Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Winter is getting hard on em..

Old 02-09-2009, 04:17 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default Winter is getting hard on em..

Winter up this way is getting to be a hard year on the deer once again this year. The snow is about average for this time of year in my area. It has been very cold for the most part though. We had some mixed rain and snow a little while back. Then a warm day yesterday with temps up into the mid 40s and another blast of cold air. The coyotes are moving in on the deer now that they can run on top of the snow. Several reports of coyote kills are coming in. Last year the snow was deep but not crusted like it is now and the coyotes had a hard go of it. This year the deer are starting to take a toll from those predators though.. I hope it gets better for the deer after last winters hard year on them and now this.. Anyways just a rant knowing not much can be done about it right now. The coyote hunters are saying that they have stopped coming to bait with deer kills going on right now..
Old 02-09-2009, 08:42 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Winter is getting hard on em..

I agree I,m in the NorthEast also and its been a long cold winter hear .
I.d say just above average snow fall so far .
Last year I seen less deer and a lot more coydogs .
I plan on eliminating a few more coydogs this year at every opportunity .
It used to be I might have seen one coydog in the daylight all season ,
Now I see 8 to 10 per season .
I did a little more tree cutting this year to help out the deer until we grt some warmer weather .
Old 02-10-2009, 03:17 AM
Typical Buck

The best place to kill yotes is at the deer feeders. When they come in to the feeders after the deer . Mow um down with a AK-47. Thats what we do.
Old 02-10-2009, 04:38 AM
Typical Buck

Thankfully, winter seems to havegiven us a temporary reprievefrom its icy grip here in NC Pa. The snow and ice are melting, and we can see bare ground in alot of areas. The temp today is suppposed to be in the mid 50s with lows tonight in the 40s, and that should rid us of most of the white plague. I'll be glad to see it gone so I can begin shed hunting.
Old 02-10-2009, 04:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

yep snow is leaving here in nepa for a few days anyway hoope your weather gets better up there phil
Old 02-10-2009, 05:52 PM
Typical Buck

In this area we have a lot of snow in some areas though it seems the deer have pulled out of the wintering grounds again for the time being. It came just in time. I was seeing signs of stress in the deer though it hadn’t reach the critical stages yet.

I did see one dead turkey in one of the wintering grounds so far, though. I think it might have actually been killed by a bald eagle though based on what one witness told me. He said he saw one gobbler beating another gobbler to the point the feathers were flying but when he came down the road the one gobbler flew away. When he came back later there were even more feathers and the one gobbler was dead. From the scene, the spread of the wing tips in the snow and the way the gobbler was killed and fed upon it appeared that the one he saw flying away was probably a bald eagle that returned to finish what he started as soon as it was safe to do so.

Here is a picture if I can get it to post;

R.S. Bodenhorn
Old 02-10-2009, 06:16 PM
Banned

RSB, when you want to adda pic, simply go to the tool bar above your post as you're making it, left click the icon which is the farthest one to the right, it has a small pic of a mountain in it. When the prompt appears for you to add the address, before you add the picture url, delete the "http://" that is already auto-filled in the space. Then paste in your address.
Old 02-10-2009, 06:39 PM
Typical Buck

Thanks!

I’ll try to remember those instructions for the next time but I can’t guarantee I will figure it out. I am not that computer literate.

I'm even saving the instructions. If I can just findthem the next time I might be able to do it, we'll see.

Anyway, thank you for postingit for me!

R.S. Bodenhorn
Old 02-10-2009, 06:47 PM
Giant Nontypical

rsb, you can also post pics like that, but when you paste this:

change both "IMG" to image and the pic will be in the post...thats how i do it..
Old 02-11-2009, 10:56 AM
Typical Buck

Only thing I see in that picture is turkey tail for wingcases on nymphs and barred primaries for fletching.

Quick Reply: Winter is getting hard on em..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.