Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Man this sucks

Old 04-07-2003, 07:33 AM

Default Man this sucks

Well we' re heading into April and still no sign of spring. Almost all of our snow was gone, then bam we got hit with an ice and snow storm. Now we' re back up to about 6-8 inches of snow on the ground and we' re supposed to get hit again tonight and tomorrow, there calling for another 6inches or more

WHEN WILL IT END!!!!!!!!
Old 04-07-2003, 10:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Man this sucks

I' m not far from ya Model, and getting the samething! It does stink, and I hate it. But I realized it does have a advantage, I' m crazy right[8D]! I did this last Tuesday after a fresh snow fall, and going out again tomorrow. The first results were great. I' m scouting fresh turkey tracks & sign made off the roost. Tuesday backtracked some turkeys, found strut marks, and there roost! I' m checking another spot tomorrow morning.
Old 04-08-2003, 06:03 AM

I quess good can come from just about anything, Good luck with your turkey hunt.

We only got about 3 inches not so bad I quess, I am sick of this 20 degree weather though, it should be atleast in the 40s.
Old 04-08-2003, 09:01 AM

I' m glad we have the cold longer into the spring this year. Where I hunt the turkeys have been way ahead of schedule the last few years. Opening day you' d find that the turkeys had already quit gobbling and the hens were already sitting. This cold ought to help slow their schedule back to the old days when the season used to correspond with their breeding time.
Old 04-08-2003, 11:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well I went out this morning like said was, to another spot. Never cut a turkey track anyplace. Walked to roosting areas used in past, and not a sign of them. But all was not lost I did see a adult tom, with short 4" cutoff beard strutting to 6 hens. New York hunter, I find that situation often easier for the Big Gobblers. When their hens leave to nest, they become lonely, and more workable. Just because they don' t gobble don' t mean they aren' t baggable. Just takes more patients!! I don' t think it gets much harder on Boss Toms then when they have their hareems around yet. Plus I find less hunters like to sit in the woods or hang around long when they don' t get a gobble. The turkeys are still there!!!
Old 04-09-2003, 08:46 AM

Yeah, they' re still out there, but it seems like some of the excitement is gone out of it. The toms fly out of roost and then walk around the rest of the day quietly. I have still gotten them this way, and its fun when I finally get within range and raise my gun, but all the other days leading up to that moment aren' t as exciting.

It used to be that I' d be bombarded by that exhilarating gobble all over the place. I simply had to wait it out to get the " big one" . Now I still have to wait it out, but without as much excitement.

I see what you' re saying though, and it does help to keep the " weekend hunters" out of the woods some.
Old 04-24-2003, 10:19 AM
Spike

Is the snow gone in the Indian Lake area?