Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Is the P.G.C. in suicide mode?

Old 03-03-2009, 05:41 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Is the P.G.C. in suicide mode?

So I'm hearing two stories here. One story has a BOC member in a position to benefit from inclusion and the other does not. Which one is true?

You'll likely "hear" lots of stories here. Some folks are alsobig on mountain lions, so the occasional phantom tale about commissioners and PGC employees, always find a willing ear.

All I did was relate what I know about each BOC member. Haven't been able to spot the one that's supposedly in the position to personally profit from xbow inclusion yet.
Old 03-03-2009, 05:59 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: DennyF

So I'm hearing two stories here. One story has a BOC member in a position to benefit from inclusion and the other does not. Which one is true?

You'll likely "hear" lots of stories here. Some folks are alsobig on mountain lions, so the occasional phantom tale about commissioners and PGC employees, always find a willing ear.

All I did was relate what I know about each BOC member. Haven't been able to spot the one that's supposedly in the position to personally profit from xbow inclusion yet.
This kinda brings me back to my questions regarding inclusion and gaining a better understanding about the process and decision making.How many hunters expressed their views (for and against) to the BOC? 100? 1,000? 10,000?
Old 03-03-2009, 06:32 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: BTBowhunter

ORIGINAL: blkpowder

What REALLY stinks is that one board member will now reap finacial rewards as a direct result of full inclusion because he owns a shop that sells xbows. He should have recused himself from the whole process.

No BOC member that I'm aware of, who will profit from the inclusion of xbows in archery seasons. Neitheroutgoing commissionerSchleiden nor Palonewill benefit. Boop is an attorney; Schreffler is a retired educator, farmer, etc; Delaney is a professional fireman/EMT; Weaner is a school teacher.

Some on other boards have insisted Isabella will, because "he owns a gunshop". Isabella doesn't own a "gunshop". He's a partner in a business whose primary focus is in sellingPolice equipment and related firearms.
Is it not Schleiden, that has the sports shop?
I too, had read that Schleiden had a shop and sold crossbows. If that is not accurate, I will stand corrected. I did read it and I dont think it was on a forum like this. I beleive it was aprinted source. Dang, now I gotta go look for it.

When it was brought up here, RSB seemed to know what and who we were talking about as he expressed the opinion that the shop was located in a SRA and wouldn't likely see a big growth in xbow sales since they were already in a crossbow legal area.
I remember reading the statement thatthe shop was in an SRA and crossbows were already legal. It had to be on a forum though, but I don't remember what BOC member it was about or who posted it.

I don't want tosee your busted, busted, so I won't commit to any names.
Old 03-04-2009, 05:31 AM
Giant Nontypical

I just seems science is used to promote a program when it supplies catalysis for program that results in achieving their predetermined goal.Yet when science can be used to justify the altering ofa program they are ignored.
The ongoing wood rat study should bring about some eye opening conclusions to the hows and whys of every day living in the moderntimes, wood rats life.[:-]
Old 03-04-2009, 08:12 AM
Typical Buck

Maybe they'll auction off an xbowwood rat tag at next year's Important SmallMammals national convention?
Old 03-04-2009, 08:46 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: the outsider

This kinda brings me back to my questions regarding inclusion and gaining a better understanding about the process and decision making.How many hunters expressed their views (for and against) to the BOC? 100? 1,000? 10,000?
This is what 2 of the Commissioners felt on the day of the vote for inclusion: Actual minutes from the meeting.

Commissioner Weaner:

My vote on the crossbow issue will be no:

Felt overwhelmingly hunters were opposed to them.

Felt it was foolish to upset the majority of PA hunters.

He felt there would not be the big recruitment as many proclaimed.

Just saw no up side for inclusion.

Commissioner Boop:

I intend to vote no.

Stated that for two years he was the President of the BOC. In that position he controlled the dissemination of information to the BOC. In that time he never saw crossbows on the radar.

In June of last year one commissioner suggested we look at it. Seven months later here we are on a final vote to approve it.

The BOC has always moved slow. Slow and methodical on bear archery, deer management, and other seasons and initiatives (he had a long list).

Why the rush on this??

He stated, every commissioner got 500 to a 1000 emails and letters on this issue. The urban areas more on the high side. In his emails, it went 90/10. 90% opposed inclusion. He was hearing the same from other commissioners.

He agreed with Commissioner Weaner, that the BOC was going to annoy hunters and harm the six week archery season.

He suggested that it was legislative interference and threats driving this vote. Mentioned that regardless of the vote by the BOC, members of the legislature have indicated they would introduce bills to stop inclusion, or mandate inclusion. Legislative interference is the last thing we (hunters) need.

Suggested options for, and types of info needed to be studied. Stated that if this is such a good proposal now, it will still be a good proposal in 2010. Lets do due diligence on this and not rush.

He noted that the BOC is changing. There will be three new commissioners on board by next year. They will need to deal with the fallout of this decision. Doesn't seem fair.

Vote this down, or table it and do the due diligence.

Commissioner Boop then made a formal amendment proposal to table the agenda item.

Amendment failed 3-4

Yeahs: Boop, Weaner, Delaney

Old 03-04-2009, 12:20 PM
Typical Buck

9 to 1 opposed to xbow inclusion is the figure I heard.

But I also was told by one Commissioner that this "ratio" had quickly started to level off, once the NRA issued their 2 Cents worth on the subject and started sending out emails for xbowinclusion in PA.

This is why many archers who are also NRA Life members,are now PO'd at the NRA for sticking its nose into this tussle. I'm a life member of the NRA and have volunteered on their behalf here in PAquite often, especially over the past 16 years.

Other thanthe "straw grab"put forth that xbow inclusion will somehow magically cause more people to buy a PAhunting license, I'm at a loss to explain to anyonewhy the NRA would jump into this one at the last minute.
Old 03-04-2009, 12:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

I just seems science is used to promote a program when it supplies catalysis for program that results in achieving their predetermined goal.Yet when science can be used to justify the altering of a program they are ignored.
I am still waiting for someone to explain the science the PGC uses to allocate doe tags based on herd health and forest health. As yet , I have not seen a rational correlation between forest health , the number of tags allocated and the deer densities.
Old 03-04-2009, 01:23 PM
Banned

"Maybe they'll auction off an xbowwood rat tag at next year's Important SmallMammals national convention? "

What, and have you march on city hall to protect the rat Denny? LMAO!
Old 03-04-2009, 03:28 PM
Typical Buck

Today is National Good Grammar Day, I just finished up putting 20 dozen 1.5mm beads on 20 dozen #18 hooks, and to top it off I just heard a report that Merrill Lynch gave their top 11 execs bonuses last year that totalled $200 million. The final straw was when I found out this afternoon that my $12 a bag roll-your-own smoking tobacco will cost me $25 starting April first.

I better refrain from comment on the PGCs BOCs until a later date.

Quick Reply: Is the P.G.C. in suicide mode?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.