Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

PA Regulations??

Old 01-08-2009, 09:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: PA Regulations??

I don't think the poaching thing holds too much water either. Poaching is poaching. Trying to shoot a crossbow out the window of a car would be difficult and too cumbersome to lug around. Not to mention that the bolt, if not found, could be found by a WCO and used as evidence.

My question is why now, does the PGC see a need to include them? Our season's have went just fine without them. I may be off base here, but I don't recall a big out cry from the public to have them legalized. If that's the case, what is their reasoning?
Old 01-08-2009, 09:17 AM
Boone & Crockett

I can only speak for Illinois. They started out being legalized for disabled folks to allow them to participate in archery season. They were recently made legal for anyone 62 or over. It is safe to assume that,if there is no verifiablenegative impact from allowing limited C-bow hunting, then there will eventually be an effort to fully include them in archery season. Think that it is safe to assume that the crossbow makers will be happy to encourage this and to shell out big bucks to lobby for it.
Old 01-08-2009, 12:53 PM
Banned

"Pandora's box was opened a long time ago when the PGC allowed compound bows in PA. Then along came in-line muzzloaders with scopes(may as well be usinga centerfire rifle)I disagreed with both decisions. "

So? One should have nothing to do with the other(s) and each should have been and should be in the future looked at INDIVIDUALLY as it should be about what is the effect to the resource and also what is the effect to overall hunter satisfaction in both the effects and as to wether or not the majority actually WANT the implement legalized. Im not concerned with rewriting history and its not gonna be done. But that doesnt mean one bit we shouldnt strive to have sound decisions made and not just allow mistakes to occur because George Washington chopped down a cherry tree hundreds of years ago, so crossguns should now be legal!! Gimme a break! You want an easy shortcut. So lets call a spade a spade and quit dancing around the FACTS.

"So unless you are a purist using a bow with no mechanical advantage (i.e. longbow), or you use a flintlock with roundballs, I don't see how you can b*tch about crossbows. It's way too late for that."

According towhom?? YOU?[8D] 4 Pgc commissioners?[8D] Crossbow manufacturers?[8D] Call me crazy but I'd say that 900,000 Pa hunting license buyers should have some kind of say in all this. Currently MANY more have petitioned the board of commissioners AGAINST inclusion. I guess you dont support hunters having a say in anything, just like the anti-deer crew?

BTW, crossbows ARE currently legal. There are several weeks to use them.
Old 01-08-2009, 01:09 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Buck Hunter 1

here you go w/ all of your accusations about Xbow hunters. Parking lot talk because you won't open your eyes to reality. My mother who is 83 doesn't spread rumors as fast as the bunch here. The dirges you sing amuse me. Elitism shows in everything you write and the more i push back the more your true colors are uncivered. You are the only true hunters, you are the woodsman, you are the only guys who spend time in the woods patterning, working and spotting the buck.........Sproul, I love you man but 43 bolts? The rest of you guys on here, God Bless you and your stubborness. Your belief that because i shoot a Xbow I am an inferior hunter is so misguided and wrong.You ask for all the shots you get because your thought process are so narrow and wrong. I'm a bait pile hunter because i use a Xbow, now I'm a poacher because I use a Xbow, next you reason I am going to be thesevere reduction of the herd in PA because i use a Xbow.Let me clue you pal, your game program was screwed long before any Xbow came into the woods legally. 900,000 hunters and shrinking, why??? Probably because you definitely do not present a very welcome attitude w/ this elitism spewed on these pages. If i don't step in line w/ you I am an Ohio hunter w/ no skills, not a progressive hunter, not a land manager and not welcome! great job all of you! All your powerful Organizations in PA have reallyt made a difference in the PAPGC attitude towards hunters! Oh that's right you got what yopu want and to h_ _l w/ wvery other hunting discipline! Now I get it and you have proved it, if i don't hunt compound only I am not worthy to hunt the same woods as you. Great.........I will continue to support the Xbow lobby and will start supporting the Inline Lobby as they battle your narrow minded thoughts and anti hunter diatribes. Yes, I shoot the flintlock as well, but i wear my goretex and hand warmers, so traditon don't count it's plain fun. I will support these high powered lobbiebecause your narrow sights and anti hunting speeches will be the death of any hunting futures in PA.
buck,i had to try to remember where i read that or heard it.

it was at RAYSTOWN PARK located in altoona area.

we were fishing a early

state b.a.s.s tournament in april called ICE OUT.,

when registering at office the park rangers told me employees that cut grass found all those CROSSBOW BOLTS on property.in areas that are no hunting .
Old 01-08-2009, 01:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: muzzyman88

I don't think the poaching thing holds too much water either. Poaching is poaching. Trying to shoot a crossbow out the window of a car would be difficult and too cumbersome to lug around. Not to mention that the bolt, if not found, could be found by a WCO and used as evidence.

My question is why now, does the PGC see a need to include them? Our season's have went just fine without them. I may be off base here, but I don't recall a big out cry from the public to have them legalized. If that's the case, what is their reasoning?
i feel it has to be pressure from the CROSSBOW CO. and the hunters themselves that want to kill more doe..

you would not believe the number of hunters that are going to sell their compounds and buy crossbows,A LOT OF THEM.

i was at our bass meeting on monday night, there was 22 of us there.

i asked how many that hunt are going to buy a CROSSBOW.

