Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

PA Regulations??

Old 01-09-2009, 06:10 PM
Banned

Default RE: PA Regulations??

Sorry, but "bow" doesnt have "cross" in its name.

"where is the fire in crossbow"

Thats what happens when you put the rifle stock to your sholder, place the xgun stock on your knee or monopod (or truck window) and pull the trigger.... You "FIRE".

Old 01-09-2009, 06:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

i guess any bow is a gun because you FIRE IT
the stock comon you got to do better than that
i guess if you put a stock at the end of a sharp stick
and throw it at a deer it would still be a gun to you
hope to retire my switchback next yr
Old 01-09-2009, 08:02 PM
Banned

No it wouldnt be a gun. And just like a crossbow, it wouldnt be a bow either.

Instead of being a "hybrid" cross of a gun and bow like a crossbow, your new invention would be a bizarre cross between a gun and stick.

Although your stick with the gunstock would probably be closer to being considered a bow than a crossbow is since you didnt say anything about having a built in trigger, detachable monopod or a rifle scope on it.
Old 01-09-2009, 08:04 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Cornelius08

Fact remains, as I state, MOST STATES DONT ALLOW THEM IN THEIR ARCHERY SEASON FOR ALL. Which is more "telling" than the fact a handful of states actually have legalized them thanks to the efforts of manufacturers petitioning to expand their business.

"It comes down to the fact that you started off making a big deal out of the fact that crossbows would become the ultimate poachers tool."

I actually didnt. Its not the first or foremost part of the topic Ive discussed. Its one you choose to harp on andignore all others and is the only reason its still going on. But in all fairness, It wasnt an opinion I formed out of "nowhere"... Some state agencies havestated that they had a problem with it. Take it up with them if you dontlike it.

"Kind of silly to argue this since the crossbow is likely gonna end up being used in PA and elsewhere because folks like you are generally the best thing that the anti movement can come up with."

And far better thananything YOU can come up with. Care to breech all the "maleffects" that upuntil now you've purposely and decietfully avoided? ha ha ha. I thought not.
--------------------------------------

FROM NEW YORK CONSERVATION OFFICERS ASSOCIATION.:

"The New York Conservation Officers Association was founded to promote "Conservation for Future Generations". With our commitment to ensure that future generations of New Yorkers will enjoy an abundance and variety of wildlife, we promote an adherence to the highest levels of outdoor ethics and sporting methods, and encourage respect for our wildlife and other natural resources.
We believe that management of our wildlife resources should be based on sound biological principles, population dynamics, and sustained yield principles. We feel strongly that this management should not be influenced by the profit margins of industry.
We, as officers sworn to protect our state’s wildlife, have concerns that poaching trends may be influenced by the legalization and advancing technology of crossbows. Because of this advancing technology, Ragnar Benson, the most well-known, self-proclaimed poacher on the North American Continent, has embraced the crossbow. Benson, the author of "Survival Poaching" and "Hardcore Poaching", has now published a book about the use of crossbows for various purposes, including the illegal taking of game. It is inevitable that, if crossbows come into widespread use, their use for poaching will become a problem for us to contend with. The proponents and manufacturers of crossbows have always maintained that the crossbow is not an effective implement for poaching, and that it would never gain prominence for that purpose. We, of course, disagree. The only factor that has prevented the crossbow from becoming a significant problem for wildlife enforcement officers is that not many people own them. If their use becomes legal, and ownership increases, we are certain to see their use also increase for the illegal taking of game. We would agree that the crossbow is not the most effective implement for poaching. However, when the violators consider the fact that their chances of getting caught will be considerably reduced because no shots will be heard or reported if they use a crossbow, they are certain to take up its use for their illegal activities. Why should this type of person have any concern over the fact that they may wound a few animals before they are able to take one into possession? When the chances of discovery have been almost completely negated by not using the traditional firearm and relying on the silence of the crossbow, the poacher may confidently continue to take additional shots at game that has been missed and remains undisturbed. If they hit and wound an animal and it runs off, they can simply continue their search for another victim until they are successful, because no concerned citizen will hear any shots to report to the authorities. The poacher would not be best served by the most efficient weapon at his disposal, when another best reduces his chances of being caught. Taking this into consideration, the crossbow could readily become the most effective poaching implement."

