Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Why is the PGC reintroducing Fishers?

Old 12-29-2008, 07:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Why is the PGC reintroducing Fishers?

Maybe the question went unanswered because the question was not even close to the topic and he chose to ignore the purveyor of spins distortions and lies.
How would you know that, since you claim to block all my posts? Did someone force you at gun point to read Yano's quote of my post?

How do reclaimed strip mines and excellent pheasant habitat relate to the introduction of fishers?
Old 12-29-2008, 08:06 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: moose1915

ORIGINAL: sproulman

Y
i remember when the PGC had deer dropped from helicopters to feed the fishers in fish dam area of clinton county.

i believe it was in early 90s .
it is official. you are beyond a doubt COMPLETELY INSANE.

well, i saw it like i saw a COUGAR.

ask RSB , i dont know his answer, but ask him if they did INDEED DROP THE DOE OUT OF HELICOPTER TO FEED FISHERS..

it was done by NATIONAL GUARD TOO.

stick around, i know more than just a few things that have been done
Old 12-29-2008, 08:13 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: BTBowhunter

ORIGINAL: Windwalker7

Just for the sake of perspective. The annual report in the January Game news itemizes the expenditures from te game fund. Of the almost 69 Million dollars spent, just a little over 300,000 was spent on endangered/ threatened and nongame programs. Thats less one half of one percent for all of those species combinedand a lot of that money comes from federal grants.

Seems to me this is the wrong tree to bark up!

However much they spent towards the fisher project was too much. If funds are really as low as they say, they need to make cuts
Again, a lot of the money for this type of program comes from federal funds that are often specifically designated for certain programs. I don't know how much is being spent on fishers if any at all right now. RSB said the fisher introductions were done from 94 to 98.
All I'm trying to say is that it might be best to get all the facts before singling out any specific program.

I spend around $100 annually on all the licenses permits and tags I buy in PA. Personally, I'm OK with a whole 40 cents going toward stuff I can't hunt, whether it's fishers woodrats, or even cougars!!!
RSB is correct on dates.early 90s.

it was done in FISH DAM RUN AREA .same place they dumped 6 inchs of poo from philadelphia,thats right, 6 inchs of dried human poo spread over a 10 mile area .

trucks arrived at midnight on weekends,ole sproul followed them too and it was POO.SORRY I GOT OFF SUBJECT, OH YES, dcnr KNEW ALL ABOUT IT.

pennstate was involved too.actually there was about 20 people there when they did it.

they dropped doe out the windows of helicopters to feed fishers, oh , i guess i will get laugh on that one but it is TRUE.

Old 12-29-2008, 08:15 PM
Fork Horn

Fishers are breeding and their territory is expanding. They may not need intervention in the future. Pheasants however are a hopeless cause. I was brought up hunting pheasants and rabbits in Berks and Lancaster Counties. I think the only hope we may have had was to close the season for a few years before the wild population became extinct to see if it could recover. But that didn't happen, and the habitat has changed too much. Nothing but pleasant memories, or I can go to a game farm like my brother does.

By the way, I saw tons of squirrels in 2G this year.
Old 12-29-2008, 08:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

When I was a kid we lost two sliding glass doors and a picture window to those damned pheasants. The lived like chickens in our yard. Now there are none.
This all coincided with the farms being turned into housing developments, or growing up in trees from no farming activity. The birds don't actually belong here in Pa so maybe it was never meant to be more than a temporary thing. Them things is Chinese ya know!
Old 12-29-2008, 08:26 PM
Giant Nontypical

Is South Dakota in China?
Old 12-29-2008, 09:18 PM
RSB
Fork Horn

There haven’t been any fishers released or trapped and relocated since before the last license increase. There are still some Grad Students doing some fisher population monitoring, but that is primarily with University funds.

Yes deer were dropped from a helicopter to provide fisher food the winter after they were first released.

Bluebird’s questions about the habitat in this area being good or bad is just one more example of how far out of touch he is with the reality of the deer/habitat relationships or the total habitat situation.

We have many areas with excellent habitat that feed a lot of various kinds of wildlife, including both deer and pheasant. But, we also have a lot more area with very poor habitat that can’t support many deer, pheasants or much of anything else.

It isn’t enough just to have some good habitat, you also have to have that good habitat in the right places or is still can’t support much wildlife. We have tons of excellent deer habitat and food on the tops of the ridges and the plateau but when we get a hard winter with deep snows the deer can’t live there so that excellent habitat is as inaccessible to the deer as if it were on the moon. In these northern tier mountainous areas if you don’t have enough prime wintering grounds habitat you can’t support more deer during the hard winter years.

R.S. Bodenhorn
Old 12-29-2008, 09:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: bawanajim

Is South Dakota in China?
Author: Randy Sell, Research Assistant
Department of Agricultural Economics, NDSU
Ringneck pheasants bring to mind the hearty cackle of a flushed rooster in the fall, but pheasants may also be raised in a domestic environment. In fact, because the pheasant spends the greater part of its life on the ground, it readily adapts to life in confinement.
The ringneck pheasant is not native to this continent. It was first introduced from China to the Willamette Valley of Oregon in 1881. Since that time nearly all states have attempted to establish ringnecks.
Pheasants were stocked in North Dakota in 1910. Private citizens, with help from the Game and Fish Department, continued stocking efforts until pheasants were well established in southeastern North Dakota. Wild pheasant populations are subject to extreme fluctuation due primarily to the fluctuating availability of suitable cover and the fluctuating severity of winter weather. North Dakota's first pheasant hunting season was in 1931. Pheasant season closed because of the lack of birds only in 1953, 1966 and 1969.
Old 12-29-2008, 09:31 PM
Spike

ORIGINAL: yano

ORIGINAL: bluebird2
BTW, have you figured out why adult doe breeding rates have dropped by at least 6%,when you claimed increased breeding rates would offset the loss of adult doe due to HR?
Funny how the "purveyor of insults" totally ignored this question, hey?

Maybe the question went unanswered becausethe question was not even close to the topic and he chose to ignore the purveyor of spins distortions and lies.
Based on the "purveyor of insults" last post (above), I doubt the "Physic Hotline" is going to be begging you to come to work for them anytime soon.

Old 12-29-2008, 09:57 PM
Fork Horn

Some people make fun of Sprouls posts, but he knows more than some of you believe. Fish Dam was the first Fisher site, and there are plots in that area where human waste was spread. The signs are there to this day.

Quick Reply: Why is the PGC reintroducing Fishers?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.