Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Intoducing a new hunter

Old 02-17-2009, 04:13 AM
Typical Buck

Default Intoducing a new hunter

For the past couple of years,there has been numerous programs and organazations dedicated towards the recruitment of new hunters.Our sportsmans club always puts on a big day for the kids every second sunday of September. We cover hunting and fishing. They get to tie flies,have a casting contest for both accuracey and distance.Shoot bows,air and rimfire rifles,depending on age of particapint.They get to use turkey,duck and deer calls.We have all kind of food and beverages for them. At the end of the day they all are given a small gift bag,with fishing tackle,game call,hunting cap and so on.Just two years ago, I got my daughters best friend, boy friend now husband into hunting. This past season, his wife purchased a license and hunted with him. I would like to hear from those who have done some type of program like our club. Some of the events you provide to the participants.Also anyone who has introduced someone into hunting and how you did it. [/align]Thanks Guys![/align]
Old 02-17-2009, 08:25 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Intoducing a new hunter

ORIGINAL: blkpowder

For the past couple of years,there has been numerous programs and organazations dedicated towards the recruitment of new hunters.Our sportsmans club always puts on a big day for the kids every second sunday of September. We cover hunting and fishing. They get to tie flies,have a casting contest for both accuracey and distance.Shoot bows,air and rimfire rifles,depending on age of particapint.They get to use turkey,duck and deer calls.We have all kind of food and beverages for them. At the end of the day they all are given a small gift bag,with fishing tackle,game call,hunting cap and so on.Just two years ago, I got my daughters best friend, boy friend now husband into hunting. This past season, his wife purchased a license and hunted with him. I would like to hear from those who have done some type of program like our club. Some of the events you provide to the participants.Also anyone who has introduced someone into hunting and how you did it.
[/align]Thanks Guys!
[/align]

It sounds like what your club is already doing is very close to the Youth Field Day Events held in many Counties across the state.

I would suggest you talk with you local WCO about both your Club programs and what is or might be available as Youth Field Day Events in the area. If there isn’t already a Youth Field Day Event you might well be able to get some additional incentives and support for what your club is already doing. If there is already a Youth Field Day Event in your area you and your club might be able to join forces and make an even bigger and better event for the area youth.

R.S. Bodenhorn
Old 02-17-2009, 08:39 AM
Typical Buck

Thanks R.S.B!
Old 02-17-2009, 02:11 PM
Giant Nontypical

Our clubs youth field day is a huge success as well. You might also want to talk to your local chapter of the NWTF. Some chapters do a similar event calles JAKES which stands for Juniors Acquiring Knowledge Ethics and Sportamanship. There's one here in Westmoreland County that attracts a couple hundred kids ever year.
Old 02-17-2009, 06:18 PM
Typical Buck

Thanks to you also BTB. Is that chapter located in or near Hecla?
Old 02-17-2009, 06:41 PM
Giant Nontypical

Not sure where Hecla is ?!?!? I know that particular JAKES event takes place near Youngwood but it's been a few years since I was involved in that one.
Old 02-18-2009, 01:50 PM
Typical Buck

As far as getting someone involved in hunting my suggestion is this... Do not make their first experience a boring one- deer in pa are not the best game to get someone started with. You need to get them excited and have some action. I rather not go to a game farm to shoot pheasants but for the first timer this will provide a guaranteed success. I 've gotten my step son into deer hunting after he small game hunted and we have spent many nights pre-season spotting. He was able to see deer and this was enough to get him excited about deer hunting.
Old 02-18-2009, 02:25 PM
Giant Nontypical

A warm October afternoon in the squirrel woodswas my favorite for the first trips with kids in tow. I started all 3 of mine around 4 or 5. they couldn't hunt but they lovedbeing part of it. Plenty of snacks and a drink and a comforatble seat or stooland make sure you let them spot the critters before you shoot
Old 02-18-2009, 02:53 PM
Typical Buck

Thanks gentleman, this was also the other reason I started this thread. I took my first timers out in dove season or spring turkey.Both seasons are pleasant weather hunting. Dove season gives you for the most part, a good bit of shooting. Plus you don't have to be as quit or motionless as on some hunts. Turkey season a new hunter gets to experience the conversation,you the hunter, with the turkey your are calling. Even on slow day's, I would call in some crows and the person I had out thought it was so cool.Or even first light when after giving an owl call, another owl would respond. Better yet, when that old gobbler fired back at us from his roost.Most new hunters first response was,man,that put goose bumps on the back of my neck. My response,yeah,this is heaven![/align]
Old 02-18-2009, 05:16 PM
Giant Nontypical

One of the best days of my life was the archery opener with my oldest son when he turned 12. I was in the tree with him when he shot his first archery deer after only one hour in the woods on his very first day of hunting for anything where he was the shooter!

What a great feeling it was!!!

Quick Reply: Intoducing a new hunter

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.