Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

FLINTLOCK SEASON IN PA.WMU2G

Old 01-01-2009, 08:19 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: FLINTLOCK SEASON IN PA.WMU2G

ORIGINAL: Matt / PA

Just because our 2 groups are hunting "The same area" as defined by (Keating / Pottersdale) doesn't mean we're hunting anywhere near each other.
We're 8 1/2 miles one way from Keating and there is a LOT of room up there.
I can tell you this much Sproul, at the very least if they drove some of the same roads we drove to park our vehicles to hike back in they would have to be blind, or stupid not to see some of the obvious sign.
I'm not talking a single set of tracks in the snow. I'm talking 100yd stretches of road with tracks and trails streaming off it heading across the other side.

Trust me, there are some VERY good areas "Way back in". But like I said I'm not drawing a map. They're there, we absolutely saw the number of deer I mentioned and if your boys aren't seeing anything like that they are doing one of 2 things........ putting around all day in their trucks all day, or not hunting where the deer are. And like I said if they are putting around in their trucks they'll find the starting point for some of these areas without much difficulty.
We learn something every year and the areas will change sometimes year to year but we always find the deer.
Our group drives an average of about 3 1/2hrs to get there, the longest takes 5hrs and one guy usually comes from Chicago who grew up in PA......we're not fighting icy roads, tire chains, long drives, no running water or electricity, cranky wives who expect you there for the holidays, to walk around "empty woods".
We like each other but we can talk on the phone or gather at someone's house if ALL we want is each other's company.
If the hunting was that bad, don't you think we'd find something better to do with our time than gather up the effort to go THERE? I find it funny that WE are the ones who don't live right there yet we're the ones enjoying ourselves and not complaining. Quit whining about no deer next to your granddaddy's favorite stump or rock and go FIND the deer.

If you're gonna "Almost" call me a liar and base it on YOUR friend's successes.........then I'm "Almost" gonna call you and themcrappy hunters and base it on our successes.

i dont know if BARRYs crew who has camp right next to you ,got deer or not .or what they saw.

they have big crew and drive your area,they have for 50 years in their family.

i will get their report, i hope next week.

we fish together in state bass tournaments in pa/md/ny.

he caught largest bass in one of the B.A,S.S tournaments,8.1 pds.

my biggest was 7.6 pds.

i spent my grouse hunting in keating mtn towards pottersdale ,you know where the old ccc camp was.

i saw 1 doe there and scared it away so road hunter would have shot it and she was on privateland at that location, i was hunting along edge.

BURT hunted that area all oct muzz week and saw 1 doe but it was too far away.

he hunted 4 days there from 6 am to 11am.

my cousin owned keating mtn ,you ever here name MIKE DONNELLY.

i remember when we saw deer like you say are there.

nothing to see 20 a drive.

if you are seeing deer like you say, you are very lucky.

i just talked to the president of local sportsmans club there,his name is TIM HORNER.

he said that you are about only one he has heard that seen that many deer in that area.

he said most members had a very bad year in cameron/clinton,i dont think he saw deer this year at his camp,i have not seen him this week to talk to him ,they are getting ready to feed the deer in 2 weeks, we are too.
Old 01-01-2009, 09:03 PM
Giant Nontypical

Sproul,
I'm absolutely NOT exagerrating, and luck has nothing to do with it.

What you need to understand is the concept of "yarding". There are very specific places where these deer go when conditions dictate and they go there in large numbers at this time of year. These are areas that we can count on to provide natural movement and opportunities at unspooked deer which is the reason we don't push these areas. We leave them alone and either still hunt or sit them, we slip in as silently as possible using the wind to our advantage.

We push the outlying areas far away from where we want to sit in the evenings to keep the deer on as natural of a pattern as possible.
Even on the outlying pushes we get deer out but not nearly in the numbers we see in the concentrated spots.
They aren't in those numbers all over the area but we still got deer out on every push with marginal sign.
There are areas where you can go hundreds of yards without cutting a single track..........then there are others where you could literally trip over their dug in trails.
It's a pretty simple process of elimination.

The area that my friends jumped 25-30 deer out of going in at 1PM had deer sign I'm certain that you could see from a helicopter.

It's a matter of knowing what the deer need.......find the areas that provide it andthey will draw deer in like a magnet.
We all have laminated topo maps, and GPS and a healthy dose of knowing the area for almost 20 years. We move around, we find the deer, we hunt them smart. We don't sit on the same sidehill day after day year after year because someone shot 4 bucks in a row for 4 straight years back in the mid 1980's.
HUnting is different up there no doubt but there are plenty of deer to hunt if you want to find them.Many guys aren't willing to look at a topographic map and then dedicate 45 minutes to an hour to hike back into the area and see whats there.
WE do.

We had 4 guys in camp for rifle season and 2 shot bucks in 3 days. One guyonly hunted the first morningbecause he had the flu. Plenty of does were spotted.

You can site all the history of the area and the people who live there all you want.........if they aren't willing to look around or change the way they've hunted for 50 years sure they might be frustrated.

I'd rather see deer.

Edit:
I forgot this classic example of how many "camp" guys hunt.

Second day of the rifle season this year one of our guys was hiking out a ridge around 10:00AM and had worked his way to another nearby camp.
He knows some of the guys and knocked on the door only to find EVERY seat in the cabin filled with somebody's butt.
When he walked in and saw everybody sitting around he greeted them with a big "CONGRATULATIONS!! Everybody got a buck!?"
(since everybody was already back at camp this early )

Said there had to be 12 guys sitting around grumbling about the lack of deer.

The morning of the SECOND DAY.
Old 01-03-2009, 09:57 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Matt / PA

Sproul,
I'm absolutely NOT exagerrating, and luck has nothing to do with it.

