Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

PA Regulations??

Old 01-06-2009, 01:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: PA Regulations??

i am gessing no one remebers when the trad long bow guys was saying the samething about compounds
will ruin there hunting bla bla bla the first year or 2 there was more guys out there then they found out
it wasnt as easy as they thought they hung there compounds and probaly a few still sit there all dusty
i think a x bow is just a tool sure there will be more guys out there the first year or 2 but then they
will find out its not as easy as gun you still have to get close do scouting be paitent there x bows will
sit in a closet or somewhere else not all will be ruined IMHO
i started with a trad bow compounds came out i got one of them still take old trad bow out every year
but do most of my hunting with the compound i will buy a x bow if it is passed and hunt with it
funny in pa almost anyone can say my shoulder hurts to the doctor sign this. in ny it almost impossible to get
one unless the only wat to release it is by breath
a good archer will ajust and overcome any challenges a xbow will bring
Old 01-06-2009, 02:36 PM
Giant Nontypical

Bowtruck, I was around for that one. Hunted (and killed a few deer) with the recurve before the compound came in. That WAS 35+ years ago and a lot has changed.

I'm not 100% against crossbows but if they are to be brought into regular bow season in a state with 300,000 hunters, we need to have a method of transition and to be able to reverse any trend that might lead to the shortening ofour already short season.

BH1

Why don't you just stay in your own beloved crossbow state? I did my best to be fair and to point out some valid concerns that are shared by many bowhunters including those that lobbied long and hard so that the likes of ungrateful outsiders like you could hunt in November with a bow in our state.

You're damned right we EARNED it!
Old 01-06-2009, 02:38 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: Buck Hunter 1
You play it like you are or use both weapons, but the entire comparison is slanting down hill for your compound boys to again have your own season. Forgetting that I pay for a license, pay taxes and have a voice and opinion. IN fact my opinion certaninly does not degrade other types of weapons nor ask for "my! earned right to be in the woods!"
Great point about having "our own season" I would support the decision to allow Xbows in their "own" season similar to flintlock compared to inline muzzleloader but just because you choose the easiest stringed weapon as what you prefer doesn't mean allowing Xbows has any benefit to the "archery" experience.
Young hunters should learn tradition and have a sense of pride in that tradition.Show them the easy way and that's what they will prefer to do, too few youth today have any work ethic and promoting this method of hunting contributes to exactly that. No one can argue it takes alot more dedication to be proficient with a long bow than with a string gun. It's sad for me to see youeither never had or have already lost your sense of pride in the sport of archery.
Another thing... If Xbows are allowedit needs to be mandated that anyone using one has to pass theBowhuntercourse. Anything less would be completely irresponsible on the behalf of the Game Commission.
Old 01-06-2009, 02:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

i has been that long hasent wheres the time go
i understand the concern but think it will work out in the wash
Old 01-06-2009, 03:06 PM
Giant Nontypical

I agree that there will be an initial rush followed by a glut of crossbows for sale in the local classified ads.

When muzzleloaders were first legalized and given their own season special season was designated in select game lands only. After they were legalized statewide, their use grew so fast that the antlerless deer harvest got to high in certain counties and the PGC decided to make a Muzzy hunter choose between a regular doe tag and a muzzy stamp. The issue went away withthe advent of bonus tags and flintlock muzzy use has leveled off.

I would be OK with a slow start like they did with ML's back then but I'm against this all at once leap into uncharted waters. The staff and commissioners have all admitted that they really don't know what the impact will be. It doesnt make sense to jump right in under those circumstances.
Old 01-06-2009, 03:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

for a few years didnt they make you choose between archery and muzz
or was that something else
Old 01-06-2009, 03:56 PM
Banned

I dont think they belong period. Slow, fast or medium implementation.

They arent bows. We definately don't need added harvest. Dont need LOSS of real bowhunters voice in legislation effecting bowhunters as has happened in ohio, with crossgun toters now the majority of archery season participantsout there.

It also creates a rift among sportsmen that lingers on and on. Its been many years since Ohio implemented them, and still there is great resentment about the issue still today among many ohio archers.

As for anyone who saysthat we just don't want them in the woods... Correct me if Im mistaken, but a man carrying a bow takes up just as much space as one carrying a crossgun. Noone is preventing him from filling that space out there in the autumn woods NOWother than himself.If one would rather sit on the sofa instead of in the woods because crossbows arent legal, then no, they do NOT deserve an additional 6 weeks afield in the nicest time of year. Put in the time and dedication and do it the right way. Dont beg for provisions to be made for cheap shortcuts.

I also disagree with the inital onslaught of xgun buyers then decline. Exactly the opposite occurred in ohio. Long gradual increase. Many will run out at first, then after the shock has worn off and some of the unacceptance wanes, slowly others follow suit in picking them up. Also more and more get "experience" with them by hearing stories from friends using them... Maybe Shooting abuddies crossgun....Lots of more affordable "used" xbowsfor first time buyers become commonplace..etc.

I don't think we would come close to seeing the full extent of how many would pick up the weapon until at least 8-10 years or so in.
Old 01-06-2009, 04:02 PM
Giant Nontypical

they never made you chose between archery and muzzy but when muzzys first came to PA, the growth rate exploded in a few short years causing the PGC to be concerned about the uncontrolled doe kill by the new muzzy hunters (hard to imagine now eh?)

What they did was put a limit on muzzy stamps and made a hunter surrender his doe license application in exchange for the muzzy stamp.

Also for a time. muzzyseason got shortened to 4 days.

At that time, early archery was 4 only 4 weeks long usually ending around November1.Late archery Started Dec 26 and ended very shortly afterNew year.

Ever since the early archery season was extended into November(which happened in the early 90's), there have been repeated efforts to take back that last two weeks by jealous, rifle only, hunters.Don't beleive for a minute that the coming of the crossbow won't refuel those fires
Old 01-06-2009, 04:07 PM
Banned

"causing the PGC to be concerned about the uncontrolled doe kill by the new muzzy hunters (hard to imagine now eh?) "

Yep. Pgc actually having been concerned about overharvest at one time... Hard to believe. But that was before ecoextremists ran the ship.

I agree about rifle hunters outcry likely to increase. And I cannot blame them one bit. When you consider the extreme unnecessary reductions that equal WAAAY fewer deer for them, then add greatly to the pre-rifle season ranks with xguns...

Id say there is a legit gripe there. I don't rifle hunt at all. But I see no good in riling up thethe majority...who are the rifle hunters. Doing so will lead to things not favorable to our season. We have been getting by just fine without crossguns.
Old 01-06-2009, 04:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

i do agree we have been getting along without crossbows
but most americans these daays are lazy there probaly not crossbows are not guns .
going to take the time do scout and get deer close
to the gun hunters that whine we have first choice i say
yeah so by a bow and dedicate the time i do to shooting scouting
trimming woods instead of picking up gun on thaanksgiving shooting
a couple times and saying well thats meat in the frezzer
myself i shoot my bow most every day 10 months a year
but i used to shoot comps and stuff now i too old to run around
shooting all over

Quick Reply: PA Regulations??

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.