Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Pennsylvania hunters about to be "HOSED"

Old 02-05-2009, 08:01 PM

Default RE: Pennsylvania hunters about to be "HOSED"

ORIGINAL: R.S.B.

The fact is there is nothing to indicate that Pennsylvania is anything but one of the best darn deer hunting states in the nation both today and in the past. I am very confident that it will remain a leader in deer populations and deer harvests long into the future too as long as the professionals can keep deer management on this sound scientific management course.

R.S. Bodenhorn

If you did more research instead of just all your snotting around you might have known that Pennsylvania has still been leading the nation in the number of deer harvested per square of land mass.

Here are the five averages for the past five years (2002-2006) I could find for all of the states.

Ranking……State…………….…………deer harvest/square mile
1.…………Penna…………………………⠀¦9.41
2.…………Maryland………………………. .9.25
3.…………Wisconsin……………………… .8.64
4.…………New Jersey………………………8.29
5.…………Michigan………………………. .8.03
6.…………W.Virginia……………………†¦7.60
7.…………Delaware………………………. .6.63
8.…………Virginia………………………⠀¦5.62
9.…………Ohio…………………………†¦.5.21
10.………..New York………………………4.82

Your nonsense about Pennsylvania not being worth hunting for deer just doesn’t hold water after all. Have you ever heard what they say about those that laugh last?

R.S. Bodenhorn

I beg to differ that with this suggestion. Look up license sales for each state.

Pennsylvania. 2007 924,448 just in reg license that a buck can be taken with. Another 840,670 for doe tags sold.
Combined total of a ridiculous number of 1,765,118 deer tags sold for the state of PA. Over 1.75 million in deer license sold and for the deer harvested PSM. per so many hunters. PA. sucks for hunting.

44,820 square miles of Pennsylvania are land areas.

Ohio.457,685 total deer license sold.

http://www.news-herald.com/articles/2009/01/20/sports/nh341589.txt

You do the rest of the states and you will see your statement is so full of crap from license sale to deer harvested.

Allmost 4 times the amount of deer license sold in PA compared to ohio.

40,948.38 square miles ofOhio are land areas.

With only a 3,872 mile variation between the 2 states.

Click on state and check harvest numbers out.
http://www.gameandfishmag.com/state-by-state-hunting-fishing/index.html

LMFAO
Old 02-05-2009, 08:09 PM
Giant Nontypical

Need a map to Ohio?

www.mapquest.com
Old 02-05-2009, 08:14 PM

ORIGINAL: BTBowhunter

Need a map to Ohio?

www.mapquest.com
Nope,I will be hunting it next year. But thanks any way. Some others might need it though when they see that ohio is a better deer hunting state than PA.
Old 02-05-2009, 08:31 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: BTBowhunter

1. Broadcasting fetilizers around mast bearing trees and preffered browse.
If it's not legal it oughtta be. I know a buddy that swears you can give an old apple tree a whole new life with a sack of lime and a sack of 10-10-10 spread around the drip line.

2. Creating a isolated water hole in a prime location. I'm not sure the legalities of either of these two, but I wonder if you do not dig, but rather find a shallow depression, and line the bottom with plastic and cover it with dirt to create a lasting reservoir for run off, if it would be legal?
The digging is probably not allowed and I'd think you'd be hard pressed t find a spot that need water enough that you could create something that would alter a deers patterns. It'd also be a potential mosquito haven and maybe a haven for those nasty EHD carrying midges

3. Creating a scrape corridor, by tying down limbs in strategic places, and then treating the limb and soil beneath. Studies have shown the licking branch at preffered height is the most important factor.
I like it. I think the legality would be whether you actually damage live trees.

4. Planting apple or persimmon trees in remote locations. Pretty sure this would be illegal on public lands.
I think this can be done with the appropriate owner/ manager permission. I believe I've heard of groups like scouts etc making service projects out of stuff like this.

As far as the outfitters secret...... None of the above!
The lime and the 10-10-10 around the drip line is the same tip I heard. They say it will draw the deer in from pretty far to the acorns, apples, etc. They have the innate ability to always find the highest qualiity food available. Another one I heard is brodcasting seeds such as winter wheat along old log trails and in clearings, but I'm sure the birds would pick over most of it before it could take. I'm surprised how many guys use lucky buck, acorn rage, etc in my area. I always thought that stuff was illegal as well.
Old 02-06-2009, 12:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

a few xtra bucks will break o few guys yet they can travel a few hrs away for hunting in other state
hope their truck runs free
Old 02-06-2009, 04:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Rich,the areas youre talking about have some of the worst habitat around.No food,no deer.The areas around Parker dama and Knob's roadare some of the worst.I'm not sure where your camp is located but it's only 23 miles from the Clearfield to the Dubois exit.You can get off even closer at the Penfield exit and be to these places in 15 minutes.Honestly,if you're hunting Parker dam,you're within a 10-15 minute drive of these areas.There are some areas around PD that have definate signs of habitat improvement.I'd be glad to show you those areas as well because that's where the deer are.
Old 02-06-2009, 05:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

hopefully we can finally hook up in spring.Not all the areas have bad habitat doug.Some simply have easy acess and get hammered.
Old 02-06-2009, 06:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

All of the areas where I hunt around here have very easy access,yet very few places recieve much pressure.SGL 93 is an exception.It gets hunted hard but it's easy to get away from the crowds and find plenty of deer.I've been all over MSF(around PD and SB Elliot)with a district forester and I've yet to see a large area with good habitat.Some is starting to recover but no large areas could be considered even close to good.

I hunted parts of Moshannon state forest this year.I saw multiple deer in each place.Each place had extremely easyaccess and I saw a total of 4 guys the entire season,including the first day.

Parker dam is a wasteland of pole timber,with very little value to wildlife and a very low carrying capacity.You're correct that there's few deer and that's the way it should be.
Old 02-06-2009, 07:21 AM
Banned

There was absolutely nothing at all deceptive about the data I presented. The harvest data for the various states all came from this web site.

http://www.buckmasters.com/bm/Resources/DeerHarvestSnapshot/tabid/184/Default.aspx

Which is the most current data I an find for the various states. If you can find anything more current please provide a link and I will use the more current data. All I did was add the years together and then divide that by the total land mass of the county so the various states can be compared fairly with harvests per square mile.

Exactly. And as pointed out more than once, you used years of MUCH higher herd levels. And you know it shows completely deceptive inaccurate results to do so if the goal was to show what the hunting is like NOW.

If you have a more far way of doing it the go ahead and post your results. The fact is there is nothing to indicate that Pennsylvania is anything but one of the best darn deer hunting states in the nation both today and in the past. I am very confident that it will remain a leader in deer populations and deer harvests long into the future too as long as the professionals can keep deer management on this sound scientific management course.
One of the most rediculous statements youve ever made, and that is saying alot! (LOL)

When I get time I will post the harvest data by state and by year though just so everyone can see how Pennsylvania ranks on an annual comparison. Perhaps tomorrow night if all goes well.
Why try to decieve more? Your sham bs has already been pointed out. And as pointed out, the herd is continually being reduced and quality also sucks. There is nothing you can say to change anything thats already been shown.
Old 02-06-2009, 08:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

There was absolutely nothing at all deceptive about the data I presented. The harvest data for the various states all came from this web site.
The data on the link was presented as the actual harvest from 2002 to 2006. You converted the data to deer harvested PSM using the five year average which was intentionally misleading and deceiving.

Quick Reply: Pennsylvania hunters about to be "HOSED"

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.