Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

PA- Just cant figure this one out?

Old 01-30-2009, 08:52 PM
Fork Horn

Default PA- Just cant figure this one out?

The game commission and fish commission both receive the majority of therefinances from license sales. RIGHT... THat is what they are suppose to survive on. THE QUESTION IS>> Why do i spend 30 dollars max on fishing compared to at least 80 dollars to hunting?? I could see paying the 80 dollars for fishing and 30 for hunting. Game commission sells timber and oil(wells,royalties,etc). THey produce what.....Pheasant.. THe fish commission stocksthousands of trout a year.THey dont get oil and timber money-I think.The fish commission probably even has more employees. What am i missing? Is the fish commission just better with money??Where does all the PGC money go to....? TO do studys. I have had a bunch of buddies work for the PGC as seasonal. THey told me about some of their study...WOW some of them were such awaste of money
Old 01-31-2009, 02:09 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: PA- Just cant figure this one out?

Mike:
Just asking,,,do you feel like you pay too much to hunt and if so,,,what do you feel is a reasonable fee for the opportunity to hunt,,,im not criticizing just trying to get a feel for how the average hunter feels.

Thanks
Old 01-31-2009, 02:43 AM

Georgia is 60$ a year for hunting and fishing combo license and your allowed up to 12 deer a year and hunt all game animals there as fish also.
Sportsman license it's called. All tags included for all weapons also.
http://georgiawildlife.dnr.state.ga.us/content/displaycontent.asp?txtDocument=31

http://www.georgiawildlife.com/Assets/Documents/Hunting_Regulations/08-09_Hunting_Regs.pdf

Now ask yourself if we are paying to much for 1 deer and small game hunting license at 20$ compared to Georgia? Hell yea we are and for what?
Old 01-31-2009, 07:14 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: mikepsu54

The game commission and fish commission both receive the majority of therefinances from license sales. RIGHT... THat is what they are suppose to survive on. THE QUESTION IS>> Why do i spend 30 dollars max on fishing compared to at least 80 dollars to hunting?? I could see paying the 80 dollars for fishing and 30 for hunting. Game commission sells timber and oil(wells,royalties,etc). THey produce what.....Pheasant.. THe fish commission stocksthousands of trout a year.THey dont get oil and timber money-I think.The fish commission probably even has more employees. What am i missing? Is the fish commission just better with money??Where does all the PGC money go to....? TO do studys. I have had a bunch of buddies work for the PGC as seasonal. THey told me about some of their study...WOW some of them were such awaste of money
http://www.pgc.state.pa.us/pgc/cwp/browse.asp?a=491&bc=0&c=69956&pgcNav=|

Thats a link to the Agenceys reports including fiscal.
Most of the studys that are ongoing are paid for from grants.

Here is the last income and expenditures

http://www.pgc.state.pa.us/pgc/cwp/view.asp?A=523&Q=173309

http://www.pgc.state.pa.us/pgc/cwp/view.asp?A=523&Q=173316
Old 01-31-2009, 08:40 AM
Giant Nontypical

I'm pretty sure that the water world doesn't have any thing as valuable to study as wood rats,so the Fish Commissioncan justify a lower license cost.

The wood rat study report could provide us with some in depth reading material, Some random title ideas?

"Wood Rats not just for Breakfast anymore"

"Wood Rats for dummies"

"Wood Rats for both Fun and Profit"

"Where to have all the Rats Gone"

"Wood Rats the other Red Meat"

I can hear theBud Light Real Men of Genius commercial Playing now.

Heresto you Mister wood rat study coordinator,through the wild woods you travel ,searching far and wide for the ever elusivefairly dangerous far ranging and highly nonvenomous Pennsylvania wood rat............
Old 01-31-2009, 09:18 AM
Banned

You are right, it does seem like a big differential between income and service performed. When you consider all the various tags, the timber other resources etc. etc. And also consider the fact the fish commission ALSO does studies, electro-surveys, has threatened and endangered species to take into account ALSO, like paddlefish, various other fish reptile and amphibians.
Old 01-31-2009, 09:31 AM
Giant Nontypical

The financials are right there Cornelius.RWJ posted the links. Why dont you show us where the fat is?

BWJ, I would tend to agree to some extent on stuff like the wood rat if we were paying for it but we're not, those studies are almost always funded by outside grant money and not by hunter dollars anyway. Same for the fisher reintroduction etc etc

Not that I object to some of our money going to nongame species either. I don't. But most of those things are funded by outside sources anyway. Even the elk habitat projects got a big helping hand from the RMEF
Old 01-31-2009, 09:41 AM
Banned

Obviously you havent been following the general fund surplus. Have a gander at it, even currently, and get back to me on it.

I also have no problem with funding for nongame.
Old 01-31-2009, 09:42 AM
Banned

Obviously you havent been following the general fund surplus. Have a gander at it, even currently, and get back to me on it.

I also have no problem with funding for nongame.
Old 01-31-2009, 09:51 AM
Giant Nontypical

My point is that while we whine about man power shortages we study the life and times of a valuable species such as wood rats when here in Crawford county your more likely to run across a breading pair of pterodactyls than flushing a grouse,which by the waywas the state bird.

Quick Reply: PA- Just cant figure this one out?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.