Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Connecticut Hunters... state and private

Old 01-03-2009, 11:13 AM
Fork Horn

Default Connecticut Hunters... state and private

Well, I was wondering... Who here hunts on private and who hunts on state. I sawa good sized body spike horn in the sessions woods area yesterday driving by.... This got me thinking, my area sucks right now, only saw a few deer this year... none while i was in the stand. Im thinking of finding a new piece of property to hunt next year but I have still not found anything private land...

Anybody on here ever hunted in the sessions woods area? If not, where do you hunt and on what state land? I was also thinking the nassahegan state forest. But I do not like state land too much because of the overcrowding and people stealing your stands. How are most state lands in Ct... Overcrowded? Deer population?

Old 01-04-2009, 10:30 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Connecticut Hunters... state and private

ORIGINAL: bigwhitetailbuck

Well, I was wondering... Who here hunts on private and who hunts on state. I sawa good sized body spike horn in the sessions woods area yesterday driving by.... This got me thinking, my area sucks right now, only saw a few deer this year... none while i was in the stand. Im thinking of finding a new piece of property to hunt next year but I have still not found anything private land...

Anybody on here ever hunted in the sessions woods area? If not, where do you hunt and on what state land? I was also thinking the nassahegan state forest. But I do not like state land too much because of the overcrowding and people stealing your stands. How are most state lands in Ct... Overcrowded? Deer population?
publiclands here in PA. are almost to point of not enjoying hunting deer.but i still enjoy getting out,i did not see deer, let alone a buck this gun season.

that is first in over 47 years of hard hunting.

but on PRIVATELANDS, some real good hunting, nice bucks were killied on privateland and some on publicland.

i think there is PA poll up and its about same, most hunt PRIVATELAND,thats where deer are.
Old 01-25-2009, 06:50 AM
Spike

I live a couple of miles from Session's. There used to be good hunting in that area but no more. There is no real access near there as the New Britain Water Company land is posted. There is restricted access for bow only at Session's which, despite its name, is a park rather than a WMA. There are a few isolated private parcels adjacent to Session's.
Old 01-29-2009, 04:17 PM
Typical Buck

sessions woods is a wma, but it is also an educational arena for many different wildlife species, and ecosystems. I would dig out the book of hunting regs and start doing some leg work. There are some awesome little pockets of state property that are adjacent to some primo farmland and produce big bucks each year. I have seen 150 class bucks come from state land in Northwest CT.

Sessions woods has demo areas that attract deer, but I would look in to other WMA and forest lands to hunt if I was looking for big deer.

http://www.ct.gov/dep/cwp/view.asp?a=2723&q=326220&depNav_GID=1655#S essionDir