4 DONT HUNT AT ALL.

out of 18, 12 archery hunt now.

3 of the ones using compound said they are staying with it.

6 that did not archery hunt now are all going to buy a CROSSBOW.
other 9 that archery hunt are all buying a CROSSBOW.

5 already got a crossbow, 2 are EXCALIBER,1 HORTON ,2 BARNETTS.

SO, thats 6 new archery hunters and 15 that are orgoing to buy a CROSSBOW .

ages are around 17 from 35/55 and 5 are 61 to 72.

i also see in-line sales going up and flintlock sales down if the in-lines are used in the late flintlock season.

i also see double hunters in late seasonthan we have now with in-lines and i see more deer killed then too.

same with crossbows, you would not believe the big bucks that were killed by crossbow hunters this year in centre/lycoming countys.

almost all i talked to at gander mountain said they used a CROSSBOW this year and are were fairly young and DISABLED.

Old 01-08-2009, 02:06 PM

ORIGINAL: Cornelius08

I disagree. I think most wouldnt be concerned about a deer running 20-75 yards with its lungs shot out. Especially when it is no harder to get it than it would be if it were shot with a rifle at 100 yards. And NO noise. One guy dropped off to get it. Piece of cake.

Also we are talking only about night hunting from the road... What about sitting in a stand? What about hunting on foot near home?

Ihave zero doubtthat crossbows will add to the poaching. How much is debatable. Might not be a ton more, but just some "switching over" from time to time.

My main reasons for being against inclusion are not poaching, that is just a secondary maleffect concern. Ive already addressed the others which I feel much more strongly about anyway.

i know people who use to hunt with a 410 during smokepole season. carry a couple slugs and some birdshot. during archery and flintlock season small game is in. 22 are legal and wouldn't alert anyone of the gunshot out of the normal.
crossbows are not going to increase poaching one bit.
Old 01-08-2009, 02:29 PM
Banned

"during archery and flintlock season small game is in. 22 are legal and wouldn't alert anyone of the gunshot out of the normal"

Really? What about trespassers on posted property?? Think they want to be heard shooting? What about poaching in summer time? What about night time? What about in fall before small game?

This argument could go on and on, and we arent gonna agree. I disagree and my opinion is no less valid than yours. Doesnt make one bit of diff. though. My argument against xrifles doesnt live or die with "poaching". As Ive already stated that is just a secondary possible maleffect.

There are others that are more significant. I don't think I need to rehash the long dirty laundry list of maleffects which are why crossbows shouldnt be even under consideration. They are spoken of by myself and others on many posts throughout this thread.
Old 01-08-2009, 02:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

crossbow will help poaching i think that is a poor excuse for those who dont want them
as for the inlines i think there great more modern weapons its not 1902 anymore
adjust and overcome
Old 01-08-2009, 02:35 PM
Banned

"adjust and overcome"

That would be good advice for those too unmotivated to use a bow in bow season, but instead beg for shortcuts.

Maybe thats your idea of "adjusting and overcoming"?

BTW, I believe that is ADAPT and overcome.

And in case you missed it, inlines arent being proposed. That shortcut already has its own season.
Old 01-08-2009, 02:43 PM
Banned

here you go w/ all of your accusations about Xbow hunters. Parking lot talk because you won't open your eyes to reality. My mother who is 83 doesn't spread rumors as fast as the bunch here. The dirges you sing amuse me. Elitism shows in everything you write and the more i push back the more your true colors are uncivered. You are the only true hunters, you are the woodsman, you are the only guys who spend time in the woods patterning, working and spotting the buck.........Sproul, I love you man but 43 bolts? The rest of you guys on here, God Bless you and your stubborness. Your belief that because i shoot a Xbow I am an inferior hunter is so misguided and wrong.You ask for all the shots you get because your thought process are so narrow and wrong. I'm a bait pile hunter because i use a Xbow, now I'm a poacher because I use a Xbow, next you reason I am going to be thesevere reduction of the herd in PA because i use a Xbow.Let me clue you pal, your game program was screwed long before any Xbow came into the woods legally. 900,000 hunters and shrinking, why??? Probably because you definitely do not present a very welcome attitude w/ this elitism spewed on these pages. If i don't step in line w/ you I am an Ohio hunter w/ no skills, not a progressive hunter, not a land manager and not welcome! great job all of you! All your powerful Organizations in PA have reallyt made a difference in the PAPGC attitude towards hunters! Oh that's right you got what yopu want and to h_ _l w/ wvery other hunting discipline! Now I get it and you have proved it, if i don't hunt compound only I am not worthy to hunt the same woods as you. Great.........I will continue to support the Xbow lobby and will start supporting the Inline Lobby as they battle your narrow minded thoughts and anti hunter diatribes. Yes, I shoot the flintlock as well, but i wear my goretex and hand warmers, so traditon don't count it's plain fun. I will support these high powered lobbiebecause your narrow sights and anti hunting speeches will be the death of any hunting futures in PA.

Quick Reply: PA Regulations??

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.