Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Backdoor attempt to legalize baiting in PA?

Old 02-10-2009, 03:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Backdoor attempt to legalize baiting in PA?

lots of pheasants and grouse around my place there a guy that raises them and has pheasant hunts
come winter you dont see them but in spring when people pay him to release them you see them till winter again
they are dumb thou stand in roads waiting to get run over
Old 02-10-2009, 03:49 PM
Typical Buck

R.S.B.,
Arethere any efforts being put forth to restore a wild pheasant population in Schuylkill county? If there is, I am willing to offer my time to help by whatever means beneficial to the program.(You can send me a PM and I will give you my contact info.)I want to be objective and see these efforts first hand, more importantly this "promising" result such as in Elk county. I will say I have seen some pheasants (stocked) survive the season but come spring- no trace of a pheasant anywhere.

I agree with Sproul on the predators killing them off, at least in my area. This leads me to the following.

Can you explain to me why I am only allowed to trap coyote with a cable restraint from Jan 1 to Feb 22, yet I can hunt them 365 days a year? Do you feel this will ever be ammended? I understand their fur ismore valuedthis time of year but this season runs exactly during their breeding season when hunting opportunities are the greatest. Then when they are no longer searching to breed and are doing more searching for food I cannot set cable restraintswith food bait at a time whenwe would be most effective at controlling the population by trapping means.
Old 02-10-2009, 06:25 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: 4evrhtn

R.S.B.,
Arethere any efforts being put forth to restore a wild pheasant population in Schuylkill county? If there is, I am willing to offer my time to help by whatever means beneficial to the program.(You can send me a PM and I will give you my contact info.)I want to be objective and see these efforts first hand, more importantly this "promising" result such as in Elk county. I will say I have seen some pheasants (stocked) survive the season but come spring- no trace of a pheasant anywhere.

I agree with Sproul on the predators killing them off, at least in my area. This leads me to the following.

Can you explain to me why I am only allowed to trap coyote with a cable restraint from Jan 1 to Feb 22, yet I can hunt them 365 days a year? Do you feel this will ever be ammended? I understand their fur ismore valuedthis time of year but this season runs exactly during their breeding season when hunting opportunities are the greatest. Then when they are no longer searching to breed and are doing more searching for food I cannot set cable restraintswith food bait at a time whenwe would be most effective at controlling the population by trapping means.
ice is moving out of the susquehanna river here in clinton county,last night i was out in yard trying to get MR.FOX.

it was full moon, unreal how bright.

we had deerfeeder accross river,you should of heard the coyotes howling or i call it laughing.

very eery sound
Old 02-10-2009, 06:32 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: 4evrhtn

R.S.B.,

The three areas presently getting wild pheasants from the Midwest are centered around Montour, Somerset and Washington Counties where the pheasants Forever Chapters have had the most success with establishing large tracts of contiguous grasslands habitats capable of supporting pheasants. If you are seriously interested send me a PM and I will get you some contact information for the Montour Chapter.

The results look promising though it is still too early to cal it a success. If wild populations can be established and nature production results in increasing populations those areas might one day provide the opportunity for instate trap and transfer as occurred with turkeys.

I can’t give you an answer to the reason you can’t use cable restraints before January other then the desire to prevent the capture of no target species earlier in the year when hunting dogs are a field. Most years trappers can still affectively use foothold traps up to about January when things start freezing up. The intent of the cable restraint was to provide a tool that trappers could affectively use toward more effectively controlling fox and coyote populations after normal winter freeze up and snow conditions set in.

You might well see the period for cable restraints extended at some point in the future. Bring it before the Trappers Association and the Board of Commissioners to see how they feel about it.

R.S. Bodenhorn
Old 02-10-2009, 07:04 PM
Giant Nontypical

i can say, those traps do work.

i got caught in 1 myself, dont laugh.

i fell in snow and was lucky to hold onto my camcorder.

also my dog was in 4 traps this year and only 1 had the owners name on it.

