Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

PA Regulations??

Old 01-06-2009, 10:15 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: PA Regulations??

ORIGINAL: BTBowhunter

ORIGINAL: livbucks

Money...from archery stamps and better yet bribes by xbow manufacturers. It isn't about deer...only greenbacks this time.
Pretty hard to rule that one out isnt it?

I've heard that Horton, for one has hosted a lot of VIP trophy hunts to promote the inclusion of the crossbow. The VIP's allegedly are politicians and appointed members of many various states and agencies but lets face it, with 900,000 hunters, PA is the big prize. It would also be a very big first domino for the industry to topple.

Why else would the commisioners vote it in while admitting that they haven't studied the magnitude of the likely effects?
bob, you would not believe the dealerships that want to see crossbows legal in archery even tho it may reduce the compound bows they sell.

i found out 1 reason,they left a slip by mistake in box of guy i sighted his crossbow in for him.

he had it to dealership to send in for repairs.
YOU WOULD NOT BEDLIEVE THE DISCOUNT THEY GET FOR REPAIRS AND HANDLING BOW FOR YOU TO FACTORY.

they have to send it in for you,you cant.

your bill may say 160 dollars,but it was only 90 dollars, rest went to dealer.
Old 01-07-2009, 08:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

BTB, my Beloved XBow state is PA, pay taxes, own ground, banned compounds on my ground because of your org. in 2008! I just happen to live in Ohio which made me a beleiver quicker. Easier to learn because of stock. Didn't have to worry about my shoulder coming out when pulling string. Was able to re-introduce 3 older fellows who had quit bow hunting, and get them rengaged in the sport. was able to introduce my daughter who does not have the arm strength to pull a bow back to the stringed hunt.
Every time i pay to play in PA, I earn the right to the woods, it's obvious most of your efforts in this issue have fallen on deaf ears! Maybe my way, spreading around the cha-ching get's the PAPGC's ears better than what you call a sportsman organization??? Money is what they will hear, coins clinking, not these forums, not those supposed public meetings, MONEY TALKS and BS Walks. That is why Xbow is in the state(s) I will be hunting! Maybe you guys ought to purchase more politicians like the Xbow lobby did, you might find the reality of the PAPGC is not hunters welfare, but their own pockets and paid for agendas!
Old 01-07-2009, 08:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yep,they're definately easier to use.That's why most bowhunters don't want them in the general archery season.
Old 01-07-2009, 08:34 AM
Giant Nontypical

If you or your friends have a legitimate physical problem pulling a bow, the crossbow has been an option for you for many years. Just get it signed off by your doc and you're good to go.

"Easier tolearn because of stock" is the type of lame thinking that has prompted this controversy

If you're not disabled, man up and hunt with a real bow like the rest of us
Old 01-07-2009, 08:39 AM
Giant Nontypical

Its not that I'm for them ,butI don't see the point in fighting over how we kill the deer that we are allowedkill.
The number of tags and antler restrictions arethe onlythings that have any effect on the number of deer killed.
Dumb dear is the only oneI know of that didn't have ample opportunities in the existing seasons to kill an antler less deer.
AR"s do keep some from filling their back tags,but if they won't or can't put the time in now to be successful I don't see them putting up another grand to kill one with a Xbow.
Of course I hunt on a private deer farm so these laws will have no effect on me.
Old 01-07-2009, 08:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

I think it all boils down to principle and the traditions we as bowhunters in this state have built. It'll be a shame when the day comes that more people are toting a xbow into the woods instead of a compound or recurve.

If you have medical problems that prohibit you from using a tradition bow or compound, then yes, I have no issues with crossbows. But for the people that are perfectly capable of pulling a bow back but would rather use a crossbow, you're just plain lazy in my book.
Old 01-07-2009, 08:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

What it boils down to is,bowhunters ahve fought hard to be able to hunt the rut.If too many pre-rut bucks are harvested,we could very well lose the privelage of hunting the rut.Adding crossbows to the general archery season could potentially impact the pre-rut buck kill.On top of that,if you're too lazy to become proficient with a regular bow,just use a rifle.
Old 01-07-2009, 09:14 AM
Giant Nontypical

I think you guys might be onto some thing for the first yearor so but I think using your own logic I don't see these guys sticking around long once they find out that you can't just climb an oak tree and expect to shoot a deer. They are not the driven.
The one's that are serious ones will soon find that lugging that cumbersome heave X bow is not that much fun and will buy a compound ,and the rest will do what many do now,they will bitch and whine that there are no deer.
Honestly I think your giving the lazy, back at camp by ten bunch to much credit, they can't kill deer now and they won't be able to with a X bow.
Old 01-07-2009, 09:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

You may be right Jim.

I never liked the ideas of full inclusion for crossbows.However,I was trying to keep an open mind up until fairly recently.I'm on a deer managamentcommitteefor a private residential community in Clearfield county.This past year we had approximately 200 bowhunters hunting this property.About 30 of those guys are using crossbows because they have disabled permits.Several of these guys I know personally and they're far from disabled.In any event,the vast majorities of issues we've had involved the guys using the crossbows.So far,4 crossbow bolts have been found in people's yards that were shot from the road.The vast majority of the roadhunting compalints we get areabout guys using crossbows.
Old 01-07-2009, 09:55 AM
Giant Nontypical

Slobs are slobs PA has more than our share. Make the punishment a deterrent and you will see the crime stop.

If you are caught shooting from your car then take the car and the weapon , if they want the car back make the fine an even thousand dollars, cash on delivery,no easy payment plans.[:-]
I'll bet you bust two maybe three and word will get out and that will stop.Ma ma won't be happy to hear that the Ole man lost the family car.[]

The P.G.C. pisses off masses of guys busting them for simple violations, I don't feel most guys leave their homes with a game law violation in mind ,yet major poaching cases are treated with kid gloves. Put the boots to deer poachers where it hurts.

Quick Reply: PA Regulations??

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.