Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Did some walking this morning

Old 02-01-2009, 10:40 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default Did some walking this morning

Well, I went for a walk this morning down an old road that runs the top of the mountain behind my house. It was a nice morning, no wind, sunny (finally). Walked for about an hour one way so I estimate I covered about 3 miles.
I saw lots of turkey tracks, 3 coyote tracks, 1 bobcat track, 2 racoon tracks, 1 crow track and zero deer tracks.
Very disappointing.
Old 02-01-2009, 10:57 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Did some walking this morning

ORIGINAL: bronko22000

Well, I went for a walk this morning down an old road that runs the top of the mountain behind my house. It was a nice morning, no wind, sunny (finally). Walked for about an hour one way so I estimate I covered about 3 miles.
I saw lots of turkey tracks, 3 coyote tracks, 1 bobcat track, 2 racoon tracks, 1 crow track and zero deer tracks.
Very disappointing.

How much snow is in the area and was it on a ridge top, plateau or bottom land along a stream bed with pines and hemlock?

I couldn’t find even one deer track on the ridges or plateau yesterday, but there was a lot of deer sign in the wintering grounds again though.

R.S. Bodenhorn
Old 02-01-2009, 12:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

I went in woods today and its on top of mountain and i saw some deer paths and a deer here or there
that strayed off a path
Old 02-03-2009, 01:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

I took down some stands on Saturday and saw a ton of deer tracks, saw multiple doe and saw two buck that still had their racks (one was pretty busted up). Looks like we should have taken a few more doe last season. I left two tags unfilled because the numbers seemed to be down a bit this year.
Old 02-04-2009, 08:47 PM
Typical Buck

This is my favorite time of year for scouting. My buddie and I do this every year right after the last day of extended archery/muzzle loader. Found a couple new area's that look promising for next archery season.
Old 02-09-2009, 06:17 PM
Giant Nontypical

Yanked another stand this afternoon. Havent hunted this spot since November but hunted an adjoining property in late season and did OK there. Busted two deer from under it and couldn't take a step for about a 40 yard by 60-80 yard wide area without stepping in a bed or some deer poop. Funny thing is that this has not been a heavily used bedding area for a long time tilllate season this year. It's a fairly develpoed area and I'm guessing that something disturbed a heavy bedding area nearby.
Old 02-09-2009, 06:51 PM
Typical Buck

Deer are funny. They sometimes have a bad habit of being where they want to be and not where we think they should be. As a rule, they're generally where you find them.

Late in the first week of firearms season this year, picked my cousin up at the end of a trudge he'd taken. He doesn't say much, but did grumble a bit about having walked the entireridge across from my camp and up to theNY line,not kicking out many deer.

It had warmed up some that afternoon and most of the snow was off where the sun hit it. We came over a hill about a half mile from camp, saw several doe come out of a thick patch of saplings, said look, there's about 6 or 7. Down the road a bit farther, counted 10 or 12 more coming out of the pines.Spotted a few more out feeding,across from my place.Saw 25 deer in less than 15 minutes, all less than a half mile from camp.

Said there's your deer, bub. He said take mehome and drop me off.