Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

This "Audit"

Old 02-01-2009, 08:02 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default This "Audit"

As a businessman I understand an audit ,as to do with taxes,money and where it all goes.
My question is how do you audit deer?
What wisdom is this audit supposed to lime light for us?
Whatquestions are we asking?

I will admit I'm lost at this whole audit reasoning or process. Will some one please enlighten me?[:-]
Old 02-01-2009, 08:22 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: This "Audit"

And I thought you guys knew every thing.
Old 02-01-2009, 08:26 AM
Giant Nontypical

I'm not an expert on what all it was to include but I think it's supposed to focus at least in part on the game management methodology including but not necessarily limited to deer population estimates, deer density strategies etc etc . I know that the few things I've read indicate that it WILL include an independent examination of the deer management program. Not really sure about what all else but I'd think that they'd audit all operations and not just deer stuff.
Old 02-01-2009, 08:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

Some of the key elements of the audit prove that our legislators are listening even if our PGC Commissioners are not. A twelve-year look-back at our deer populations and deer harvests are incorporated. This is critical because our deer population took a mysterious leap to 1.6 million when Dr. Gary Alt became involved. If done objectively many will be in shock at how few deer are left in this state. Converting the PGC’s “qualitative” deer management into hard, believable, quantitative numbers is a major objective of this audit. We must manage by numbers, just as every state in the nation manages their deer herd.

Forest regeneration problems and the effects of acid rain are weaved into this resolution. This is also a major victory because after killing millions of deer, forest regeneration did not occur as promised. The understory did not explode to provide food for those monster bucks. DCNR and the PGC are beginning to quietly lime their timber cuts. Dr. William Sharpe of Penn State advised Dr Alt eight years ago that deer reduction would not cure our regeneration problems.

Analysis of our deer modeling techniques, a review of our reproduction data as an indicator of herd health and the questionable size of our WMU’s are all in this document. Our legislators on the House Game and Fisheries Committee and the Legislative Budget and Finance Committee members have done an outstanding job. Granted, we must find qualified, objective people from across the nation to execute the audit, but the framework is excellent.
Old 02-01-2009, 08:41 AM
Typical Buck

The "parameters" were posted someplace, when the legislature put it out for bid.

IIRC, it's supposed to focus on how the PGC manages deer, nothing else. Figuring that would include an objectiveanalysis ofproceduresthat they use toarrive atantlerless allocations, herd estimates, kill estimates, habitat assessments, herd health,etc?

Since PA uses many of the same proceduresthat other stateswith large deer populationsuse, don't see much in the way of exciting news being offered, once it's done.
Old 02-01-2009, 08:51 AM

They need to have some night flights with thermal cameras to get a good idea of what the deer numbers are like. You would be able to tell deer from other animals with that technology.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jM9z4DOgnuI
Old 02-01-2009, 08:53 AM
Giant Nontypical

So we're going to pay some one else to take guess at how many deer we started with,and make a better guess at what we have left as far as deer numbers and locations .

Its much clearer to me know. This time its going to be an unbiased guess.

Who'd a thunk that there wouldn't be a line of companies wanting their piece of this pie.
Old 02-01-2009, 08:58 AM

No you all could do it like they do in the video. You have to see this. Start counting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uwCCl4b12w8
Old 02-01-2009, 12:02 PM
Banned

I believe early on in a press release one of the reps spoke of also having the auditor suggest things that might improve hunter satisfaction. Possible alternatives that would still be sound scientifically. Dont know how in depth they are to go with it or how significant the changes were to be if possible, but havent heard much about the exact audit particulars for some time now. Just alot of educated guessing by alot of us.
Old 02-01-2009, 01:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

maybe they want to see if the deer payed there taxes bawanajim