Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Predators and deer

Old 01-20-2009, 01:52 PM

Default RE: Predators and deer

ORIGINAL: bluebird2

Here is what the PGC has to say about predation by yotes.
What effect do coyotes have on deer populations?

Response: Coyotes do kill deer, but they don't appear to be seriously impacting deer populations anywhere in the state. Studies in New England have shown that coyotes there are responsible for roughly 50 percent of known fawn losses. However, their research also revealed that more than three-quarters of all newborn deer survive. In Pennsylvania, our data also indicate that coyotes are not a major mortality factor in deer populations; they're no more significant than other mortality factors such as deer lost to highways, crop damage, dogs, starvation and poaching. All mortality factors -- excluding hunting --annually account for about 150,000 to 175,000 deer.
The PGC could offset the effects of predation by simply reducing the antlerless allocations, but since they want a smaller herd they don't really care about predation.
It is very much starting to look that way from the data,Or they have no clue about deer management. Not being a smart arse,But it is pointing that they want way lower than carrying capacity of the habitat by not taking predation into their equation.
Old 01-20-2009, 02:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

t is very much starting to look that way from the data,Or they have no clue about deer management. Not being a smart arse,But it is pointing that they want way lower than carrying capacity of the habitat by not taking predation into their equation.

They haven't been managing the herd based on the carrying capacity of the habitat since 1980. But ,now they are managing the herd in 2G at at least 30% below the goal they set in 2003 and the 2003 goal was below the MSY carrying capacity of the habitat.
Old 01-20-2009, 02:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

bb Idont think it is just 2g that is below carring capacity this is where hunters need to unite for all pa
not just there wmu they hunt in
Old 01-20-2009, 02:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

I agree and that is what I have been saying for the past 8 years. I just used 2G as an example because it is the one WMU where the PGC has successfully reduced the herd below the goal it established in 2003. There is no question that the PGC is managing the herd below the carrying capacity of the habitat, because if it wasn't breeding rates would have increased as the herd was reduced.
Old 01-20-2009, 03:13 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: bowtruck

spoul maybe all the mountain lions down there killed or run off all the bobcats
yessssssssssss.
Old 01-20-2009, 03:18 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: R.S.B.

Are the foxes dieing of starvation then your saying? What is your guess of coyote population in your state?

No fox probably aren’t starving to death just like few deer actually starve to death. But, starving isn’t always the way nature reduces a wildlife population to keep it within the limits of its food supply. The more typical method of limiting wildlife populations is with lower reproductive rates or recruitment rates that fit the availability of the food supply.

I don’t know how many coyotes we have but the number really doesn’t matter anyway. They are here in all areas with suitable habitat and have been for a long time.

Here is a link that should help you become better informed on coyotes and how they function in nature.

http://www.pgc.state.pa.us/pgc/cwp/view.asp?a=458&q=163663

What evidence do you have in the decline of coyotes because the increase of bobcats?

Besides personal observations also by being a Conservation Officer that monitors wildlife population trends by using volunteers that travel designated wildlife survey route each fall. As those volunteers have recorded increasing bobcat numbers they have also recorded declining coyote numbers.

Most the time coyotes run in pairs or more. I would think they would attack a bobcat just to kill it as they do foxes.
Again they are protecting their food sources from other predators.

That is an extremely rare occurrence. Read the above link.

They killed 22% of the fawns that are born. That was when your deer herd numbers was high. Now when you lowered your deer herds,What % of fawns for re-population won't make it thru the first year?

Predation by any species was very low in the study area where they had suitable deer habitat and extremely high where the deer habitat has been degraded from year of high deer population.

Here is a link to the fawn study mortality facts.

http://www.pgc.state.pa.us/pgc/lib/pgc/deer/pdf/fawn_survival.pdf

R.S. Bodenhorn
here in clinton county,the coyote numbers are highest i have seen from the time they wereall of sudden here,which would be in early 90s.

no doubt about that.
Old 01-20-2009, 03:19 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: bluebird2

I agree and that is what I have been saying for the past 8 years. I just used 2G as an example because it is the one WMU where the PGC has successfully reduced the herd below the goal it established in 2003. There is no question that the PGC is managing the herd below the carrying capacity of the habitat, because if it wasn't breeding rates would have increased as the herd was reduced.
what is carrying capacity for clinton county.
Old 01-20-2009, 03:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

The PGC goal for clinton Co. was 16 DPFSM , but the true carrying capacity of the habitat was higher than that figure.
Old 01-20-2009, 03:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

it seems to me almost all wmu should be able to carry 16-21 dpsm but i am not a wildlife bio
Old 01-20-2009, 03:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

You may not be a wildlife bio, but you are right and most WMUs can carry a lot more than that.

Quick Reply: Predators and deer

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.