780K tags produced a harvest of 302K antlerless ,but in 2007 869K tags only produced a harvest of 213K doe
so ,if hunting is better than ever ,isn't it obvious that a lot of hunters are passing on doe?.
I am sure there is some truth to what you are saying bluebird, about fellows choosing to pass on the doe. I for one am one of them but, I think it is more likely they are not seeing any doe shoot.

i dont SEE many passing on doebut some say they are.

usually ones that cant look you in eye and say that are ones that are shooting a doe but saying they are not.

i saw 4 of those types with 4 doe with DMAP tags on doe but were not shot in the DMAP areas.

latest now is shoot a doe on privateland and tag it with a DMAP TAG.

i wish i hadproof enough to have them arrested, i know they do it but i cant prove it.

but next year, I AM GOING TO SEE IF WCO IS INTERESTED IN NAILING THEM,YES, THEY ARE MY LOCAL FRIENDS TOO.
Old 03-08-2009, 07:36 AM
Fork Horn

40 hour weeks are for people that punch a clock and I wasn't one of them. We all choose our own profession and I knew very well what I was getting into, when I graduated in 1960.

I usually didn't see my children during the week because they were asleep when I arrived home, we didn't have microwaves in those days, so my evening meal was heated in the oven. My wife only worked one year after we were married, she put all her paychecks in the bank for a downpayment on a house. We purchased a house thatwe could afford on only my salary, only had one car and lived on meat and potatoes, not junk take home fast food.

I didn't have the money or the time to hunt from a cabin. To be able to take the first day of buck off, usually required that I work the Saturday before, just to be allowed to take Monday as vacation.First Saturday I would work Friday night for four or five hours, to be able to go out for a day of hunting. Second Saturday, I usually worked to be able to schedule a vacation day for the First day of doe, if buck season started early enough in November, I could get the second day of doe off.

As you can see, I was one of those one or two hunters, that our PGC supporters are always running down. I didn't have a lot of time to scout, hunt or spend time with my family, but I made time wherever I could.

I never was a alpha hunter, nor did I ever intend to be, always enjoyed my time out hunting no matter the outcome.

I would want to change things, even if I could go back. I feel I had a fruitful life, have three boys that tried hunting and a daughter that never would fire a gun. The only thing that saddens me is that my wife missed out on a lot, last two marriages of our children, two of our three grandchildren and one on the way. My family always meant more to me than going hunting, I wouldn't hesitate to give up a day or season of hunting for my family.

Old 03-08-2009, 07:53 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: sproulman

Or, you can look at the ratio of antlerless tags to the number of doe harvested. In 2000 780K tags produced a harvest of 302K antlerless ,but in 2007 869K tags only produced a harvest of 213K doe
so ,if hunting is better than ever ,isn't it obvious that a lot of hunters are passing on doe?.
I am sure there is some truth to what you are saying bluebird, about fellows choosing to pass on the doe. I for one am one of them but, I think it is more likely they are not seeing any doe shoot.

usually ones that cant look you in eye and say that are ones that are shooting a doe but saying they are not.

i saw 4 of those types with 4 doe with DMAP tags on doe but were not shot in the DMAP areas.

i wish i hadproof enough to have them arrested, i know they do it but i cant prove it.

but next year, I AM GOING TO SEE IF WCO IS INTERESTED IN NAILING THEM,YES, THEY ARE MY LOCAL FRIENDS TOO.
Sproul, all of the illegal acts that I know of, were done by local hunters.
they would fill their freezers with deer, when we were only allowed one. What broke up our group of drivers was, hunters that already shot their deer, arguing they should be allowed to post to shoot another. There always were greedy hunters, but now with all the doe tags, they can legally fill their freezers.

