Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

walkin in my woods

Old 01-23-2009, 04:27 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: walkin in my woods

You can't hold a good deer down.

Old 01-23-2009, 04:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

That is simply amazing. I often marvel at how wildlife survive the extreme conditions they are subjected to.

However , if those deer die of starvation was it due to a lack of browse or was it due to the deers inability to access enough browse.
Old 01-23-2009, 05:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

that is amazing
Old 01-23-2009, 06:18 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: BTBowhunter

RSB

I was always under the impression that a hard crust, say 6-10" that was not quite hard enough for deer to walk on was pretty tough on them because itrubs their lower legs raw. We don't see that stuff often even around my camp in 2F. Is thatmyth or fact?

Yes a crust that the deer can’t walk on and instead keep breaking through is hard on deer. It eats up their energy, results in broken legs and makes it much easier for predators, including pet dogs, that can stay on top of the crust to quickly run a deer down and kill it or in the case of dogs just eat chucks out them while they are still alive.

Hard crust or ice under the snow though is a blessing to the deer since it raises them up to a level where they can reach browse that would normally be out of their reach. Ice on the rivers and streams is also a good thing for the deer as they will walk along on the snow swept ice and reach browse along and hanging out over the normal water line that they couldn’t reach without the elevation of the ice.

Turkeys are fine on crusted snow. As long they have mobility they will find food even when they can’t dig down to the ground.

R.S. Bodenhorn
Old 01-23-2009, 06:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

BTB, we do something similar on our ground if we can in plowing. We swipe all of our roads, which we plant, to give them an easier time finding something to eat. We've also plowed out a bit of a few fields. Gotta feel for em in this type of weather.

That pic is neat. They are amazing survivors aren't they?
Old 01-23-2009, 06:24 PM
Typical Buck

I should have added this to my previous post but simply didn’t think of it at the time.
We had some warmer weather the past couple of days and by this afternoon a lot of our deep powdery snow was compressed and not nearly as deep as it was. I saw a fair amount of both deer and deer sign on the ridges again today and a lot more turkeys out walking around on the snow traveling to and around the spring seeps.

Today’s weather was a blessing to both the deer and turkeys of this area.

R.S. Bodenhorn
Old 01-23-2009, 07:04 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: bluebird2

There is no way the PGC will close doe season in any WMU unless they are order to do so by the court and that is highly unlikely.
By closing the doe season they would be admitting that they reduced the herd too much and they will never do that. They may cut the doe tags by 5 or 10K ,but they won't close the season.
blue-bird, when you see a lot of crews in woods driving steep sidehills and did not get a doe,cutting the DOE/DMAP permits would not even help.

i could see if everyone was getting a doe but thats not case in clinton/potter county where i hunt a lot.
Old 01-23-2009, 07:07 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: BTBowhunter

My buddy had a great idea. He was plowinghis driveway last week with his quad and buzzed out into his field and took a few swipes across the snow and exposed some of his field. The deer showed up that night and have been pounding the snot out of that area since.
i did same thing in my yard ,bob 2 weeks ago.

deer have not returened and RSB was right, today was first day my sqirreals came back to feeder but no deer.

rabbits have been back but now the fox/owls are eating the rabbits as i have them coming to 1 spot i cleared.[:@]

Old 01-23-2009, 07:11 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: lost horn

You can't hold a good deer down.
DOUGE,i bet that was in treasure lake, yep
Old 01-23-2009, 07:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

That picture has been floating the net, and not even taken in PA probably.

Quick Reply: walkin in my woods

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.