What you need to understand is the concept of "yarding". There are very specific places where these deer go when conditions dictate and they go there in large numbers at this time of year. These are areas that we can count on to provide natural movement and opportunities at unspooked deer which is the reason we don't push these areas. We leave them alone and either still hunt or sit them, we slip in as silently as possible using the wind to our advantage.

We push the outlying areas far away from where we want to sit in the evenings to keep the deer on as natural of a pattern as possible.
Even on the outlying pushes we get deer out but not nearly in the numbers we see in the concentrated spots.
They aren't in those numbers all over the area but we still got deer out on every push with marginal sign.
There are areas where you can go hundreds of yards without cutting a single track..........then there are others where you could literally trip over their dug in trails.
It's a pretty simple process of elimination.

The area that my friends jumped 25-30 deer out of going in at 1PM had deer sign I'm certain that you could see from a helicopter.

It's a matter of knowing what the deer need.......find the areas that provide it andthey will draw deer in like a magnet.
We all have laminated topo maps, and GPS and a healthy dose of knowing the area for almost 20 years. We move around, we find the deer, we hunt them smart. We don't sit on the same sidehill day after day year after year because someone shot 4 bucks in a row for 4 straight years back in the mid 1980's.
HUnting is different up there no doubt but there are plenty of deer to hunt if you want to find them.Many guys aren't willing to look at a topographic map and then dedicate 45 minutes to an hour to hike back into the area and see whats there.
WE do.

We had 4 guys in camp for rifle season and 2 shot bucks in 3 days. One guyonly hunted the first morningbecause he had the flu. Plenty of does were spotted.

You can site all the history of the area and the people who live there all you want.........if they aren't willing to look around or change the way they've hunted for 50 years sure they might be frustrated.

I'd rather see deer.

Edit:
I forgot this classic example of how many "camp" guys hunt.

Second day of the rifle season this year one of our guys was hiking out a ridge around 10:00AM and had worked his way to another nearby camp.
He knows some of the guys and knocked on the door only to find EVERY seat in the cabin filled with somebody's butt.
When he walked in and saw everybody sitting around he greeted them with a big "CONGRATULATIONS!! Everybody got a buck!?"
(since everybody was already back at camp this early )

Said there had to be 12 guys sitting around grumbling about the lack of deer.

The morning of the SECOND DAY.

I GUESS I GOT TO LEARN HOW TO HUNT DEER

Old 01-04-2009, 10:24 AM
Giant Nontypical

i went out on saturday to hunt grouse with my dog..
THAT WAS BIG MISTAKE.

i forgot to take chains.

i started up road and ALL 4 wheels started slipping, no rails just a steep bank to go down over.

so, i floored it, i made it, oh my.

roads are terrible in clinton/cameron/potter countys.

snow is 6 inchs deep and hard as rock.

i saw 3 vehicles with total of 6 hunters in my area, they all said very few deer, they saw total of 4 deer for 2 days hunting .

they did shoot a coyote that was killing a turkey,he had turkey in his mouth.

i was very lucky to get home, no more going out without chains or hunting in these conditions at dark.

this is worst winter i have seen on ice from around 1997 are ice storm, 2 inchs of ice on roads solid as glass.

i heard 1 camp owner say he slid 100 yds by his camp,he was scared to death to come out.

i took him to town and he bought a set of chains and then he got wrecker to take him out,

i am going to hunt my privateland as its near homes but i hate to kill a deer on there so i may just hunt coyotes instead.

Old 01-07-2009, 05:50 AM
Boone & Crockett

Well the last day is Saturday guys. The weather has not co-operated this year for most of us. A few nice days. Today (Wednesday) is horrible. I tried to get to work this morning and slid backwards down my driveway on the ice in my Jeep. I managed to worm it back up and back into the garage. Work isn't worth it. Looks like the season is over for me unless we get some kind of heat wave to melt all this ice.
At least I had some amusement this morning when I left my lab pup out to do her thing. She was on her butt a few times trying to run around in the yard.
Old 01-07-2009, 01:07 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: bronko22000

Well the last day is Saturday guys. The weather has not co-operated this year for most of us. A few nice days. Today (Wednesday) is horrible. I tried to get to work this morning and slid backwards down my driveway on the ice in my Jeep. I managed to worm it back up and back into the garage. Work isn't worth it. Looks like the season is over for me unless we get some kind of heat wave to melt all this ice.
At least I had some amusement this morning when I left my lab pup out to do her thing. She was on her butt a few times trying to run around in the yard.
labs are real great dogs.

my season may be over as deer just are not moving and roads are NASTY in woods in clinton county.

my day was ruined too.

i caught a kid shooting myPET DOE in my yard.YOU BELIEVE THAT[:@]

LUCKY HE MISSED.i was so mad over this until i calmed down.

that doe has 2 fawns with her too.[:@]

kids are off school today..

now, i guess my mailbox will get destroyed next week or a stone thrumy picture window or grass tore up at 2 am with car tracks.
Old 01-07-2009, 01:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

You are setting yourself up for heartbreak, Sproul.
Stop tormenting yourself.
Old 01-07-2009, 01:36 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: livbucks

You are setting yourself up for heartbreak, Sproul.
Stop tormenting yourself.

Old 01-07-2009, 01:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Do you feel better now?
You have some great emoticons, I must say.
Old 01-07-2009, 02:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Can somebody post a picture of a deer so poor ole sproul can remember what one looks like.He can't find a deer butgot 15 feet from the only mountain lion east of the Mississippi.

Dam crews shooting a guys pet deer.Tomorrow that kid's father will drive by to shoot that small spike and put the kid's tag on it.

Quick Reply: FLINTLOCK SEASON IN PA.WMU2G

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.