When you hear about guys shooting three, four and five deer, doesn't it make you wonder, what they did when only allowed one deer?
Old 03-08-2009, 08:09 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: livbucks

when dad took us hunting,he would only let us kill a few doe in each area.
this was publicland.
A lot of the problem with things is the longer season on antlerless. Hunters have far more opportunity to fill those tags now. I've never cared for concurrent seasons personally. People also seem to take no peronal responsibility for their actions. Many areas need hunting pressure and some need a break. The GC has a limit to how small they can break down the WMUs. This is where the common sense should kick in on the hunter's part. Instead of sitting in the same spots that aren't producing, why not go where the deer are actually at? This is why the longer concurrent season's are messing with you guys. A hunter will wait out a spot in a low density area and shoot the last doe there. instead of hitting a more productive area that can use the harvest. Scouting and productive efforts are lost when hunters are no longer under the gun to fill that tag within a three day window.
It all works out to an inconsistent use of the harvest as a means of controlling the herd across the landscape. Some hunters are unsatisfied and the GC does not get the harvest
that is warranted in the denser pockets of concentration.
RESPECTFULLY, HERE IN CLINTON/POTTER COUNTY THERE ARE NOT MORE PRODUCTIVE AREAS.

THEY WERE GONE OVER 10 YEARS AGO AND LONGER.
Old 03-08-2009, 08:20 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Coalcracker

Sproul, all of the illegal acts that I know of, were done by local hunters.
they would fill their freezers with deer, when we were only allowed one. What broke up our group of drivers was, hunters that already shot their deer, arguing they should be allowed to post to shoot another. There always were greedy hunters, but now with all the doe tags, they can legally fill their freezers.

When you hear about guys shooting three, four and five deer, doesn't it make you wonder, what they did when only allowed one deer?
very true.

when you could not carry a fireman in woods after you shot a deer, doe got away for next year.

now, heck you can carry a THOMPSON PISTOL and even illegally spotlight with it and nothing can be done.

everything today is to allow more killing of doe.

i could see it if you have like 20 dpsm in area that is allowed 12.

but what about area like CLINTON/POTTER that is allowed 12 dpsm and now its down to 4 or 6 or less.

doe killing continues.

i did see some promising things,MOST of locals or lets say half did not kill doe this year,other half did.

thats reduction of about 25% from 75% to 50%.

but in came more crews from out of area than i ever saw on saturday/monday/tuesday of 2nd week.

9 crews from out of area drove where i hunted and killed 1 doe.9 crews with average of 8 hunters in crew.

sad thing is they have great hunting where they came from.

Old 03-08-2009, 09:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: livbucks

when dad took us hunting,he would only let us kill a few doe in each area.
this was publicland.
A lot of the problem with things is the longer season on antlerless. Hunters have far more opportunity to fill those tags now. I've never cared for concurrent seasons personally. People also seem to take no peronal responsibility for their actions. Many areas need hunting pressure and some need a break. The GC has a limit to how small they can break down the WMUs. This is where the common sense should kick in on the hunter's part. Instead of sitting in the same spots that aren't producing, why not go where the deer are actually at? This is why the longer concurrent season's are messing with you guys. A hunter will wait out a spot in a low density area and shoot the last doe there. instead of hitting a more productive area that can use the harvest. Scouting and productive efforts are lost when hunters are no longer under the gun to fill that tag within a three day window.
It all works out to an inconsistent use of the harvest as a means of controlling the herd across the landscape. Some hunters are unsatisfied and the GC does not get the harvest
that is warranted in the denser pockets of concentration.
RESPECTFULLY, HERE IN CLINTON/POTTER COUNTY THERE ARE NOT MORE PRODUCTIVE AREAS.

THEY WERE GONE OVER 10 YEARS AGO AND LONGER.
But my point is that the longer concurrent season allows guys to wait out those thin areas and pop that very last doe. You are reading me wrong Sproul.
If they only had three days, they might look elsewhere.
BTW, I hunted clinton years ago and never went back...know why? Too hard a walking up those mountains to see yote tracks, buzzards and no deer all day. And that was near the herd's peak years.

Old 03-08-2009, 10:42 AM
Giant Nontypical

i am all for 3 day doe only in clinton/potter county.

i am also in favor in those counties, 1 DEER AND YOUR DONE.

also it should be 3 points for all of us.

stop early in-line rifle season in archery,let archery hunters alone

if all that happen, you would not here me complain anymore.

this would also be more fair to hunters that are not in woods everyday like me,at least some deer would be left for them come gun season and the 3 day of doe.

i know, some will say,BUT ARCHERY HUNTERS WILL KILL OFF THE DOE.

i see very few doe killed with bow in archery, most archery hunters are after a buck.

anyway you look at it, i will not get my wish list, just a lot of hot air going no where.

Quick Reply: WE'LL WAIT TILL THEY DIE

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.