Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

FLINTLOCK SEASON IN PA.WMU2G

Old 12-23-2008, 03:57 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default FLINTLOCK SEASON IN PA.WMU2G

i have recieved a lot of PM ,so i thought i would post some info.

in CLINTON/SOU/POTTER/EAST CAMERON COUNTYS.season opens on friday.

from what i hear roads are not good at all, about 6/8 inchs of snow in mountains and its HARD AS ROCK.i suggest you bring ice cleaks,you may not use them but nice to have.

WINDS are terrible, i think only 1 day was without a high wind.cold as h.

we had our cameras out last week, most of deer,we had 5 on cameras in 7 locations come out at 6 pm and back to bed at 4 am.

deer are still very spooky ,ones that are left.

we still have not brought in our treestands, they are froze in ground

deer mostly that i here are seen are mostly near roads or highways,not many are seen.

deer are not moving very far do to this awful weather we have here and cold.

way i hunt for a buck in flintlock is to drive around roads until i see a set of fresh tracks in snow.

i then try to figure where that deer went and try to find easy way to get into that area to try to stalk .

i have gotten looks at a few bucks this way but mostly the tracks lead to a doe.

bucks this time of year are usually loners, so those lone tracks might be a buck,you never know.

thats how i hunt but if roads are real bad,i may have to put chains on,dont know, i am going out this week to look.

worst part is WINDS,weather says nice on friday and nasty day on saturday.

if you can walk ,windy saturday in rain could be your best day.

this snow is so hard, you cant sneak up on anything.

but, if wind is blowing like saturday, if you able, good chance you can sneak up on deer.

thats about it. good luck and pass on doe if possible.

Old 12-24-2008, 07:55 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: FLINTLOCK SEASON IN PA.WMU2G

thought i would post all this weekDO TO AWFUL WEATHER HERE.

this is worst i have seen so far this year,wednesday before christmas.

my scanner is on steady today, wrecks all over roads here in clinton county.

roads and the walks are covered with 1/2 inch of ice and raining hard.

snow is hard as rock in mountains with ice on top.

no way to stalk a deer in this unless its very windy .

worst this year, so far.

dont know what friday will bring but i would NEVER go in woods without a set of chains on my tires.

trees are covered with ice also.

if it gets warm on sat, like 44 degrees, it may melt, they are calling for high winds saturday.

friday does not look bad with high of 37 degrees but i bet roads will be one nasty mother.

i am going to wait until next week to get out for buck.

no broken hips for ole sproul
Old 12-24-2008, 07:58 AM
Giant Nontypical

Be careful out there Sproul.

Merry Christmas and I hope that ice melts for ya!

Whatever you do, don't get in the truck and come down to 2B or2D to hunt. No deer left here
Old 12-24-2008, 10:59 AM
Fork Horn

We had snow then freezing rain the other day, last night we had freezing rain again. It's now raining and 37 degrees, can't see the Blue Mountain for the fog, reminds me of the first day of buck in 2007. Might be a good idea to stay out of the mountains and hunt the valley. Haven't had a picture of a deer for days now, we have four cameras out.
Old 12-25-2008, 10:50 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Coalcracker

We had snow then freezing rain the other day, last night we had freezing rain again. It's now raining and 37 degrees, can't see the Blue Mountain for the fog, reminds me of the first day of buck in 2007. Might be a good idea to stay out of the mountains and hunt the valley. Haven't had a picture of a deer for days now, we have four cameras out.
isnt this weather something.

wednesday night,20 MPH WINDS AND RAIN.

now christmas, no rain but temps dropping and HIGH WINDS.

friday they are calling for nasty day for opener,high winds and freezing rain.same for saturday.

those WINDS are causing deer that are left to just SIT.

i agree with you, we had pictures of few deer, around 5 in 7 locations total that were out but then 2 days later,NOTHING.

