Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

TORE INTO THE TROUT!!! How did you do?

Old 04-12-2003, 07:32 PM

Default TORE INTO THE TROUT!!! How did you do?

Hey fellow Pennsylvania Sportsmen,

Just wanted to see how everyone did on the first day of trout season. It rained here all day yesterday, so the streams were a little high and pretty muddy. Well, I started fishing in the usual manner. I waded from down stream, towards upstream, casting upstream and bringing my 1/8 ounce White Roostertail down. I wasn' t getting follows, let alone hits. Nobody was catching anything. At 8:30, I decided to switch it up and go into " crazy mode" . I started fro, upstream (right below the big hole) and walked down stream. While walking down stream, my right side of the stream was very slow water, hardly moving at all, while the left side was fairly fast riffles. I tried the slow water, thinking it might be good, because I catch most of my trout in slow water. Well, I decided to go crazy. I cast directly downstream, and VERY VERY SLOWLY reeled right up the riffles with my roostertail, and BAM. My first hit was at about 8:45 a.m. I kept using this same technique and I had my limit in about 10-15 minutes. So, I kept fishing, but, catch and release. By about 9:45, I had landed well over 20 trout. My friend who was slow drifting nightcrawlers in the riffles managed to pull out 5 trout from 8:00 to 9:45. Other than him, I saw two different guys pull out trout. One was fishing live minnows, and, in that hour and fourty-five minutes, he pulled out two. I am not sure what the other guy was using, but, he only managed to pull one trout out while I was there. At about 9:45 the fishing slowed down, they stopped on the white roostertail, so I threw on a black 1/8 ounce roostertail on and caught about 4 more by 10:15. From 10:15 to 10:30, I used a Mepps Aglia (gold blade), rainbow trout dressing. I managed to pull out two more, then, at 10:30, I called it a day. So, in the first 2 and a half hours of trout season, I landed somewhere around 30 trout. Then, I had to go home and get some rest (staying up till 5:00 a.m. when you have to be up at 6:30 a.m. is not a very wise decision )

So, how did all of you guys do?
Old 04-13-2003, 11:08 AM

Default RE: TORE INTO THE TROUT!!! How did you do?

Buck. we fished a native stream, four of us including my friends nine year old. He caught the first two before any of us could even catch one, We cught about 25 fish between us with the biggest being an 11 1/2 inch brown. The rest were brookies between eight and five inches long. We kept four between us that were hooked badly and released all the others. As the crowds shrink we will start to hit the stocked streams. enjoy, juniorpc
Old 04-13-2003, 01:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

It was raining?? Where in PA did you fish? It was sunny and warm here all day. The Conestoga river was muddy here, so I' m guessing the smaller streams were muddy around here as well. I did not get a chance to go this week, so I' m gonna try for next weekend.
Old 04-13-2003, 05:20 PM
Giant Nontypical

congrats...sounds like a great day..in 2 days we fished 6 streams and were completly skunked..unless you consider my fowl hooked minnow i snagged on purpose out of bordem because it liked my gold spoon...sat we drove 3 hrs to salmon creek...nothing...tionesta creek..nothing..ross run..dad got a native but it got loose...hemlock..nothing..tried worms spoons rooster tails..dad tried panther martins..nothing! talekd to 20 some guys...all had the same story..NOTHING! i seen 2 guys on tionesta catch holdovers...pretty big trout about 16inchers..todya we had nothing to do so we wnet to 2 of the sewage water creeks they stock around here..both were slaughtered yesterday but we were bored...still guys elbow to elbow on any pool of size...we got skunked today..i dont think any of the creeks we ifshed yesterday were stocked..i think maybe becuase of all the snow up there they couldnt get back on them tiny roads to stock...thats the only sensible thing anyone said all day....water was cold and a little high on the smaller creeks...tionesta was a little higher...i cant wait for inseason fishing...it should be alot better!...i cant wait!
Old 04-13-2003, 08:21 PM

I was here in Indiana County. It didn' t rain here while I was out yesterday, the night before (Friday). Mauser06, my best friend and his uncle were up on the Tionesta. Maybe you saw them, they each caught some big trout (my friend' s was a 17 6/8" rainbow, and his uncle caught a 18 3/8" brook).

I am going out to try Little Mahoning tommorow, word is that hardly any trout were caught out of there. Tommorow the water should be fairly clear, and back to normal, and hopefully the crowds won' t be there. Maybe I can go find one of the breeder Palamino' s that they put in there. I am actually thinking about buying some mice at a pet-shop and using those around a bridge that they normally put the big ones under.
Old 04-14-2003, 06:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

My story sounds about the same as Mauser' s. Only a few guys we talked to had caught anything....most were skunked! This is the first opener in at least 5 years that I haven' t limited.....and I didn' t even have a nibble![:' (]
Old 04-14-2003, 09:06 AM
Boone & Crockett

My group did reasonably well. I took 3 (missed many), one brother-in-law took his limit of 5 while the other took 4 and my father-in-law took 3 in the morning as well. We fished the lake in the mid-afternoon with no success. I probably will not get out again until next Sunday.
Old 04-14-2003, 10:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

I' m going to wait untill the crowds leave before I even go out...[:-]
Old 04-14-2003, 12:06 PM

We fished the Yough at West Newton on Saturday. Bad idea, the water was very high. I caught one, a 14" rainbow, the rest were skunked. I fished Deer Creek, here at home Sunday afternoon and caught five in less than 2 hours, released them all. None were over 10 inches. I' ll take my daughter to Deer Lakes Park next weekend. She likes to fish with power bait and does well, but she won' t let me throw back any that she catches. She' s 5. So I end up cooking these 7-9 inch baby trout so she can say she call tell her friends she ate them.
Old 04-14-2003, 01:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

I haven' t had a chance to make it out yet, but I' ll be out this weekend. I take it that noone has had any concerns over what happened last season with the stocked fish.

Quick Reply: TORE INTO THE TROUT!!! How did you do?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.