Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

crossbows will bring new blood!

Old 03-08-2009, 07:19 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: crossbows will bring new blood!

ORIGINAL: DougE

We do require people take a bowhunter-ed coursebut sadly,people still do alot of stupid things anyway.

I don't buy for one minute that people don't have time to become proficient with a bow.That's a copout.Idon't get home most evenings until well past dark.I shoot onweekends throuighout the year and during boww season,I take 4 shots every morning before I go to work.
DOUGE,i sight in crossbows year round in my basement at 20 yds.

if you get one, it will not be necessary to shoot 4 arrows a morning.

you can put arrow in same hole over and over at 20 yds.

only practice is to shoot off hand,yes, you can keep sharp that way but on rest like your knee or tree etc,to 30 yds is a no brainer.

what worries me is what i am reading about 1 person getting crossbow and others using it.

each of us looks in scope different.

these scopes have no parallax adjustment .

so, you are going to get all kinds of different impact points from different users.

out to 20 yds, no problem but 30/40/50 ,yes big problems.

now stryforce is pushing shooting to 60 yds etc.

brainless idiots and poor deer will suffer on it.

dam it makes you mad.

one thing a compound shooter knows is his limits.

new crossbow shooters i dont think will know their limits,some will ,most will not as long as SCOPE says they can shoot 50yds.
Old 03-09-2009, 05:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

I won't be using a crossbow Sproul.
Old 03-09-2009, 05:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

In the end, I'll still think the crossgun an asnine shortcut and you will still think they are the best thing since sliced bread.
AndI will contine to think the same about the compound device when compared to traditional bows (my choice)where you not only have to draw the bow, but hold the ENTIRE wght to shoot.
The learning curve is months, if not years and 1000's, of arrows to be hunting accurate.
Compared to what can be learned in a weekend with a compound and maintained with a few arrows the night before opener.

But the difference is I accept and do not care that you want to hunt the archery season by taking a shortcut and extend this to crossBOWS as well.

Steve

Old 03-09-2009, 06:55 AM
Typical Buck

Only "new blood" I can see coming in,would benon-archers buying an xbow and archery license, so they cannowtake a whack at deer huntingearlier than they've been used to doing. It won't mean new hunters, just more archery licenses sold.

People that wanted to give deerhunting a whirl,have probably already hunted deer in firearms seasons. I'velent a rifle to such people that wanted to try hunting, years ago. Some stayed with it, some didn't.