not 1 deer biologists was hired.:( i have yet to hear..." />

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

PGC COULD MAKE MILLIONS

Old 12-25-2008, 09:58 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default PGC COULD MAKE MILLIONS

the STATE GAMELANDS are full of gas here in pa.

the PGC could make a LOT of money off thisHUGE GAS STRIKE on marcellus shale thing.

did you know that the PGC spent over 300,000 dollars to hire 4 wind biologists.

not 1 deer biologists was hired.

i have yet to hear how this is going to help us hunters on deer situation.

maybe someone will chime in on this.
Old 12-25-2008, 10:04 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: PGC COULD MAKE MILLIONS

From what I have read the PGC does not own the mineral rights to much of the land they own. But they will be able to sell gas line right of ways ,though not real profitable it will open the canopy and allowed sun light to some ground.
Old 12-25-2008, 10:10 AM
Fork Horn

They did not hire "WIND" Biologist, They hired wildlife biologist to study the impact of wind energy in wildlife populations. Money was also aquired from grants to offset the cost. However studys take time and money.Jeeze where do you get this stuff??

The PGC doesnt own most of the mineral rights.

"An additional major program that we addressed last year was wind energy. The Game Commission participated in a collaborative process that resulted in the development of a voluntary wind energy cooperative agreement. Being responsible for wildlife impacts from wind energy, the Game Commission took the lead in establishing various protocols that will help wind energy companies to evaluate risk and avoid potential wildlife impacts. This program has already proven to be mutually beneficial to both the wind energy industry and our bird and mammal resources. However, to assist the execution of this program, we hired four biologists to provide monitoring of the program and assist the wind energy companies in site identification. This is an additional cost of almost $300,000. A cost we had not anticipated, but is necessary to support the program for clean energy.

http://www.pgc.state.pa.us/pgc/cwp/view.asp?A=11&Q=171573

Old 12-25-2008, 11:08 AM
Giant Nontypical

deer situation???? that makes it sound like deer are a threatened or endangered species lol......PA hunters ran Gary Alt out of the state....i dont think they could hire a true "Deer biologist" if they wanted...you guys would run them outta the state if they didnt bring the deer herd back to the point of what it was or better lol. i know i wouldnt want the job!!!!

i kinda wish PA hunters could have seen the long term negative effects of having such a large deer herd...hunters may not like deer numbers now....but science does back that the state herd overall is much healthier. not only would the deer eat themselves out of a home, but disease and many other factors would have wiped out the herd. thats how mother nature deals with over population. disease and starvation is alot worse than having a smaller, healthier herd IMO. here in the SW we seen what overpopulation and disease can do. that was mother nature reducing the population plain and simple. it was far from something pretty. i'll take a smaller, healthier herd over disease and starvation and whackin deer with my truck, etc etc any day!

but, PA hunters for the most part do not understand any of that, as simple as it is...they will argue that the herd was healthy and there was food, blah blah etc.... probably 90% of the hunters would go back to not shooting does and shooting the first 3" spike or better that they seen....

hunters are a wildlife management tool plain and simple. probably 98% of the hunters do not understand that.

for yearsssssss and years the PGC were not using the hunters properly as a management tool and were letting hunters shoot bucks and pretty much ONLY bucks....they are taking steps in the right direction and guys are upset. i really hope the whinning and complaining is falling on deaf ears and the PGC never gives in. now we need age structure in our buck herd, which were slowly getting. i hunt in a few WMUs in the western part of the state...private and public land. its time to stabilize the deer numbers and work on age structure. its not about trophy hunting, its about the health of our deer herd. when hunters realize that, they might stop crying.

sorry, i just cant take the whole "Deer situation" stuff! instead of argueing and bickering about it, take the time to do some research...the facts are out there...it NEEDED done....giving in now would be throwing away all the work and time..would be a terrible idea IMO.

i might not be a wildlife biologist, but i do have some background in wildlife management and ecology. not real tough stuff to figure out though...mostly common sense...the hard part is WANTING to see the facts...
Old 12-25-2008, 06:16 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: WCO R.W.J

They did not hire "WIND" Biologist, They hired wildlife biologist to study the impact of wind energy in wildlife populations. Money was also aquired from grants to offset the cost. However studys take time and money.Jeeze where do you get this stuff??

The PGC doesnt own most of the mineral rights.

