Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

2 rabbits in 167 miles

Old 02-07-2009, 05:49 AM

Default RE: 2 rabbits in 167 miles

ORIGINAL: BTBowhunter

Trappers trap for pelts. Making trapping available does not mean they will go out and trap coyotes when the pelts are worthless. Huntingis allowed 24/7/365 and very little coyote huntingis done outside theoffseason. The coyotes killed by hunters oustide the prime pelt season are most often incidental kills while the hunter was out for somethingelse. I doubt that trappers would go out and try to kill off their potential income source by killing their prey when it's worthless to them.

As for encouraging the illegal killing of raptors, go right ahead and use your first amendment rights. It is absolutely your right to say what you want even if it isn't very smart to do so.
You get more money for fox than you do yotes. Yotes kill foxes I have heard that are in there hunting areas or if they run across a fox they will kill it just to do so. I read this on a trappers forum a few days ago. Trappers have had foxes chewed up by coyotes that was in their traps. They didn't eat them,Just killed them for the hell of it. Where you find coyotes, You very seldom find any foxes. I am sure there would be alot of people who have extra time on their hands or own property would trap them 24/7. Alot of trappers wish they could trap all year long.Just for the fun of it.Same as hunters who would like to hunt all year long.
Old 02-07-2009, 06:37 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: bluebird2

The gross exaggerations you post undermine anything you hope to accomplish . I doubt their is anywhere in the state where owls kill 28 rabbits as you claim. how many rabbits were left after the owls killed all those rabbits?
well, we found 3 so far from dec to now this winter.

also i am only hearing about 3 owls now but come next week, you will hear 8 ,its MAKE ALL LITTLE OWLS TIME AGAIN.[:@]
Old 02-07-2009, 06:42 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Coalcracker

Glad to hear it. Perhaps the next time you accompany a young hunter into the field you will take my example once more and refrain from breaking the game laws.
The first Saturday I took my grandson in my treestand around 3 in the afternoon and the farmercame around 3:30, to harvest his corn from my field. We sat and watched the rabbitsrunning from the corn into the woods behind us, he really enjoyed that and so did I,so it made the hunt worthwhile. When we returned to the house my son had seen a buck and a doe, come out of the woods behind us while we were in the treestand. There was no way of knowing if they passed by our stand, we werehaving too much fun watching the rabbits. Isn't that what hunting is all about, not what you kill?

The second Saturday he wasn't allowed to go hunting, he got into trouble at school for not doing his homework.
isnt that truth.

i have no problem wit A OWL killing a rabbit or two but for 8 owls to come into about a 1/4 mile area to MAtE and get big and sassy on rabbits,that is wrong.

i know MANY that used to shoot every owl they saw.

those people are gone and we had rabbits then to see and hunt..

we just have too many predators in woods.

look at bobcats, they had so many they put a season thing to kill them.

why not OWLS.

make it in feb each year.

only 1 owl per hunter with permit.

hey PGC , now there is way to make some money.
Old 02-07-2009, 06:54 AM
Giant Nontypical

Trappers trap for pelts. Making trapping available does not mean they will go out and trap coyotes when the pelts are worthless. Huntingis allowed 24/7/365 and very little coyote huntingis done outside theoffseason. The coyotes killed by hunters oustide the prime pelt season are most often incidental kills while the hunter was out for somethingelse. I doubt that trappers would go out and try to kill off their potential income source by killing their prey when it's worthless to them.

As for encouraging the illegal killing of raptors, go right ahead and use your first amendment rights. It is absolutely your right to say what you want even if it isn't very smart to do so.
its so dang cold that most of hunters dont go out.

last night you should have heard the barking by coyotes 1 mile from my home, it echoed up the valley.

it was at 8pm,i was trying to shoot last fox in my yard.

he arrived at 11pm but i could not get gun out window quick enough to shoot.

those coyotes must have been after deer at our feeder,we have feeder right at barking, it was awful.

talking about fox, we got 8fox in 1 night about 1 month ago.

i think kal got 40 dollars a pelt for silver ones.

but i hunt coyotes in late may/june most using a fawn call.

i cant take this cold out there but this week is GREAT time to fox/coyote hunt.

you can see them coming WITHOUT a red light for 100 yds,its full moon out.
Old 02-07-2009, 11:32 AM
Boone & Crockett

Trappers have had foxes chewed up by coyotes that was in their traps. They didn't eat them,Just killed them for the hell of it. Where you find coyotes, You very seldom find any foxes.
We have both here and it's quite common for them to share the same areas though. We have bobcats to at times they have chased the coyotes away. Perhaps because they might have a den nearby, I am not really sure why though. Coyotes attacking foxes in traps is quite common as well as coyotes attacking other coyotes in traps. I think it depends more on how well they have been eating more than anything else though.