Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

crossbows in NY state

Old 01-08-2009, 11:20 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: crossbows in NY state

ORIGINAL: sits in trees

what are the possibilities of NY state ever allowing the crossbow for hunting? whats the latest news on this subject???looks like our PA neighbors are finally smartening up.
I have read a letter written by Pete Grannis to Tommy Downy (leader of legislation). In it Grannisstates that he is pro crossbow for the handicapped hunter. Do not be surprised if you see it added this fall.
Old 01-08-2009, 12:09 PM
Banned

"Cornelius - what does that have to do with this thread? "

It was in reply to the first post made in this thread by 'sits in trees'. He said:"looks like our PA neighbors are finally smartening up."

And in relation to thatstatement, my reply was on topic and accurate.
Old 01-08-2009, 05:39 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: Bernie P.

I'm not a fan of Xbows.Compounds make learning to shoot a bow well plenty easy enough as it is.The idea behind bow hunting is it's supposed to be a challenge.Other than limiting your range some Xbows eliminate that.
so what your saying is crossbows like rifles present no challenge. just walk out the door and plug one huh???do you believe rifles and x-bows should be burned right along with witches?
Never said anything of the kind.I just don't see how they present the same challenge as trad bows or compounds for that matter.They're cocked so there's much less chance of the animal spotting your movement.You can rest them in many cases for greater accuracy and just squeeze the trigger.I'm a trad shooter myself but I also hunt with scoped rifles and a scoped ML.I've nothing against technology or special permits for disabled hunters but I just don't see Xbows as much of a challenge compared to other bows or the need for them.
why is it so important to you that every thing is a major challenge. lets make things fun and get more hunters in the woods..
Old 01-09-2009, 01:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Crossbows, if they become legal implements, are fine with me.
Old 01-09-2009, 02:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well for one thing if bow hunting wasn't more of a challenge there would be no need for a bows only season and we'd be lumped in to the regular season with all the gun hunters.As it is I'm surprised we still have an ML season.Years back you had to use patched balls and no scopes.With the scoped ML's we have today 200 yd shots are possible.Speed loaders allow for much faster loading/second shots.All things considered it's pretty difficult for us to claim we need a special ML season these days.Shooting a TC Omega with a Leupold scope I certainly cant make that claim.Least ways not with a straight face .A few years ago rifles weren't legal in Chenango Co where some friends built a camp.I used my TC there because it had it all over my 12gauge for accuracy and reach.Archery season is headed the same way.That aside how can you compare the fun factor shooting an Xbow to shooting trad or compounds.I sold my Oneida just because it wasn't any where near the fun of shooting my longbow or recurve.To me shooting an Xbow seems pretty dull.Why bother?
Old 01-09-2009, 03:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

IMO the challenge of bowhunting is not the short range, but drawing the bow undetected ,when the game is in range. Most of my gun kills have been within compound and X bow range.

Personally, I say if theyre gonna seriously consider X bows to increase hunter participation and deer harvests , might as well, do away with all special seasons and make one long centerfire rifle season statewide. If not, keep it the way it is.

I love my bow and ML but I never quite understood the reasoning behind seasons for them. Gimme X# of tags, basic safety regs, a real deer check system instead of the poacher friendly ," honor sytem" we have now, and let me fill em how I damn well please. I dont think the deer really care how they get wacked anyway.
Old 01-09-2009, 03:55 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: SaintHubert

what are the possibilities of NY state ever allowing the crossbow for hunting? whats the latest news on this subject???looks like our PA neighbors are finally smartening up.
I have read a letter written by Pete Grannis to Tommy Downy (leader of legislation). In it Grannisstates that he is pro crossbow for the handicapped hunter. Do not be surprised if you see it added this fall.
it's already allowed for the handicapped hunter,but you basically have to be paralyzed from the chin down?
Old 01-09-2009, 03:58 PM
Fork Horn

Well for one thing if bow hunting wasn't more of a challenge there would be no need for a bows only season and we'd be lumped in to the regular season with all the gun hunters.As it is I'm surprised we still have an ML season.Years back you had to use patched balls and no scopes.With the scoped ML's we have today 200 yd shots are possible.Speed loaders allow for much faster loading/second shots.All things considered it's pretty difficult for us to claim we need a special ML season these days.Shooting a TC Omega with a Leupold scope I certainly cant make that claim.Least ways not with a straight face .A few years ago rifles weren't legal in Chenango Co where some friends built a camp.I used my TC there because it had it all over my 12gauge for accuracy and reach.Archery season is headed the same way.That aside how can you compare the fun factor shooting an Xbow to shooting trad or compounds.I sold my Oneida just because it wasn't any where near the fun of shooting my longbow or recurve.To me shooting an Xbow seems pretty dull.Why bother?
i dont get what your getting at, what on earth is wrong with a muzzle loader that can down a deer at 200 yds, or speedloaders or a scoped muzzleloader????? beats the pickles out of patching your balls!
Old 01-09-2009, 08:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

IMO the challenge of bowhunting is not the short range, but drawing the bow undetected ,when the game is in range.
So treestands and groundblinds should not be used in bow season either?

Steve
Old 01-09-2009, 09:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: SteveBNy

IMO the challenge of bowhunting is not the short range, but drawing the bow undetected ,when the game is in range.
So treestands and groundblinds should not be used in bow season either?

Steve
Good point, but Im not saying crossbows shouldnt be allowed, Im simply saying why bother with them, its just another pointless thing to buy. Yeah I know ,"if you dont want it dont buy it" but why should hunters have to buy another type of weapon to increase there time in the woods? Why not just do away special seasons if the dec isnt selling enough licences and killing enough deer and just allow centerfires to fill all their tags.

Quick Reply: crossbows in NY state

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.