Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Why is the PGC reintroducing Fishers?

Old 12-29-2008, 05:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Why is the PGC reintroducing Fishers?

if i am not mistaken you can still hunt when you buy a license

Old 12-29-2008, 05:15 PM
Giant Nontypical

Just for the sake of perspective. The annual report in the January Game news itemizes the expenditures from te game fund. Of the almost 69 Million dollars spent, just a little over 300,000 was spent on endangered/ threatened and nongame programs. Thats less one half of one percent for all of those species combinedand a lot of that money comes from federal grants.

Seems to me this is the wrong tree to bark up!
Old 12-29-2008, 05:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Listen, I enjoy watching wildlife as much as the next guy.

My point is that the PGC is having financial problems. the constantly whine about not having enough funds(see RSB's post)

Yet the PGC continues to fund projects that probably not really neede right now. Yes itsnice to see river otters and fishers, but those aren't game animals. We all know that pheasants and rabbit populations need help.

Wouldn't it make more sense to put money in those areas instead of reintrducing fishers?

I just don't see why the PGC would fund something like this when funds are so low.

Because of the economy, many business managers have to make cuts. Why pour money into a nongame animal if funds are low? Why not cut that project and worry about managing game species?

Many hunters are dropping out of the sport and one of the reasons is lack of game.

As mentioned, you don't need a hunting license to just go out and view wildlife.

Why worry about fishers? Fishers do go after porcupines with a vengance. Kinda makes me wonder why the PGC would be so interested in them and willing to spend their "limited" funds on reintroducing them.

Old 12-29-2008, 05:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: BTBowhunter

Just for the sake of perspective. The annual report in the January Game news itemizes the expenditures from te game fund. Of the almost 69 Million dollars spent, just a little over 300,000 was spent on endangered/ threatened and nongame programs. Thats less one half of one percent for all of those species combinedand a lot of that money comes from federal grants.

However much they spent towards the fisher project was too much. If funds are really as low as they say, they need to make cuts
Old 12-29-2008, 05:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

endangered animal!
kinda like the bald eagle was and it has kinda come back
dont hear ppl complain bout themm thou
Old 12-29-2008, 05:37 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Windwalker7

ORIGINAL: BTBowhunter

However much they spent towards the fisher project was too much. If funds are really as low as they say, they need to make cuts
Again, a lot of the money for this type of program comes from federal funds that are often specifically designated for certain programs. I don't know how much is being spent on fishers if any at all right now. RSB said the fisher introductions were done from 94 to 98.
All I'm trying to say is that it might be best to get all the facts before singling out any specific program.

I spend around $100 annually on all the licenses permits and tags I buy in PA. Personally, I'm OK with a whole 40 cents going toward stuff I can't hunt, whether it's fishers woodrats, or even cougars!!!
Old 12-29-2008, 05:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

Here is an idea of mine that I talked about before, several years ago.

Rabbits;

The PGC needs to go around to any interested sportsmen's clubs, 4H, Boy Scouts, Cub Scouts and offer up plans on how to build box traps.

My brother lives in town. His yard is polluted with rabbits. You see them smashed on the streets and in evreyones yard in the summer. I'm sure many small towns are like this.

Anyway, you get all those interested to set their box traps in towns, yards or where ever during the early summer. The PGC would have to approve this.

You catch the rabbits and transplant them to SGL or other areas where hunters have access.

Although they will have young already at the time of trapping they will still reproduce after transplanted.

Heck, the PGC could even ear tag some of them and do studies on how many get harvested later in the fall.

I know, I know, the first thing that will be brought up is suitable habitat to do the transplanting to.

Well, if you look at the habitat they just came from( sidewalks, driveways and manacured lawns) I'm thinking those city dwelling bunnies will find a way to survive out in the woods and fields of the SGL's. Stocked Ringneck pheasants are being dumped into these same areas with little worry if they'll survive.

If ear tags and hunter surveys are put in place, we'll all find out how well this works after a year or two.

Since the Boy Scouts and Sportsmen's clubs would be footing the bill for the traps, the PGC could get awaywith this for very little cost other than their approval to allow this to happen.

By the way, for those that say it won't work, I know a few guys who have been doing this for years. They're big into beagles and have several really awesome rabbit hunting areas because of their efforts.

Old 12-29-2008, 05:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

if they go after porcupines im fine with less half a % going towards it cost me couple hundred last
time dummy dog got into them heck id donate a dollar when buy my license
Old 12-29-2008, 06:50 PM
Spike

ORIGINAL: bluebird2
BTW, have you figured out why adult doe breeding rates have dropped by at least 6%,when you claimed increased breeding rates would offset the loss of adult doe due to HR?
Funny how the "purveyor of insults" totally ignored this question, hey?

Old 12-29-2008, 07:05 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: yano

ORIGINAL: bluebird2
BTW, have you figured out why adult doe breeding rates have dropped by at least 6%,when you claimed increased breeding rates would offset the loss of adult doe due to HR?
Funny how the "purveyor of insults" totally ignored this question, hey?

Maybe the question went unanswered becausethe question was not even close to the topic and he chose to ignore the purveyor of spins distortions and lies.

Quick Reply: Why is the PGC reintroducing Fishers?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.