Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

pa crossbow

Old 01-26-2009, 01:21 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: pa crossbow

[blockquote]quote:

ORIGINAL: bluebird2

I found this on another MB and I don't know if it is true since I no longer get the PGN. can anyone verify this?

[blockquote]quote:

In the last few days, someone on this Forum made reference to the latest issue of Pennsylvania GAME NEWS, and the 2008 Big Game Scoring Program. I can not find that reference, but my GAME NEWS arrived today, and I found the scoring program results quite interesting.

Recognizing trophies scored from 2002-2008, I found these two totals eye-opening: 91 typical white-tailed deer trophies were taken with a firearm; 207 typical white-tailed deer trophies were taken with a bow! If I read that correctly, nearly 70% of the typical trophy bucks measured during this latest scoring program, were taken with a bow![/blockquote]
[/blockquote]

good info, blue-bird.

i hope DOUGE reads that, he says GUNS kill all bucks.

almost every big buck i saw this year was shot with a bow.

you dont see pictures until AFTERgun buck season
One small but very important difference in that report is that bowkills get on that list with a minimum score of 115" while gun kills require a minimum of 140" If we applied equall standards to both bow and gun,there would only be 59 bowkills on that list compared to the 91 gun kills
Old 01-26-2009, 04:27 PM

Default RE: pa crossbow

How many bow hunters are going to shoot a 115 class buck? I bet none on here would shoot that small size buck. Maybe take a look at the size class also with that report and see what size bucks are being taken. Bow hunters are hunting for racks and that is about all when it comes to bucks. Why should they settle for a small class buck when they have doe license to fill their freezer? Take a look at the rack size chart thats been kept from that data and you will see I am right without me even looking at it myself. Bow hunters will pass on a small 115 class buck on the first day. But you get a 140+ buck in range on the first day and it is going down.
Old 01-27-2009, 04:58 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE:Vote 4-3 Full Inclusion

Vote 4-3 Full Inclusion

What a sad shambles this controversy has left the hunting community in. Hunters against hunters. Archers against rifle hunters. I hope when the smoke is all cleared out, that some members of the hunting community can look other hunters in the eye and feel proud thatthey had resorted to statements such as those made in the last paragraph of this article.

http://www.mcall.com/sports/outdoors/all-c1_outdoors-2.6760199jan27,0,318559.story

Archers protest Pa. Game Commission vote on adding crossbows to hunting season By Gary R. Blockus | Of The Morning Call January 27, 2009 HARRISBURG | - It didn't take long for the hot-button issue to surface during the three-day Pennsylvania Game Commission quarterly meeting at the agency's headquarters.

Archery hunters united Sunday and Monday to give the assembled commissioners an earful on the proposal to allow the use of crossbows statewide during regular archery season.

The commission will render a final vote on the proposal today, but members of the United Bowhunters of Pennsylvania were vocal during two days of public comment prior to the voting, which also will give preliminary approval to 2009-10 hunting and trapping seasons and bag limits.

''It could lead to the ruination of the sport of archery hunting in this state as we know it,'' Don Heckman, an archery sales representative, said to the nine game commission members present to hear testimony in the over-filled auditorium that spilled out into a makeshift seating area in the foyer of the commission headquarters.

[/align] [/align] [/align]Archery hunters have enjoyed a six-week archery-only deer season in the fall and see the addition of crossbow hunters as unfair competition for trophy bucks and a threat because of a crossbow's superior distance and accuracy over recurves and compound bows.

According to the PGC, there were 924,448 licensed hunters in 2007, but only 266,841 licensed archery hunters. In states where crossbow hunting is concurrent with other archery big-game seasons, numbers buying archery licenses jumped dramatically, said Bill Chalfont, who testified that he saw statistics from other states that claimed 40 percent of rifle hunters bought into crossbow hunting when crossbow season is allowed to run concurrent with archery.

''You'll see the rifle hunters coming into our ranks, and it's going to decimate the herd,'' said Joe Basile, who also identified himself as a member of UPB.

''[The crossbow] has no place in archery season,'' said Tim Jeffcoat. ''It requires no practice and no knowledge of the sport.''

Crossbows, like compound and recurve bows, were allowed during firearms season, turkey and spring gobbler seasons, but also during archery season in Wildlife Management Units 2B (Pittsburgh area), 5C and 5D, which include Lehigh, Berks, Bucks and Northampton counties.

Members of the UBP, who identified themselves as such but said that they were testifying as concerned citizens, cited a crossbow demonstration at the Archery Trade Association show in Indiana, where someone placed four arrows in a one-inch circle from 100 yards away, which is rifle-like accuracy. Compounds and recurves are generally used for shots within 40 yards.

While many of the UPB members were quick to characterize nonbowhunters as lazy and unethical, other members of the group asked the PGC to consider separate archery and crossbow seasons.
[/align]
Old 01-27-2009, 05:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: RE:Vote 4-3 Full Inclusion

I'm not in favor of full inclusions but I'm also just as sick of all the fighting.I would never buy one unless I had no other choice.I also don't think they'll have any effect on the rsource
Old 01-27-2009, 06:12 AM
Typical Buck

Well Doug, I was forced to hunt with a crossbow for 3 seasons until I was able to work myself back into shape to shoot a compound and now a long bow. From my experiences, anyone that believes that this newly added weapon to the archery season won't affect the resource is fooling themselves.

In my mind, those hunters that have no interest in hunting deer during the October and November archery seasons, but prefer to hunt with a rifle during the firearms season, just got a bone stuck up their arse with these new inclusions. I could be wrong, but I doubt it. Time will tell.
Old 01-27-2009, 06:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

I don't disagree.Glad you were able to recover.
Old 01-27-2009, 10:35 AM

Not as bad asthe bone the archers just recieved though.
Old 01-27-2009, 11:08 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: ManySpurs

Well Doug, I was forced to hunt with a crossbow for 3 seasons until I was able to work myself back into shape to shoot a compound and now a long bow. From my experiences, anyone that believes that this newly added weapon to the archery season won't affect the resource is fooling themselves.

In my mind, those hunters that have no interest in hunting deer during the October and November archery seasons, but prefer to hunt with a rifle during the firearms season, just got a bone stuck up their arse with these new inclusions. I could be wrong, but I doubt it. Time will tell.
it will and here is how.

first, it will put more huinters in woods after the deer that are left.

this will STINK up woods.

this STINK will make archery hunting a lot harder for all of us because deer will get noc-turnal more,its happening now where i hunt because of IN-LINE season.

so,i feel that the gun season may be your better time too hunt as CREWS should do better as the push the deer from noc -turnal stink archery season.

i may be wrong and only slight inncrease but i can say, MOST of compound hunters are going to sell their bows in my area,no doubt about that.

is crossbow easier to use,YOU BET IT IS AND A NOVICE CAN KILL OR WOUND A DEER MUCH BETTER.

with scope on crossgun ,no doubt shots will be taken at 60 yds, no doubt about that.

i do think hunting will get much HARDER in woods, i dont mind have challenge but if new archery hunters are in your area, forget about getting a state buck,it aint going to happen..

Old 01-27-2009, 11:22 AM
Giant Nontypical

if anyone needs advice on which crossbow to get and why, drop me a PM, sproul knows his crossbows