Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Backdoor attempt to legalize baiting in PA?

Old 02-08-2009, 05:40 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default Backdoor attempt to legalize baiting in PA?

Just found this on another site

http://www.legis.state.pa.us/cfdocs/legis/PN/Public/btCheck.cfm?txtType=HTM&sessYr=2009&sessIn d=0&billBody=H&billTyp=B&billNbr=261&a mp;pn=0281

Brought to you by the usual suspects....read the last line!

PRINTER'S NO. 281

THE GENERAL ASSEMBLY OF PENNSYLVANIA

HOUSE BILL

No.

Session of

INTRODUCED BY HALUSKA, BEYER, CALTAGIRONE, CONKLIN, FLECK,

GODSHALL, HANNA, HARHAI, KORTZ, MAHONEY, READSHAW AND WHITE,

FEBRUARY5,2009

REFERRED TO COMMITTEE ON GAME AND FISHERIES, FEBRUARY 5, 2009

AN ACT

Amending Title 34 (Game) of the Pennsylvania Consolidated

Statutes, further providing for unlawful devices and methods.

The General Assembly of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania

hereby enacts as follows:

Section 1. Section 2308(b) of Title 34 of the Pennsylvania

Consolidated Statutes is amended to read:

ยง 2308. Unlawful devices and methods.

(b) Exceptions.--The provisions of subsection (a) shall not

apply to:

(1) (i) Any archery sight or firearm's scope which

contains and uses any mechanical, photoelectric,

ultraviolet or solar-powered device to solely illuminate

the sight or crosshairs within the scope.

(ii) Except as otherwise provided under subparagraph

(iii), no archery sight or firearm's scope shall contain

or use any device, no matter how powered, to project or

transmit any light beam, infrared beam, ultraviolet light

beam, radio beam, thermal beam, ultrasonic beam, particle

beam or other beam outside the sight or scope onto the

target.

(iii) (A) A flashlight or spotlight may be mounted

on a firearm to take furbearers if the sole source of

power for the flashlight or spotlight is contained

within the flashlight or spotlight or on the person.

(B) For the purposes of this subparagraph, a

flashlight or spotlight mounted on a firearm shall

not include a device that projects a beam of laser

light to indicate the intended point of impact for

one or more projectiles discharged from the firearm.

(2) (i) Any political subdivision, its employees or

agents, which has a valid deer control permit issued

under section 2902(c) (relating to general categories of

permits).

(ii) Any licensed hunter in cities of the first

class, while hunting on private property and using a bow

and arrow or crossbow, using bait to attract deer for

removal as provided by commission regulations.

(iii) Any licensed hunter in special regulation

areas, other than counties of the second class, using

bait to attract deer for removal as provided by

commission regulations.

(3) Any artificial or manufactured turkey blind

consisting of all manmade materials of sufficient density to

block the detection of movement within the blind from an

observer located outside of the blind.

(4) Any natural or manmade nonliving bait used to

20090HB0261PN0281

- 2 -

attract coyotes for hunting or trapping.

(5) Any electronic or mechanical device used to attract

coyotes for hunting or trapping.

(6) Any decoy used in the trapping or hunting of

furbearers.

(7) Shelled or eared corn.

Section 2. This act shall take effect immediately.

20090HB0261PN0281

Old 02-08-2009, 05:57 AM

Default RE: Backdoor attempt to legalize baiting in PA?

I believe this is to pull deer off of posted property and places where hunting is not permitted. If they do this, PA hunters who don't own land should not even buy a license. Private land owners near SGL and SF will pull the deer to their areas. Kiss hunting goodbye but keep your guns for their main reason we have them.
Old 02-08-2009, 04:45 PM
Typical Buck

I see your concern. However a pile of corn or "bait"will not pull deer off SGL's any better than a clover food plot or corn field or soybean, etc. within the same vicinity. I hunt states that allow baiting and have hunted by that method. This has been "my" experience... bait does give deer a reason to be in areas where they otherwise would not be, however it is not like killing a cow at a feed trough. The one club I belong to has 17 members on 800 acres and there are 11 feeders on that property as well as food plots. Those deer can be patterned pre-season and you have a better chance of harvesting a deer within the first week than later in the season. Those deer do what all deer do, they go nocturnal and only go to those feeders after dark by the time the second week comes oras soon asthey detect human presence.Only twoof those mature 130" buck and above we are allowed to shoot were killed anywhere near a feeder. They prefer the clover/soybean and cornfields and do the majority of their feeding in these places only stopping at the feeders briefly and that is usually at dark. Maybe this is the PAGC'c answer to poor habitat. Let the hunters who want to spend the $ provide the food sources that some areas are lacking in. I feed as soon as I harvest the deer I am after and am finished hunting on my private land and continue to do so up until the 30 day prior season restriction. I also plant food plots that provide food during the time while I am hunting the area while baiting is illegal. Having used both methods I see no benefit of one over the other beside amount of work put into my plots. Both draw deer in and once hunters who do not take scent precautions and spook deer by other mistakes those deer go where they feel safe and where there is less pressure(private land). Baiting is just one variable you need to concern yourself with when it comes to deer leaving an area open to the public. Most private lands near SGL's already draw deer in due to less pressure and human activity, the added food reduces their need to travel far in order to survive.

