Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

how many hunt public land

Old 01-04-2009, 07:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: how many hunt public land

Unfortunately there are also areas of mature trees with no under story on the game lands where there aren’t deer because that simply isn’t deer habitat.

The PGC claimed mature stands of saw timber can support 20 DPFSM ,but you claim it isn't deer habitat. That would also mean that pole timber isn't deer habitat ,so are you claiming over 80% of our forests aren't deer habitat?
Old 01-04-2009, 07:45 PM
Giant Nontypical

when they stock pheasants,we hunt sgl in lycoming.

hunters all over place.

but very few if any hunt there in deer season, you are right but reason is, LACK OF DEER.

i talked to locals there in antes fork for over 20 years i have been going there to hunt pheasants.

they blamed AMISH the most.

they said they hunted it until everything is dead.

most i talk too say same thing, it is SHOT OUT.

a few deer can make a heck of lot of tracks.
'
i have 2 doe in my area i hunt left,i was out saturday with dog grouse hunting.

you would think there was HERD of deer in that area, tracks all over.

but if you follow tracks andare aware what is in your area, you will see that 2 deer CAN MAKE A LOT OF TRACKS,day in day out.

Old 01-05-2009, 02:05 AM

ORIGINAL: RSB

You guy must have an altogether didn’t situation then we have around here.

The game lands here are the most under hunted areas yet have lots of deer provided a hunter is willing to get into the habitat that should have deer. Unfortunately there are also areas of mature trees with no under story on the game lands where there aren’t deer because that simply isn’t deer habitat. Those are the place I most often see the hunters hunting though. Most of them remember the days when there were lots of hunters pin balling deer across those wide open areas all day and still expect to have deer crossing those wildlife dessert areas now.

Now when I hunt the game lands I can be pretty sure I will not see another hunter and all I have to do is get back in the think stuff where deer can find food and it is over run with deer. My one son and hunted a thick hard to hunt chunk of game lands one day last week and between us we twenty deer in stuff where you were darn lucky if you could see fifty yards in any direction. There were tracks every where.

The game lands around here are excellent hunting for those that are willing to hunt instead of sit waiting to shot something.

R.S. Bodenhorn
wow 20 deer on sgl versus 100+ hunters. how many dpsm by how many hunter psm? the concept is to give out more deer tags to hunters than there are deer? more hunters than deer by 70%= more fawn production now than from previous years when we had more deer? come on now rsb, now we know your bs is bs.

20 deer between you 2? you sure you seen 10 each? maybe it was 7 that looked like 10.

20 of us was pushing deer and 1 ran down the length of the drivers. all together we seen 20 deer between all us also.
just doing math like rsb does to get these results and fool people on here.
Old 01-05-2009, 06:14 AM

ORIGINAL: RSB

Now when I hunt the game lands I can be pretty sure I will not see another hunter and all I have to do is get back in the think stuff where deer can find food and it is over run with deer. My one son and hunted a thick hard to hunt chunk of game lands one day last week and between us we twenty deer in stuff where you were darn lucky if you could see fifty yards in any direction. There were tracks every where.

The game lands around here are excellent hunting for those that are willing to hunt instead of sit waiting to shot something.

R.S. Bodenhorn
sounds like you are suggesting for people to throw lead at deer and hope for a luck shot. you are not going to walk into a deers bedding area and get a shot at one. they will bolt before you see them. what kinda game plan is that? sounds very dangerous advise to me. start throwing lead in the thickets where you can't see who or what might be 20 yrds away. good advice,get someone killed with that kinda talk rsb. where is your common sense. hunt thickets for deer where you can't see clearly for more than 30 yrds. how close do you think you will get to a deer in those thickets to get a non moving shot and know what is on the other side case you miss? your goanna get someone killed with that mumbo jumbo crap of a plan to harvest a deer. unfreaking real from a so called professional.
Old 01-05-2009, 07:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

I didn't read any of that into R.S.B's post Pete.R.S.B is absolutey correct.The public lands in 2G are some of the most underutilized properties in the state.I rarely ever see another hunter on public land.This year I saw three on the first day of rifle season,one on the first saturday and none on the last day.That's pretty much the same every year for me.

I guess you must be one of those guys that hunts in an area where he can see the farthest and then cry when you fail to see a deer.Once again,are you for real?

Old 01-05-2009, 08:09 AM

ORIGINAL: DougE

I didn't read any of that into R.S.B's post

I guess you must be one of those guys that hunts in an area where he can see the farthest and then cry when you fail to see a deer.Once again,are you for real?
ironic statement there. so you are suggesting hunting thickest also then or just walking around the edges of them? some of you people on here are to funny with your statements of what is said and what is not. if the deer are in the thickest how are you going to see them if your not in the thickets where they are? to freakin funny dougy.
Old 01-05-2009, 08:45 AM
Giant Nontypical

I think I might have given the wrong impression with my last post. First, I don't have that much experience on many gamelands in recent years. The very large one that we regularly pass near camp does always seem to get more pressure than the surrounding public ground so we simply keep on going.

Forexample, we slept in on the last day of rifle seasonat camp. We madeit out the door toward our planned spots about the time we should have been on stand. We we're talking about the lack of hunters (parked vehicles) till we hit thegamelandsborder. over the next couple of miles we saw about a dozen cars. Not really a crowd but we only saw two cars in several more miles once we were past the gamelands. This was a typical scenario.

I have no doubt that there is plenty of game deep into that gamelands butsince a virusleft me with permanent heart damage afew years back, Iamno longer capable of going in beyond the crowds. One of my regular companions at camp has a leg thats essentially paralyzed from mid thigh down and since we can find places we can get to that arent pressured, we simply drive on by.

We are usually able to find plenty ofdeer and solitude right down the road. But thats in my part of 2F where there is basically one very large gamelands surounded by ANF and timber company land.

Nearer to home, the game lands where I've hunted in 2B also get a ton of pressure.

From my limited experiences in 2G which was in the Ridgeway and St Marys areas several years ago, I do seem to remember an abundance of gamelands which would seem to dilute the pressure from those folks who seem to seek them out. A that time, we always saw hunters but the numbers were manageable.
Old 01-05-2009, 09:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

What's so funny about hunting thick areas?The areas I rifles hunt are very similar to the areas where I bowhunt.Areas where a 50 yard shot is a long shot.Most success hunters that I know hunt very similar areas.the key to being succesful is hunting where the deer should be,not where you want them to be.You obviously have alot to learn.
Old 01-05-2009, 09:44 AM
Giant Nontypical

I cannot believe some of the things I’ve read in this thread. Time to click the little red hand again.
Pedro, if you truly don’t understand why someone would hunt in a thicket, that has GOT to be a leading reason why you aren’t seeing deer. If you can’t get past that, you are beyond help.

My gameland experience is a little limited, but the times I have hunted there I really cannot complain. Yea it can be a zoo at times but the places were not so devoid of deer that it made hunting useless. Call me crazy but if I was hunting somewhere and wasn’t seeing deer or deer sign, I’d move. Whether it was 100 yds or 10 miles.

Old 01-05-2009, 10:03 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: DougE

I didn't read any of that into R.S.B's post Pete.R.S.B is absolutey correct.The public lands in 2G are some of the most underutilized properties in the state.I rarely ever see another hunter on public land.This year I saw three on the first day of rifle season,one on the first saturday and none on the last day.That's pretty much the same every year for me.

MY FRIEND DOUGE,REASON IS THERE ARE VERY FEW DEER ON SGL.
ITS NOT LIKE HUNTING ON TREASURE LAKE IN DUBOIS, PA.

Quick Reply: how many hunt public land

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.