Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

2 rabbits in 167 miles

Old 01-14-2009, 07:01 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: 2 rabbits in 167 miles

ORIGINAL: bawanajim

ORIGINAL: cardeeer

The sidewalk sissies that are moving in to the country also dont help. First thing they do is strip the property. And brush piles are a thing of the past. Limbs that fall off my trees i make piles for cover.
Your right on that , lawns are to barren to hid a night crawler. cats & owls out all night, hawks & crows all day ,a rabbit doesn't have much chance.
Predators dominate the woods today.[:@]

yiou are right too.

i have records of 28 rabbits in my yard and 1 mile around it that died from OWLS in feb/mar last year.

go to sgl 252 ,best habitat in world and you will see very few rabbits.

why, predators and over hunting.

millers gun shop put out birds on their land for pheasant hunting, i think around 25 birds.

they saw 2 birds when saturday came.

predators got the others that fast over 5 days.

i agree with bob,around our homes we have rabbits but cats/fox/ owls/hawks get a lot of them but not as bad as in woods wheremore predartors are and more hunters that kill and kill and kill.

when you see SGL252 and best habitat aND NO RABBITS OR DEER, SOMETHING IS WRONG ,FOR SURE.
Old 02-05-2009, 11:11 PM
Spike

Same here in the Mid Hudson valley rabbits are near zero hunting even guys I know that have beagles are'nt doing well at all they blame the foxe's & the coyote's for the lack of game
Old 02-06-2009, 05:10 AM
Fork Horn

I agree with the problems of birds of prey protection hurting small game badly. I know its nice and all to protect them but what about the small game most guys enjoy hunting and eating. Here in southeast PA rabbits seem to be doing ok. I can go hunting and see a fair amount of rabbits. But forget about pheasants and quail. They're non existant, except the released ones for hunting reserves but they are just an easy meal for fox, owls, and hawks. At least guys can trap and hunt fox and coyotes to help out. On my dads farm, we released pheasants a couple times and they are gone very quick, always finding piles of feathers within a week. Squirrels are very abundant, they don't seem to be affected by predators like rabbits. At my house 1.3 acres, I've been improving the habitat for rabbits, but ever year I find at least 2 piles of fur, I blame it on this owl that hangs around. All these cats running around also are very threatening to the nests of bunnies. Guys must also realize if you go out hunting and only see 2 rabbits and shoot them both your not allowing them a chance to reproduce.
Old 02-06-2009, 07:41 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Zrabfan26

I agree with the problems of birds of prey protection hurting small game badly. I know its nice and all to protect them but what about the small game most guys enjoy hunting and eating. Here in southeast PA rabbits seem to be doing ok. I can go hunting and see a fair amount of rabbits. But forget about pheasants and quail. They're non existant, except the released ones for hunting reserves but they are just an easy meal for fox, owls, and hawks. At least guys can trap and hunt fox and coyotes to help out. On my dads farm, we released pheasants a couple times and they are gone very quick, always finding piles of feathers within a week. Squirrels are very abundant, they don't seem to be affected by predators like rabbits. At my house 1.3 acres, I've been improving the habitat for rabbits, but ever year I find at least 2 piles of fur, I blame it on this owl that hangs around. All these cats running around also are very threatening to the nests of bunnies. Guys must also realize if you go out hunting and only see 2 rabbits and shoot them both your not allowing them a chance to reproduce.
VERY WELL SAID.

i have 8 owls every feb here in clinton county come to my yard to kill rabbits.

they are hungry, nothing in woods to eat, so they head to my yard.

last year i found 28 dead rabbits in about 1/4 mile from my home.

i walk my dog daily.

now, OWLS do it and FOX do it.

a fox will come right into your porch for rabbit.

i killed 2 so far.

as for pheasants, the HAWKS will kill them and the FOX/COYOTES will get them at night.

i feel biggest kilker of pheasants is the FOX and does it at night.
pheasants sit on ground, if they sat in a tree, they would survive better.

fox will clean them out.

what i would like to see is owls caught out and taken to areas that are remote, not around our yards.

hey, they reduce the deer because they say they have no food, what about OWL,if too many owls are in area, shoot or trap them out and put somewhere else.
Old 02-06-2009, 07:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

Owls have no effect on their habitat.If they had no food,they'd mover somewhere else.Are you saying there's no mice or squirrels in Clinton county?Did crews kill all of them as well.
Old 02-06-2009, 08:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

If you found 28 dead rabbits you obviously have too many rabbits and the owls are just doing what comes naturally. They certainly aren't controlling the population.
Old 02-06-2009, 08:49 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: DougE

Owls have no effect on their habitat.If they had no food,they'd mover somewhere else.Are you saying there's no mice or squirrels in Clinton county?Did crews kill all of them as well.
Mr. Habitat, mice don't run on top of the snow, squirrelsaren't seen at night, now what do you think these night hunters feed on?

Coyotes don't hurt your habitat, neither do mountain lions, if all predators were protected, there would be noneed to hunt.

Man is the one that keeps the predators under control and that is why we have sport hunting. I think you spend too much time with your forester friend looking for flowers in the woods.
Old 02-06-2009, 09:14 AM
Giant Nontypical

There seems to be an over abundance of crows now days,of course the only two things I know that eats them are great horned owls and the [&:]bird.
Old 02-06-2009, 09:18 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: bawanajim

There seems to be an over abundance of crows now days,of course the only two things I know that eats them are great horned owls and the [&:]bird.
Why are you posting this personal attach in all your posts, which has nothing to do with the subject at hand? You are really becoming a hemorrhoid.
Old 02-06-2009, 09:34 AM
Giant Nontypical

The [&:]bird accused me of plagiarizing post I made on another thread.Seems you shouldn't need reminded of that since you also made disparaging remarks about my writings. I gave him ample opportunities to man up and apologize which he has not seen it as the honorable thing to do, not publicly or even in a PM.
As for you who cares.

And to stay on topic I have seen crows kill baby rabbits and I have seen owls eat crows,as for [&:]birds eating crows I guess thats just a nasty rumor going around.

Quick Reply: 2 rabbits in 167 miles

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.