My issue with baiting is this... It is far worse to raise the carrying capacity of an area and then shut it off instantly. The legalization of baiting will create situations like this by those who only care about feeding the deer long enough to shoot one. For landowners legalized baiting is a benefit in the sense that landowners or leasers will be able to increase and sustain the carrying capacity of their land. For the average hunter who hunts public land, baiting will not increase your chances any more than hunting in a stand of white oaks during the acorn drop.
Old 02-08-2009, 06:46 PM
Typical Buck

Baiting probably might not have a great impact on deer populations in some areas but it would in others. I have caught a lot of people killing deer over bait and I know darn well that it can be very affective in many types of deer hunting situations.

But, perhaps an even bigger problem would be that entire turkey populations could be killed off very quickly with bait. Bear kills would increase to the point I suspect they would have to restrict the number of bear hunters each year. Pheasants are another species that could be entirely eliminated from many areas through the use of baiting.

Want to see hunters fighting over a spot just allow someone to go out and bait an area and then try to keep other hunters from setting up on it?

Is that what hunting is turning into? Is that the direction we as hunters want it to go?

R.S. Bodenhorn
Old 02-08-2009, 06:54 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: 4evrhtn

I see your concern. However a pile of corn or "bait"will not pull deer off SGL's any better than a clover food plot or corn field or soybean, etc. within the same vicinity. I hunt states that allow baiting and have hunted by that method. This has been "my" experience... bait does give deer a reason to be in areas where they otherwise would not be, however it is not like killing a cow at a feed trough. The one club I belong to has 17 members on 800 acres and there are 11 feeders on that property as well as food plots. Those deer can be patterned pre-season and you have a better chance of harvesting a deer within the first week than later in the season. Those deer do what all deer do, they go nocturnal and only go to those feeders after dark by the time the second week comes oras soon asthey detect human presence.Only twoof those mature 130" buck and above we are allowed to shoot were killed anywhere near a feeder. They prefer the clover/soybean and cornfields and do the majority of their feeding in these places only stopping at the feeders briefly and that is usually at dark. Maybe this is the PAGC'c answer to poor habitat. Let the hunters who want to spend the $ provide the food sources that some areas are lacking in. I feed as soon as I harvest the deer I am after and am finished hunting on my private land and continue to do so up until the 30 day prior season restriction. I also plant food plots that provide food during the time while I am hunting the area while baiting is illegal. Having used both methods I see no benefit of one over the other beside amount of work put into my plots. Both draw deer in and once hunters who do not take scent precautions and spook deer by other mistakes those deer go where they feel safe and where there is less pressure(private land). Baiting is just one variable you need to concern yourself with when it comes to deer leaving an area open to the public. Most private lands near SGL's already draw deer in due to less pressure and human activity, the added food reduces their need to travel far in order to survive.

My issue with baiting is this... It is far worse to raise the carrying capacity of an area and then shut it off instantly. The legalization of baiting will create situations like this by those who only care about feeding the deer long enough to shoot one. For landowners legalized baiting is a benefit in the sense that landowners or leasers will be able to increase and sustain the carrying capacity of their land. For the average hunter who hunts public land, baiting will not increase your chances any more than hunting in a stand of white oaks during the acorn drop.
this is how hunters keep a bear in area.
they use things that bear like,then go in with crew and drive bear.

for years,we gave out corn at our club to feed deer.

some guys took it home and them took it out in turkey season and threw some around, this would draw in turkeys.

hunters did not need to bait bears this year,THEY SHOT THEM IN DENS BIGTIME THIS YEAR AS THEY FOLLOWED THE TRACKS IN SNOW TO DENS.

then they go to check station and make comments like this,IT WAS DANGEST THING, MY BEAR WAS[ BUILDING ]A DEN..

see how some get around laws.[:@]
Old 02-08-2009, 07:58 PM

The good part about this though. The does will be able to produce more fawns because they now have food to give healthy births to fawns. As long as they got food,There is no worry about all the deer that get shot around that feeder having an affect on the dead deer giving birth. Something like your dead deer starving Sproul. These are dead healthy deer that are dead and able to produce fawns next year. Your starving dead deer can't produce fawns cause they starved to death from lack of food. See the difference Sproul?
Old 02-08-2009, 08:03 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: explorer_Jack

The good part about this though. The does will be able to produce more fawns because they now have food to give healthy births to fawns. As long as they got food,There is no worry about all the deer that get shot around that feeder having an affect on the dead deer giving birth. Something like your dead deer starving Sproul. These are dead healthy deer that are dead and able to produce fawns next year. Your starving dead deer can't produce fawns cause they starved to death from lack of food. See the difference Sproul?
i am no fan of baitig in deer or turkeys.

i never saw too much deer being baited in my area over 47 years BUT I DID TURKEYS AND BEAR.

Old 02-08-2009, 08:20 PM

ORIGINAL: sproulman

ORIGINAL: explorer_Jack

i am no fan of baitig in deer or turkeys.

i never saw too much deer being baited in my area over 47 years BUT I DID TURKEYS AND BEAR.

PA. has way to many turkeys also. When do you think they will give out unlimited tags for them. They eat new seedlings as deer do. I guess after all the small game is gone the raptors and predators will need to continue to feed.
Old 02-09-2009, 03:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

I just dont know about baiting or feeding deer when it looked like the big storm was goona hit us i turned
up feeders alittle and i see the deer have the poops one little mistake makes it harder on the deer
if baiting is legal there will be corn/salt block/and everything else out for them in season.how much could that hurt their health just on the food side forget the easer to kill
Old 02-09-2009, 03:21 AM
Fork Horn

R.S.B. , unless you have a secret stash of pheasants somewhere or you're talking of the few chinese chickens,pheasants in this state have been extinct for a long time !

Quick Reply: Backdoor attempt to legalize baiting in PA?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.