"An additional major program that we addressed last year was wind energy. The Game Commission participated in a collaborative process that resulted in the development of a voluntary wind energy cooperative agreement. Being responsible for wildlife impacts from wind energy, the Game Commission took the lead in establishing various protocols that will help wind energy companies to evaluate risk and avoid potential wildlife impacts. This program has already proven to be mutually beneficial to both the wind energy industry and our bird and mammal resources. However, to assist the execution of this program, we hired four biologists to provide monitoring of the program and assist the wind energy companies in site identification. This is an additional cost of almost $300,000. A cost we had not anticipated, but is necessary to support the program for clean energy.

http://www.pgc.state.pa.us/pgc/cwp/view.asp?A=11&Q=171573

thanks for info.

USP does not agree with using our money ,i guess its our money to pay for this.

they feel the money should have been used to hire 4 deer biologists,not 4 wind study biologists.

i guess what i heard was truth from usp.

the power companies in my opinion could have paid for that STUDY.300,000 thousand is pocket change to them.
Old 12-25-2008, 06:29 PM

Good God they are nuts and lost their minds. Wind affect on wildlife. Bring the straight jackets in and get the rubber rooms ready. That is the most waist of money I have ever heard of. Maybe they should check the affects on wildlife from using sprinkler systems that sprays water also. Unbelievable. Well here are the affects of what windmill will do. It will bring clean energy and occasionally if a bird flies into it,it will become pillow stuffing. What more is there need to know? Again,unbelievable this is....
Old 12-26-2008, 11:03 AM
Giant Nontypical

from what i hear, some of that WIND study money is coming from GRANTS, i dont know how much.

i would much better feel if it was spent on waysto increase deer feed ,like planting of chestnut trees by millions along sides of pipelines.

i still have deer eating my chestnuts in my yard.
Old 12-26-2008, 12:45 PM
Banned

"did you know that the PGC spent over 300,000 dollars to hire 4 wind biologists."

All Pgc needs to do is build a big windmill in the middle of the floor of their building at Elmerton Avenue and in one week, they could harness enough hot air energy to light up all of New York City for a year
Old 12-26-2008, 12:55 PM
Banned

"PA hunters ran Gary Alt out of the state..."

Because he was a complete idiot that had no deer management experience and was nothing more than a front man for the new age tree huggin' agenda that was about to ensue.

"i dont think they could hire a true "Deer biologist" if they wanted...you guys would run them outta the state if they didnt bring the deer herd back to the point of what it was or better lol. i know i wouldnt want the job!!!!"

A "TRUE" deer biologist wouldnt have gone to such extremes...How do I know? Becausethere are more than enough states with more than enough REAL deer biologists as you put it, in this country wherethis absolutenonsenseis NOT happening.

"....but science does back that the state herd overall is much healthier."

Yeah...Thoseall thatLOWERreproduction data that in no way supports your uneducated comment![:'(]

"here in the SW we seen what overpopulation and disease can do."

Actually "WE" did not. Theehd wiped out many deer last year. This was AFTER pgc had supposedly begun STABILIZINGthe deer herd for 3 years prior to that, because they believed the deer herd was at their desired level... Therefore your nonsense is completely false and unsubstantiated even by the clowns at pgc!

Funny thing is, when the herd MIGHT have been a bit abovedesirable level in thisarea back in the 90's...THERE WAS NO EHD!

"i might not be a wildlife biologist, "

Gee, thanks for telling me, you almost made me think that you were! (LOL)(LOL)

"..the hard part is WANTING to see the facts... "

I agree. And currently Pgc and YOU dont. They want to cater to environmentalist extremists and that is that. Wether we like it or not, too bad for us.
Old 12-26-2008, 01:10 PM
Giant Nontypical

"here in the SW we seen what overpopulation and disease can do."

Actually "WE" did not. Theehd wiped out many deer last year. This was AFTER pgc had supposedly begun STABILIZINGthe deer herd for 3 years prior to that, because they believed the deer herd was at their desired level... Therefore your nonsense is completely false and unsubstantiated even by the clowns at pgc!

Funny thing is, when the herd MIGHT have been a bit abovedesirable level in thisarea back in the 90's...THERE WAS NO EHD!
Maybe you simply don't understand how EHD works. EHD outbreaks generally occur in warmer climates. PA has had only two significant outbreaks in recent history. EHD outbreaks are generally worse where deer densities are high.

So Corny, try and follow this.... EHD requires hotter temps than we normally have in PA and high deer densities make outbreaks worse in spotty areas. EHD doesnt come to an area because of high deer densities. When it does come, an unusual event in PA, areas with too many deer are especially vulnerable. Had the outbreak in the SW occurred a few years ago, it simply could have been far worse.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.