Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

crossbows will bring new blood!

Old 03-02-2009, 05:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: crossbows will bring new blood!

We do require people take a bowhunter-ed coursebut sadly,people still do alot of stupid things anyway.

I don't buy for one minute that people don't have time to become proficient with a bow.That's a copout.Idon't get home most evenings until well past dark.I shoot onweekends throuighout the year and during boww season,I take 4 shots every morning before I go to work.
Old 03-02-2009, 06:02 AM
Giant Nontypical

Take a lesson from the PA situation guys. The crossbow is probably coming to your state too. Pennsylvania wasn't the first but was the HUGE domino to fall in this game.

As SS said, bowhunter edcouldgo a long wayto preventthe new blood from coming in as bad blood. Pa opponents to the crossbowobviously made a mistake with their all or nothing oppostion and missed the chance to fix the biggest potential that could come with crossbow invlusionissue with
Old 03-02-2009, 07:24 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: BTBowhunter

Take a lesson from the PA situation guys. The crossbow is probably coming to your state too. Pennsylvania wasn't the first but was the HUGE domino to fall in this game.

As SS said, bowhunter edcouldgo a long wayto preventthe new blood from coming in as bad blood. Pa opponents to the crossbowobviously made a mistake with their all or nothing oppostion and missed the chance to fix the biggest potential that could come with crossbow invlusionissue with
No doubt the xbow legislation would be an easier pill to swallow if they had taken those steps to initiate a mandatory bowhunter ed course at the same time...FOR ALL BOWHUNTERS. If I'm not mistaken some states already require it, but adding another program for the PGC to run at this point would be a mistake. Considering maybe half or so of the bowhunters I know/ see spend what I would consider enough practice time preseason and during as well...I fear the worst with the crossbows. I wonder how many would attempt a neck or shoulder shot, bad angle, or some brush interference,forgetting that while it may handle like a gun, it is most assuredly not one. I hope to God they are going to prove me wrong.
Old 03-02-2009, 07:57 AM
Giant Nontypical

That one is easy. The NBEF already has a quality bowhunter ed course that is recognized all over. Accepting their course would be the way to go.
Old 03-02-2009, 08:00 AM
Giant Nontypical

It's probably more feasible to simply grandfatherexisting bowhunters and make it mandatory for all newbies
Old 03-02-2009, 01:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sight it in the day before and call it good. That in my opinion is not what archerys about. Thats exactly the mindset I don't want in the archery woods.
Hang around any place bows are sold the week before season.
First time I did, I was shocked at how many "bowhunters" do exactly that.
Everything from taking it out of the closet to find a broken string to getting set up for the 1st time.
Watch someone shoot 5 arrows, hit the paper with 3 and say "good to go".
Buy a new style broadhead, screw them on new arrows and never see how they fly.
Could go on and on with examples of how few actually do what I would consider minimum prep to hit the woods.

I don't think this is what bowhunting is about either - perhaps crossbows would actually cut down on the damage this group does.
Can't make it worse.

Steve
Old 03-02-2009, 01:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

i simply see a xbow as a easier bow to shoot. You are right steve so many pull their bow out a week or so before and ahhhhhhhh thats good [:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][>:][X(][:@]
Old 03-02-2009, 04:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

From another website by permissiom of the poster.

[blockquote]quote:

Is a crossbow a bow?

In the majority of the world the answer would be yes, they are *archery equipment.*

Only in the United States do you get some bowhunters and bowhunting organizations that don't think that. Of course they are "protecting their own".

THE NAA - the OLDEST archery organization have recognized crossbows for about 60 years. The International Bowhunters Organization has had a crossbow division for several years AND growing every year. THE NFAA now recognizes crossbows at its VEGAS championships. Atlantic City had crossbow divisions for years, that shoot was recently acquired by the NFAA, but its crossbow division is several decades old.

The Archery Trade Association and its predecessor, the Archery Manufacturers Organization recognizes crossbows as archery equipment.

So does most retail dealers- almost every shop that sells archery equipment and guns have crossbows in the archery department, not the firearm counter. Go into Bass Pro or Cabela’s or ****s and see where the crossbows are kept.

Every archery catalog I get from the retailers has crossbows in it. Bow and Arrow Magazine carries crossbow advertising.

