Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

2 rabbits in 167 miles

Old 01-11-2009, 07:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default 2 rabbits in 167 miles

Today i drove 167 miles and seen 2 rabbits now i wasnt
overly looking for them till i seen one and thought how
long has it been since i saw a rabbit. i just thought it was
was odd wasnt too long ago they ran back and forth in front
of you all day long
Old 01-11-2009, 07:16 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: 2 rabbits in 167 miles

well do you live in a area with allot of coyotes? that could explain for it. or there all road kill
Old 01-11-2009, 07:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

alot of the area i dont know if there is alot of coyotes only drive threw those area for work
once in awhile and for roadkill i dunno all fresh snow
Old 01-12-2009, 04:52 AM
Giant Nontypical

It wouldn't have any thing to do with the dozens of hawks and owls that you passed along the way,cause we all know that they only eat rats and mice.
Old 01-12-2009, 05:20 AM
Typical Buck

The sidewalk sissies that are moving in to the country also dont help. First thing they do is strip the property. And brush piles are a thing of the past. Limbs that fall off my trees i make piles for cover.
Old 01-12-2009, 07:50 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: cardeeer

The sidewalk sissies that are moving in to the country also dont help. First thing they do is strip the property. And brush piles are a thing of the past. Limbs that fall off my trees i make piles for cover.
Your right on that , lawns are to barren to hid a night crawler. cats & owls out all night, hawks & crows all day ,a rabbit doesn't have much chance.
Predators dominate the woods today.[:@]
Old 01-12-2009, 09:05 AM
Giant Nontypical

For years I've heard that rabbits are down due to the clean farming practices of today. That sounds logical until you see an abundance of rabbits in suburban yards. Whats "cleaner" than the mowed lawns of suburbia?

Then you go out to the reverting farms we see more and more of today and stomp the goldenrod and greenbrier etc, traditionally good rabbit cover,and see very few.

I don't pretend to know the answer. I'll only say that there must be more to it than simply a lack of good habitat.
Old 01-12-2009, 09:22 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: BTBowhunter

For years I've heard that rabbits are down due to the clean farming practices of today. That sounds logical until you see an abundance of rabbits in suburban yards. Whats "cleaner" than the mowed lawns of suburbia?

Then you go out to the reverting farms we see more and more of today and stomp the goldenrod and greenbrier etc, traditionally good rabbit cover,and see very few.

I don't pretend to know the answer. I'll only say that there must be more to it than simply a lack of good habitat.
Its not just rabbits, go to a swamp in the summer and try to find a bull frog. Go to the same swamp in the winter and try to find a muskrat.

Yet we have blue herons in every ditch, leave a muskrat in a trap that does not sink right away and all you will have in the morning is what the great horned owl couldn't eat on sight.

We protect every avian predator out there then scratch our azzes wondering why there is no small game. This ain't rocket science.[:@]
Old 01-12-2009, 10:03 AM
Fork Horn

In 24 years of hunting the same tract of land in West Virginia I have only seen 3 rabbits and 1 was decapitated right before I got to it. Squirrel and grouseare every where though, I may actually shoot a few this year, I haven't been squirrel hunting in at least 10 years and obviously I don't hunt rabbit there either.
Old 01-12-2009, 10:34 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: WestVirginiaBrent

In 24 years of hunting the same tract of land in West Virginia I have only seen 3 rabbits and 1 was decapitated right before I got to it. Squirrel and grouseare every where though, I may actually shoot a few this year, I haven't been squirrel hunting in at least 10 years and obviously I don't hunt rabbit there either.
How about some info on the grouse hunting? Seasons,bag limits & license cost?

Thanks ,jim

Quick Reply: 2 rabbits in 167 miles

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.