Old 02-12-2009, 02:16 PM
Typical Buck

I've never understood the argument about baiting ,,,especially in states where the deer need controlled,,,here in Va this year i can kill does until march 28th,,,,(too many deer) but if i put out a bucket of corn to kill em im a criminal,,then on the other hand,,,if i plant an acre of corn etc... on my property,,,,thats ok,,shoot everyone that enters the field,,,,makes no sense what-so-ever and any one that disputes that needs medication!
Old 02-13-2009, 08:18 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: rem700man

I've never understood the argument about baiting ,,,especially in states where the deer need controlled,,,here in Va this year i can kill does until march 28th,,,,(too many deer) but if i put out a bucket of corn to kill em im a criminal,,then on the other hand,,,if i plant an acre of corn etc... on my property,,,,thats ok,,shoot everyone that enters the field,,,,makes no sense what-so-ever and any one that disputes that needs medication!
We are talking PA here.
Until last week the snow was overmy knees.
If you have a clue how to hunt deer,you surly don't need bait to be successful.
That one acre of corn will still be there long after your bucket of corn is gone.And will benefit turkeys,squirrels and untold other wildlife.
Bait is what you use when fishing.Unless your a master.

Old 02-13-2009, 09:19 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: BTBowhunter

Just found this on another site

http://www.legis.state.pa.us/cfdocs/legis/PN/Public/btCheck.cfm?txtType=HTM&sessYr=2009&sessIn d=0&billBody=H&billTyp=B&billNbr=261&a mp;pn=0281

Brought to you by the usual suspects....read the last line!
Well how about that, could that be pressure from the DCNR????

10. Use of Bait to Entice Deer: This option is currently legal and practiced in many states, and has been suggested numerous times when the discussion of new tools comes up. The Bureau of Forestry, based on the possibility of disease transmission, is not willing to pursue this option at this time.

PRINTER'S NO. 281

THE GENERAL ASSEMBLY OF PENNSYLVANIA

HOUSE BILL

No.

Session of

INTRODUCED BY HALUSKA, BEYER, CALTAGIRONE, CONKLIN, FLECK,

GODSHALL, HANNA, HARHAI, KORTZ, MAHONEY, READSHAW AND WHITE,

FEBRUARY5,2009

REFERRED TO COMMITTEE ON GAME AND FISHERIES, FEBRUARY 5, 2009

AN ACT

Amending Title 34 (Game) of the Pennsylvania Consolidated

Statutes, further providing for unlawful devices and methods.

The General Assembly of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania

hereby enacts as follows:

Section 1. Section 2308(b) of Title 34 of the Pennsylvania

Consolidated Statutes is amended to read:

§ 2308. Unlawful devices and methods.

(b) Exceptions.--The provisions of subsection (a) shall not

apply to:

(1) (i) Any archery sight or firearm's scope which

contains and uses any mechanical, photoelectric,

ultraviolet or solar-powered device to solely illuminate

the sight or crosshairs within the scope.

(ii) Except as otherwise provided under subparagraph

(iii), no archery sight or firearm's scope shall contain

or use any device, no matter how powered, to project or

transmit any light beam, infrared beam, ultraviolet light

beam, radio beam, thermal beam, ultrasonic beam, particle

beam or other beam outside the sight or scope onto the

target.

(iii) (A) A flashlight or spotlight may be mounted

on a firearm to take furbearers if the sole source of

power for the flashlight or spotlight is contained

within the flashlight or spotlight or on the person.

(B) For the purposes of this subparagraph, a

flashlight or spotlight mounted on a firearm shall

not include a device that projects a beam of laser

light to indicate the intended point of impact for

one or more projectiles discharged from the firearm.

(2) (i) Any political subdivision, its employees or

agents, which has a valid deer control permit issued

under section 2902(c) (relating to general categories of

permits).

(ii) Any licensed hunter in cities of the first

class, while hunting on private property and using a bow

and arrow or crossbow, using bait to attract deer for

removal as provided by commission regulations.

(iii) Any licensed hunter in special regulation

areas, other than counties of the second class, using

bait to attract deer for removal as provided by

commission regulations.

(3) Any artificial or manufactured turkey blind

consisting of all manmade materials of sufficient density to

block the detection of movement within the blind from an

observer located outside of the blind.

(4) Any natural or manmade nonliving bait used to

20090HB0261PN0281

- 2 -

attract coyotes for hunting or trapping.

(5) Any electronic or mechanical device used to attract

coyotes for hunting or trapping.

(6) Any decoy used in the trapping or hunting of

furbearers.

(7) Shelled or eared corn.

Section 2. This act shall take effect immediately.

20090HB0261PN0281