Hmmm. Interesting. Take note of red areas I highlighted for your convenience. Again, Nywco statement and views, not mine.

LANSE, you have to admit,the above is intertesting and i guess is happening where crossbows are available
Old 01-10-2009, 01:30 AM
Typical Buck

Sproulman:
1) What exactly do you find so interesting about that post? I find the whole article to be quite disgusting considering that the New Yuk conservation officers assoc is calling the hunting public a bunch of poaching sneaks,that are out of control and given another form of weaponry will just make them have to work all the more diligently at capturing them. That article is what gives organizations like PETA fuel for their fire
2) Where in that article did you read anything that gives you the idea that poaching is happening in areas that allow the use of crossbows?
Old 01-10-2009, 09:35 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: rem700man

Sproulman:
1) What exactly do you find so interesting about that post? I find the whole article to be quite disgusting considering that the New Yuk conservation officers assoc is calling the hunting public a bunch of poaching sneaks,that are out of control and given another form of weaponry will just make them have to work all the more diligently at capturing them. That article is what gives organizations like PETA fuel for their fire
2) Where in that article did you read anything that gives you the idea that poaching is happening in areas that allow the use of crossbows?
rem, only place i heard that POACHING was happening with crossbows , was at RAYSTOWN LAKE IN RESTRICTED AREAS.

the ranger said they found 41 bolts from crossbow.

now, if you read my post, i said the thompson contender 222/223 was latest weapon being used by the hard core poachers.

if you read what i said , i dont hate crossbow ,i hate all new crossbow hunters that will be in early archery season and many that think they can shoot 60 yds.

i was at wal-mart yesterday.

i heard a hunter who says he kills a lot of deer each year.
he goes from county to county.

he said,HEY THOSE CROSSBOWS CAN SHOOT 60 YDS, JUST AIM OVER DEERS BACK AND SHOOT.[:@]

that is awful to think that there are going to be people doing that.[:@]

now, in my area, only place i think a crossbow will be used is near a home or PARK.

shoot the deer with crossbow, let your buddy out of truck, you disappear for 1 hr, come back and load deer up.

now, crossbows dont have to be legal to do this.anyone can get crossbow and letting them legal MAY increase the number of this type of person but i still think the rifle and now the best one PISTOL

making it LEGAL to carry PISTOL in archery season and while SPOTLIGHTING is one big mistake, for sure.

AGAIN, I WAS COMMENTING TO THAT ARTICLE BECAUSE IT WAS CONSERVATION OFFICERS THAT SAID CROSSBOW WILL BE THE WEAPON OF CHOICE.

i dont 100% agree with that because if that was true, thats what they would be using MOST now, its not ,the THOMPSON CONTENDER PISTOLin 223/222 is weapon of choice now out the window of truck for poaching and road hunting. [:@]
Old 01-10-2009, 09:51 AM
Giant Nontypical

I feel so much better about myself now my THOMPSON CONTENDER PISTOLis in 30-30 no poaching here.
Old 01-10-2009, 09:58 AM
Fork Horn

This crossbow thing is another cancer of our AR and trophy hunters. The trophy hunters want an earlier chance at shooting a trophy buck and the bow hunters don't want the competition.

Plain and simple, it's all about greed, so I shake my head at the reasons for and against crossbows.
Old 01-10-2009, 10:02 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Coalcracker

This crossbow thing is another cancer of our AR and trophy hunters. The trophy hunters want an earlier chance at shooting a trophy buck and the bow hunters don't want the competition.

Plain and simple, it's all about greed, so I shake my head at the reasons for and against crossbows.
go to front of class
Old 01-10-2009, 10:03 AM
Giant Nontypical

In a state such as PA where you can only shoot one buck per year,does any reason butraising revenuemake any sense?

Quick Reply: PA Regulations??

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.