Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Pennsylvania hunters about to be "HOSED"

Old 02-03-2009, 01:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Pennsylvania hunters about to be "HOSED"

[/quote]

Suitable places to hunt rabbit and pheasants are scarce and have been for a long time. .

Your question about paying to hunt gamelands makes no sense. I'm sure you are driving at a point with that but I missed it. Please enlighten me
[/quote]

My point is.....hunters do not want to pay even more money to hunt PA when they aren't seeing deer.

Your statement above about smallgame could be used for my next scenerio.

Would you be willing to buy a rabbit and pheasant small game license to huntthem, if the PGC would implement that idea. Even if you had your health, you would probably pass, because those small game species aren't very abundant.

I could brag to you how I know of a few great rabbit places, I even went out last Saturday and got some.

Just because I found a few rabbits, doesn't mean PA doesn't have a problem with not having many for hunters to hunt.

Of those bucks you have on your wall, how many were taken before HR?

Be honest.

I'd bet you were taking big bucks way before AR or HR.

There are guys like you that have a few Honey Holes and seem to think that things are fine across the state because you have a good place to hunt.

I have a few great places to hunt rabbit, so does that mean rabbit hunting is just fine in your area?

Would it be right for me to call you lazy or a lousy hunter because you can't find rabbits?

I can find them, so what's your problem?

Get my point?

Old 02-03-2009, 03:33 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Windwalker7

My point is.....hunters do not want to pay even more money to hunt PA when they aren't seeing deer.
I understand that some, even most hunters are seeing less deer especially in the traditional deer regionsbut if they're seeing no deer then there is simply a problem with the hunter not adapting to changes. Deer hunting has changed in many areas. Lets be fair though...Some of that change is probably a direct reult of HR but some of it is because HR should have happened years ago

Your statement above about smallgame could be used for my next scenerio.

Would you be willing to buy a rabbit and pheasant small game license to huntthem, if the PGC would implement that idea. Even if you had your health, you would probably pass, because those small game species aren't very abundant.

I could brag to you how I know of a few great rabbit places, I even went out last Saturday and got some.

Just because I found a few rabbits, doesn't mean PA doesn't have a problem with not having many for hunters to hunt.
No arguement there. The PGC has basically failed in the upland game department. That is very old news. Thats been a problem that goes back to the 70's. No it's not all their fault. yes small game habiat has suffered from "clean farming" but they have failed to identify why populations are also down in many places with ideal habitat. Instead we throw what money there is into a put and take deal that benefits relatively few.

Of those bucks you have on your wall, how many were taken before HR?

Be honest.
Fair question....

Two of my PA wall hangers were taken before HR

I'd bet you were taking big bucks way before AR or HR.
Absolutely true

There are guys like you that have a few Honey Holes and seem to think that things are fine across the state because you have a good place to hunt.
You are partly correct, I do have my honey holes. Of course I do. I'll also tell you that I wasn't born into them. It took years of effort to learn how to identify them, get access and takes serious ongoing effort to keep them. BTW, I don't "own" any of them! Where you're wrong is when you assume that my honey holes are influencing my views of the success of the current deer management. What I'd bet you didntknow is that I also hunt many other spots that are public land and private land that is open to the public and it is in those spots where Ihave seenthe most notable improvements. My old honey holes are really no better or worse since HR/AR because they were being managed correctly before AR and HR.

I have a few great places to hunt rabbit, so does that mean rabbit hunting is just fine in your area?

Would it be right for me to call you lazy or a lousy hunter because you can't find rabbits?

I can find them, so what's your problem?

Get my point?
Yes I do get your point. But I'll also say that if I had a desire to find rabbits, I would find them. If rabbit hunting were important to me, I would adapt to the dismal conditions and seek them out. I wouldn't keep going back to the same spots and complaining thatthere used to be rabbits here. I'd simply go out and find em without needing toblame someone.