SAME IN MY YARD, not 1 deer has been here to my feeders in 4 days, not 1.

i think it may be do to HARD FROZEN SNOW,my dog cant go 50 yds in it that his legs dont go sliding around.

we were going grouse hunting, but that is cancelled for rest of winter,no way he is going to break a hip in this stuff.

i like late grouse hunting too but i cant risk it.

wal-mart on wednesdy was all sold out of ice cleats and no one has tire chains anywhere in 3 counties.

temps right now here in clinton is 31 degrees and dropping, yesterday it was 44..crazy weather, for sure.

icve alert just came over tv for clinton county for noon on friday,high is 32,THEN it shows saturday, temps will be 50 with rain, YOU BELIEVE THAT..

man, something is really messed up here in pa. this year on weather.
Old 12-25-2008, 06:53 PM
Giant Nontypical

i wasout today delivering some food to people that are having a hard time.

some of their driveways, i could not get truck up them without putting it in 4 wheel drive, you believe that.

this is worst i have seen CLINTON/POTTER/CAMERON COUNTIES in number of years.

we cant even get to shooting range without chains as road is icy,its pain to put on those chains.

as for deer sighting,deer are not moving very much and not in daylight.

they are not feeding on pipelines, mostly near roads.

everything is just to slippery for us or deer.

i cant even suggest how to hunt in this stuff, i remember only 1 time it was this bad, back around 1977 area.

can you believe they are calling for LIGHTENING on saturday
i day, 24 degrees, next raining, next ice storm, next lightening.

then you go to harrisburg and NO SNOW.

northcentral pa got wacked this year, so far.

weatherman said,FOLKS I HATE TO TELL YOU THIS BUT NORTHCENTRAL PA IS GOING TO GET 1 MOTHER OF COLD SPELL IN JAN.
Old 12-26-2008, 09:51 AM
Giant Nontypical

well, this is opener of flintlock season in pa.temp is 31 degrees, was 24 at 7 am.

wind is about 15 mph and NOW snow is froze solid again.

you can walk on it without falling thru it.

rain is coming at 5pm to saturday at noon.

then 45 degree weather again.

we still cant get to shooting range withourt chains on truck.

i only put 1 side on it on front wheel, too lazy to put 2 on
Old 12-28-2008, 09:49 AM
Boone & Crockett

Thanks for the updates Sproul. I don't think I will be heading up to the camp this year. Will try hunting here at home. Was out yesterday. Made a push for my hunting partner about 3/4 mile. Only cut one fresh track heading in the opposite direction he was at.
Like you stated. All the tracks we saw on Friday were on the south facing slopes where there is less snow.
The last couple days were warm. Its 55 right now. I can still see some snow up on the north facing slopes but it is pretty much gone from the south sides. Maybe we'll have better luck tomorrow.
Old 12-28-2008, 06:54 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: bronko22000

Thanks for the updates Sproul. I don't think I will be heading up to the camp this year. Will try hunting here at home. Was out yesterday. Made a push for my hunting partner about 3/4 mile. Only cut one fresh track heading in the opposite direction he was at.
Like you stated. All the tracks we saw on Friday were on the south facing slopes where there is less snow.
The last couple days were warm. Its 55 right now. I can still see some snow up on the north facing slopes but it is pretty much gone from the south sides. Maybe we'll have better luck tomorrow.
this is sunday and a LOT of snow melted down below but up on top of mountains, terrible.

so, if you do come up, i would hunt along roads not up on top of mountains.

we are going out monday and just shoot our muzzleloaders.

we are so tired, i cant believe i said that, from hard hunting we did those 2 weeks of deer.

i actually put in less time this year but was wore out more.

that wind/cold just took the interest out of most i know.

i had friends of mine that hunted and have camp in PETES RUN.

THEY SAID IT WAS BATTLE JUST TO GET TO CAMP WITH CHAINS ON THEIR TRUCKS.

they also are TIRED of deer hunting aND GOT NO DEER FOR 2 WEEKS THEY WERE AT CAMP.

this is first year in my life i did not see a DEER for 2 weeks of hunting.
also this is first year in my life I DONT HAVE INTEREST TO GO OUT ON THAT ICY SNOW AFTER A BUCK.

Old 12-29-2008, 06:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

Cry me a river Sproul.It's funny that you claim all the deer are near roads,yet you didn't see any.Very poor advise telling people to hunt near roads.I didn't hunt near any roads and Ishot multiple deer this year on public land in 2G and could have killed a buck each day I hunted in rifle season.

Quick Reply: FLINTLOCK SEASON IN PA.WMU2G

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.