Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Predators and deer

Old 01-20-2009, 05:31 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Predators and deer

ORIGINAL: bluebird2

The PGC goal for clinton Co. was 16 DPFSM , but the true carrying capacity of the habitat was higher than that figure.
maybe what i read is they est that it was at 9 dpsm 2 years ago.

well, its down like 3 dpsm ,at least where i hunt and know area.lot of areas are shot out.
Old 01-20-2009, 05:34 PM
Giant Nontypical

Thanks for admitting you were,WRONG AGAIN!
Old 01-20-2009, 05:34 PM
Giant Nontypical

You truly are amazingly ignorant. even after the dramatic herd reduction in 2g ,it still took a harvest of 11,700 deer by hunters just to keep the herd stable. Even the village idiot would recognize that the harvest by hunters is controlling the herd, that is ,except for BTB and RSB.
Sorry Bluejob, but you live on the opposite corner of the state and you cant find more than 3 deer in a whole season in a WMU that is chock full of deer. You hardly seem qualified to judge whether hunters are harvesting adequate numbers in the Quehanna. I'd be willing bet you've never even seen the Quehanna let alone hunted in it.
Old 01-20-2009, 05:38 PM
Giant Nontypical

i used to drive thru quehanna a lot, like 15 times a month.

i used to see a ton of deer until all tags were issued.

now, you dont see many.

Old 01-20-2009, 05:42 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: sproulman

i used to drive thru quehanna a lot, like 15 times a month.

i used to see a ton of deer until all tags were issued.

now, you dont see many.

The doe mortality study was done during the years of the highest tag allocations since AR and only 8% and 15% of the does died in each of the two years by hunting in that two year study in Quehanna. Clearly, something else was at work there too.
Old 01-20-2009, 05:45 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: sproulman

Thanks for admitting you were,WRONG AGAIN!
I didnt admit anything Sproul. I was right, I just refused to keep the juvenile back and forth going all night. Did you really want three or four more pages of back and forth?
Old 01-20-2009, 06:59 PM
Typical Buck

You truly are amazingly ignorant. even after the dramatic herd reduction in 2g ,it still took a harvest of 11,700 deer by hunters just to keep the herd stable. Even the village idiot would recognize that the harvest by hunters is controlling the herd, that is ,except for BTB and RSB.

Oh wow you will really prove your point with that information! NOT!!
That was a deer harvest of a whole 2.84 deer per square mile being harvested with a whole 1.24 of those being antler less deer harvested per square mile.

That is the lowest harvest per square mile in the state with the second lowest was nearly twice as high at 5.03 deer harvested per square mile. Perhaps we should compare that to the unit that is made up largely of the city and streets of Pittsburgh where hunters harvested 14.46 deer per square mile and 11.23 per square mile of those were antler less deer, nearly ten times as many antler less as were harvested in unit 2G.

Explain to everyone how hunters can continuously harvest over 14 deer per square mile, year after year, around the city streets of Pittsburgh but the big woods unit of 2G can’t sustain harvests of more then 3 deer per square mile.

According to Bluebird it couldn’t be habitat related though so it must be that the deer in Pittsburgh have well over four fawns for every one the 2G does have and all of those Pittsburgh fawns must survive after being born too.

R.S. Bodenhorn
Old 01-20-2009, 07:38 PM

ORIGINAL: R.S.B.

Oh wow you will really prove your point with that information! NOT!!
That was a deer harvest of a whole 2.84 deer per square mile being harvested with a whole 1.24 of those being antler less deer harvested per square mile.

That is the lowest harvest per square mile in the state with the second lowest was nearly twice as high at 5.03 deer harvested per square mile. Perhaps we should compare that to the unit that is made up largely of the city and streets of Pittsburgh where hunters harvested 14.46 deer per square mile and 11.23 per square mile of those were antler less deer, nearly ten times as many antler less as were harvested in unit 2G.

Explain to everyone how hunters can continuously harvest over 14 deer per square mile, year after year, around the city streets of Pittsburgh but the big woods unit of 2G can’t sustain harvests of more then 3 deer per square mile.

According to Bluebird it couldn’t be habitat related though so it must be that the deer in Pittsburgh have well over four fawns for every one the 2G does have and all of those Pittsburgh fawns must survive after being born too.

R.S. Bodenhorn
Well my predator thread got hijacked for the time being. I am curious of that also of the above. You got the Pittsburgh WMU and number of tags sold for that WMU and the harvest numbers? I do know alot of the Pittsburgh area is private and posted land and unhuntable do to city limits.
Old 01-21-2009, 01:00 AM
Giant Nontypical

Well my predator thread got hijacked for the time being. I am curious of that also of the above. You got the Pittsburgh WMU and number of tags sold for that WMU and the harvest numbers? I do know alot of the Pittsburgh area is private and posted land and unhuntable do to city limits.
You'll find that just about every PA thread around here winds up being hijacked into a deer management AR/HR brawl usually by Bluebird

The Pittsburg WMU is 2B and the allocation of antlerless tags has been essentially unlimited because thousands of tags go unsold each year for that unit. Much of it is private land and access is not as easy as walking onto the gamelands but is very much available to responsible hunters who ask well in advance of the season. Oh and yes we have coyotes here too. I've seen coyotes while hunting 10 minutes from downtown Pittsburgh. They're even becoming a problem in suburban neighborhoods taking cats and small dogs.

You can find tag allocationa and harvest figures here

http://www.pgc.state.pa.us/
Old 01-21-2009, 03:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

Limited hunter access in 2B prevents hunters from harvesting enough doe to control the herd. AS a result the herd increases or remains stable at much higher densities than in 2G,which allows hunters to have a high sustainable harvest rate that is much higher than in 2G,where high doe harvests reduced the herd.

Quick Reply: Predators and deer

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.