Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Predators and deer

Old 01-20-2009, 07:31 AM

Default RE: Predators and deer

From my readings,Fawn survival doubled when coyotes was removed from the area. This was also the case with black bears being removed from the area also where fawns was born. K9s have excellent smell and can seek out these new borns quite easy.So their defence doesn't work to well on coyotes as they would on bear.
It's enough charlie to say that when the coyotes was removed from fawning areas the fawn survival doubled.

Also coyotes will kill fox and bobcats that are in their area to protect the food supply. In NY where coyotes are,you see very little fox sign any more. They will attempt to kill every fox and bobcat they see.
Old 01-20-2009, 08:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

I beleive the coyotes will only breed enough to sustain the pack wqelfare and not overbreed as say a wild pig. I beleive you when you say no fox or bobcats when coyotes are around. The are the smartest animals in the woods today. I love hunting them, but do not beleive we will ever kill them all out of existence. They are a fabric of our outdoor traditions now!
Old 01-20-2009, 08:18 AM

ORIGINAL: Buck Hunter 1

I beleive the coyotes will only breed enough to sustain the pack wqelfare and not overbreed as say a wild pig. I beleive you when you say no fox or bobcats when coyotes are around. The are the smartest animals in the woods today. I love hunting them, but do not beleive we will ever kill them all out of existence. They are a fabric of our outdoor traditions now!
After a year old,The pups are kicked out to establish their new home and breed. They will continue to breed as domestic dogs do.
Old 01-20-2009, 09:53 AM
Boone & Crockett

From my readings,
What are they? I'd like to check it out.
Old 01-20-2009, 10:21 AM
Giant Nontypical

From my readings,Fawn survival doubled when coyotes was removed from the area. This was also the case with black bears being removed from the area also where fawns was born.
Where can we find this information you're talking about???
Old 01-20-2009, 10:31 AM
Giant Nontypical

bob, you find anything on that READHEAD hunter from pa. on fawn legs
Old 01-20-2009, 10:37 AM

http://bowsite.com/bowsite/features/articles/deer/seminars/coyotes/

Where deer densities are too high and hunting pressure light, the coyotes are actually doing the deer herd a favor by taking out a few deer. On the other hand, where we have deer populations less than 10 deer per square mile, coyotes may have a negative impact.

I will find the other read in a bit. I need to get something done first here.
Old 01-20-2009, 10:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

No,because it's a flat out lie.Coyotes do not take carcuses back to den sites.In order for a coyote to bring in 26 fawns,it would have to kill every fawn in a radius several miles around.Thats an urban legend and one inwhich the pictures never seen to surface.

There's tons and tons of coyotes inthe midwest.How much an effect do they have on the fawns?

Read the fawn study journal.Coyotes and bears did indeed kill fawnsat about the same rate.They were responsible for about 50% of the fawn mortality in the Quehanna area.They didn't kill 50% of the fawns like some in the USP have tried to say.Fawn predation is not a huge factor but it's a bigger factor in areas where the habitat is poor.
Old 01-20-2009, 10:41 AM
Giant Nontypical

50 % of fawns born are killed by predators in the BIG WOODS like western clinton county.

near farms,say for example, like farms near beech creek, the predators kill 8% of fawns born.

bears/coyotes are bigone.

this may be one of reasonswhy i have fawns in my yard each year but see very few in woods.
Old 01-20-2009, 10:44 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: DougE

No,because it's a flat out lie.Coyotes do not take carcuses back to den sites.In order for a coyote to bring in 26 fawns,it would have to kill every fawn in a radius several miles around.Thats an urban legend and one inwhich the pictures never seen to surface.

There's tons and tons of coyotes inthe midwest.How much an effect do they have on the fawns?

Read the fawn study journal.Coyotes and bears did indeed kill fawnsat about the same rate.They were responsible for about 50% of the fawn mortality in the Quehanna area.They didn't kill 50% of the fawns like some in the USP have tried to say.Fawn predation is not a huge factor but it's a bigger factor in areas where the habitat is poor.
douge, why would someone make up fib like that.

Quick Reply: Predators and deer

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.