Actually, I do know of some good rabbit spots because i have friends that are avid beagle guys. If I talked they'd probably shoot me

My pointwould be that it's a hunting license not a killing license and we still have some of the best deer hunting in this country. Is it easy everywhere? Nope. Is it the PGC's fault? Not near as much now as it once was. The only real failure of the PGC with deer is them not growng a spine early enough to head off this situation we have now. Had the PGC managed the numbers based on better science years ago, we would probably be better off especially in the traditional deer woods.

[/quote]
Old 02-03-2009, 03:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

The only real failure of the PGC with deer is them not growng a spine early enough to head off this situation we have now. Had the PGC managed the numbers based on better science years ago, we would probably be better off especially in the traditional deer woods.
That is pure nonsense. i posted the data that shows 2G was at it's deer density goal in 1999. the statewide herd was close to the deer density goal in the early 80's and the increase in the herd since then was due to the increase in the southern tier counties ,rather than in the NC counties. you simply have no idea what you are talking about.
Old 02-03-2009, 03:42 PM
Banned

BTB says:
"we still have some of the best deer hunting in this country"

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!

First off, we never did, nor even close.Second its gotten worse, and continuing the slide.

Old 02-03-2009, 03:50 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Cornelius08

"My pointwould be that it's a hunting license not a killing license and we still have some of the best deer hunting in this country."

Simply untrue, and a rediculous exaggeration. Not even close. Nationally speaking, we are a complete joke quality wise, and the best areas of the state wmu-wide have about average quantity, with majroity of the state WELL below what could ever be deemed "good" numbers. I see no reasonable rational argument that can support that statement. REmember we are talking about bubbas honey hole or billy-bobs 1500 acre highly managed lease, we are talking OUR STATE and IN THIS COUNTRY. That makes your statement an "unfunny" joke.

"Is it the PGC's fault? "

Yes.
BTB says:
"we still have some of the best deer hunting in this country"

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!

First off, we never did, nor even close.Second its gotten worse, and continuing the slide.

< Message edited by Cornelius08 -- 2/3/2009 5:50:46 PM >
Yelling in red just makes you look more stupid and desperate

If we are such a nationwide joke, perhaps you can explain why Pa has repeatedly been held up as a positive example in virtually ever sporting publication across the USA. Better yet, show me one non USP publication where our deer program is being called a joke. If you can find one, which I doubt, during your search, you'll have to wade through dozens where PA is being applauded.
Old 02-03-2009, 04:06 PM
Banned

Ok btb, your right, we're tops! (LOL) (LOL)(LOL)

Why dont writers pick on Pa? Same reason they dont pick on other bottom barrel states.

On the other hand, ask anyone from DECENT deer states or worse yet, GOOD ones and see how many would bewilling to trade the hunting in THEIR state for Pa's (LOL)(LOL)They'll laugh in your face.

I also didnt say anything about our rediculous joke deer program. You said our state was among the best hunting in the nation. Im simply stating that is complete lunacy and you better go get checked. That tick bite is effecting your judgement.

But since YOU brought it up, yes the joke deer plan is responsible forworsening the situation!
Old 02-03-2009, 04:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

If you want to know what hunters think about the current deer management plan just look at the decreasing non-resident license sales.
Old 02-03-2009, 04:16 PM
Banned

Or the fact pgc employees have needed to wear bullet proof vests (LOL)
Are being sued.
And have had legislators step in.
Old 02-03-2009, 04:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

My opinion on the subject,I blame the feds for the low rabbit numbers.There's way too many hawks and it's time to lift protection to a point.I've also noticed a decline in rabbit numbers as the coyote population increased.{my area in clearfield}
I would like to see more done for grouse habitat.
We have a pretty good bear population right now
pretty good for turkeys too in most places.
There's some great deer hunting in PA but a very high percentage of that is on controlled private land.I'd like to see more done for land open to hunting and the problems of overharvesting.

Old 02-03-2009, 04:22 PM
Fork Horn

Poor Tinkerbell (BTB), he should have checked to make sure Doug and RSB were signed on to defend him.

Quick Reply: Pennsylvania hunters about to be "HOSED"

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.