According to the Internal Revenue Service, the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service and all state wildlife agencies, crossbows are archery equipment:

- Crossbows and accessories that attach to crossbows as well as crossbow arrows are defined in the Internal Revenue Code that pertains to the archery excise tax.

- The US Fish & Wildlife Service receives the archery excise tax funds - of which about 10% are from crossbows - from the IRS and allocates those dollars to the state wildlife agencies through the Pittman Robertson program.

- State wildlife agencies receive archery excise tax dollars in amounts determined by a formula that includes the number of licensed hunters (including all those who hunt with crossbows) and the area of the state.

Regardless of what we think, the government treats crossbows like archery equipment.

Now with compound bows - The International Olympic Committee doesn't recognize compounds as archery equipment. The PAN AMERICAN games don't recognize compounds as archery equipment. Neither does some of those ultra elitist traditional heads up the butt groups.

Why have crossbows been welcomed at NAA sanctioned shoots many years longer then the compound bow?

Several European countries don’t recognize any archery gear for any hunting purpose. Thanks to bowhunters in England that complained that the crossbows were “inhumane” After a government study they ended up banning all archery hunting as “inhumane”.

I don't think we want to head down that path..

A crossbow propels an arrow from the fastly forward moving string powered by a set of bent limbs. The trajectory of the arrow is VERY similar to that of an arrow launched by a compound bow. On the end of that arrow is the same broadhead that is used by any other hunting archer. That arrow kills that deer from lung collapse and blood loss.

Sounds like archery to me.

[/blockquote]
Old 03-03-2009, 03:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

indeed it does steve
Old 03-08-2009, 04:26 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: SteveBNy

From another website by permissiom of the poster.

[blockquote]quote:

Is a crossbow a bow?

In the majority of the world the answer would be yes, they are *archery equipment.*

Only in the United States do you get some bowhunters and bowhunting organizations that don't think that. Of course they are "protecting their own".

THE NAA - the OLDEST archery organization have recognized crossbows for about 60 years. The International Bowhunters Organization has had a crossbow division for several years AND growing every year. THE NFAA now recognizes crossbows at its VEGAS championships. Atlantic City had crossbow divisions for years, that shoot was recently acquired by the NFAA, but its crossbow division is several decades old.

The Archery Trade Association and its predecessor, the Archery Manufacturers Organization recognizes crossbows as archery equipment.

So does most retail dealers- almost every shop that sells archery equipment and guns have crossbows in the archery department, not the firearm counter. Go into Bass Pro or Cabela’s or ****s and see where the crossbows are kept.

Every archery catalog I get from the retailers has crossbows in it. Bow and Arrow Magazine carries crossbow advertising.

According to the Internal Revenue Service, the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service and all state wildlife agencies, crossbows are archery equipment:

- Crossbows and accessories that attach to crossbows as well as crossbow arrows are defined in the Internal Revenue Code that pertains to the archery excise tax.

- The US Fish & Wildlife Service receives the archery excise tax funds - of which about 10% are from crossbows - from the IRS and allocates those dollars to the state wildlife agencies through the Pittman Robertson program.

- State wildlife agencies receive archery excise tax dollars in amounts determined by a formula that includes the number of licensed hunters (including all those who hunt with crossbows) and the area of the state.

Regardless of what we think, the government treats crossbows like archery equipment.

Now with compound bows - The International Olympic Committee doesn't recognize compounds as archery equipment. The PAN AMERICAN games don't recognize compounds as archery equipment. Neither does some of those ultra elitist traditional heads up the butt groups.

Why have crossbows been welcomed at NAA sanctioned shoots many years longer then the compound bow?

Several European countries don’t recognize any archery gear for any hunting purpose. Thanks to bowhunters in England that complained that the crossbows were “inhumane” After a government study they ended up banning all archery hunting as “inhumane”.

I don't think we want to head down that path..

A crossbow propels an arrow from the fastly forward moving string powered by a set of bent limbs. The trajectory of the arrow is VERY similar to that of an arrow launched by a compound bow. On the end of that arrow is the same broadhead that is used by any other hunting archer. That arrow kills that deer from lung collapse and blood loss.

Sounds like archery to me.

[/blockquote]
No Corny, this is what I'm referring to, not one persons opinion.

Quick Reply: crossbows will bring new blood!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.