Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

crossbows in NY state

Old 01-06-2009, 05:14 PM
Fork Horn

Default crossbows in NY state

what are the possibilities of NY state ever allowing the crossbow for hunting? whats the latest news on this subject???looks like our PA neighbors are finally smartening up.
Old 01-06-2009, 07:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: crossbows in NY state

I bowhunt exclusively with a recurve, but support the inclusion of the crossbow in the NY archery season.

It will take legislation - the DEC cannot do it.

Steve
Old 01-06-2009, 07:07 PM
Spike

As far as I am concerned, they should. However, this being NY, I wouldn't hold my breath till it is passed.
So, for the record, I feel that all of the following should be legal in any county in the State:
Centerfire rifle,
shotgun,
centerfire pistol,
centerfire revolver,
any muzzleloader,
any bow,
any crossbow.
Just my opinion, but getting it passed in NY is near impossible.
Old 01-07-2009, 08:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm not a fan of Xbows.Compounds make learning to shoot a bow well plenty easy enough as it is.The idea behind bow hunting is it's supposed to be a challenge.Other than limiting your range some Xbows eliminate that.
Old 01-07-2009, 08:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: sits in trees

what are the possibilities of NY state ever allowing the crossbow for hunting? whats the latest news on this subject???looks like our PA neighbors are finally smartening up.
I think it's just a matter of time. The interest is there and growing. I'd be suprised if it wasn't a reality within 5 years.
Old 01-07-2009, 04:28 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: Bernie P.

I'm not a fan of Xbows.Compounds make learning to shoot a bow well plenty easy enough as it is.The idea behind bow hunting is it's supposed to be a challenge.Other than limiting your range some Xbows eliminate that.
so what your saying is crossbows like rifles present no challenge. just walk out the door and plug one huh???do you believe rifles and x-bows should be burned right along with witches?
Old 01-07-2009, 06:18 PM
Giant Nontypical

DELETED PER STEVEBNY
Old 01-07-2009, 07:03 PM
Banned

Manufacturers and VERY few hunters are pushing for xbows in Pa.

Until about 6 months ago, one of our commissioners on the pgc board stated that they received request for crossbows at public input meetings by ONE person, a crossbow representative. (HIS words, not mine).

They are being shoved down our throats by a few commissioners on the board that want every deer killed that they can get.
Old 01-07-2009, 08:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Cornelius - what does that have to do with this thread?

Steve
Old 01-08-2009, 09:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: sits in trees

ORIGINAL: Bernie P.

so what your saying is crossbows like rifles present no challenge. just walk out the door and plug one huh???do you believe rifles and x-bows should be burned right along with witches?
Never said anything of the kind.I just don't see how they present the same challenge as trad bows or compounds for that matter.They're cocked so there's much less chance of the animal spotting your movement.You can rest them in many cases for greater accuracy and just squeeze the trigger.I'm a trad shooter myself but I also hunt with scoped rifles and a scoped ML.I've nothing against technology or special permits for disabled hunters but I just don't see Xbows as much of a challenge compared to other bows or the need for them.

Quick Reply: crossbows in NY state

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.