Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

How far from bait is one allowed to hunt?

Old 12-10-2008, 09:43 AM

Default How far from bait is one allowed to hunt?

Lets say I wanted to bait the hell out of my property. How far would I have to be or my neighbors from that area to be legal to hunt again? Yards,acres miles? How does the PGC decide how far away one can hunt from a bait sight? This could really upset some people i am sure.
Old 12-10-2008, 09:51 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: How far from bait is one allowed to hunt?

The law is ambigous on this point. It defines a baited area not by distance from the bait but by whether it affects game patterns.

I understand why the PGC would want that wording as it gives the WCO all the latitude he wants but it can put unwitting hunters into a bad situation and therefore provides potential for abuse by overzealous PGC personnel. ( I don't mean to imply that all or any significant numbers of our regular WCO's would abuse this part of the law but I've met a few deputies that certainly would be likely to)

Old 12-10-2008, 10:06 AM

I don't think they are allowed to make up laws as they go along. I think it should be a distance from the bait pile. Like you said some could be !@#$$% about it. If deer are allready comming thru that area then how would it affect the deer on that route. I see baiting no different than lure and scent other than the lure and scent does a better job during our hunt season than food does. Atleast for bucks.
Old 12-10-2008, 12:25 PM
Fork Horn

When I watched the winter meetings last year,the local state representative for White Oak,Pa in Allegheny County(I can't remember his name) brought up this scenario concerning baiting.He said : I live in an area with a neighbor on each side of me.The deer normally hang out on the property on my left,but in the fall the neighbor has a yard full of apple trees so every evening they deer from neighbor left now travel thru my property to neighbor right to eat the apples.According the the PGC,if I now kill a deer on my property while he is going to eat the apples,WHETHER I KNOW THAT IS WHY HE IS GOING THRU MY PROPERTY OR NOT,that is considered baiting.The Pgc commissioner confirmed that yes they would consider baiting even though he did not put out the food or knew that's why the deer were going there.If that ain't ******up,nothing is.
Old 12-10-2008, 12:29 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: fellas2

When I watched the winter meetings last year,the local state representative for White Oak,Pa in Allegheny County(I can't remember his name) brought up this scenario concerning baiting.He said : I live in an area with a neighbor on each side of me.The deer normally hang out on the property on my left,but in the fall the neighbor has a yard full of apple trees so every evening they deer from neighbor left now travel thru my property to neighbor right to eat the apples.According the the PGC,if I now kill a deer on my property while he is going to eat the apples,WHETHER I KNOW THAT IS WHY HE IS GOING THRU MY PROPERTY OR NOT,that is considered baiting.The Pgc commissioner confirmed that yes they would consider baiting even though he did not put out the food or knew that's why the deer were going there.If that ain't ******up,nothing is.
That is not baiting. Natural things i.e. fruit and nut trees, Is not and has never been baiting. See title 34 sec 2308
Old 12-10-2008, 03:10 PM
Typical Buck

This yesr is the first year they set a distance. It is 1/4 mile radius from any bait. If a area is baited and the PGC knows it they in the past haveposted the land as baited area. That should keep the people out
Old 12-10-2008, 03:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

There is no set distance period.If the WCO can make a case that you took advantage of the bait,you can get busted.
Old 12-10-2008, 04:01 PM
Fork Horn

There is no set distance. It all about the terrain, If you have a question call and ask your local WCO to look at the site.
Old 12-10-2008, 04:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

A club in the Poconos wanted to continue feeding during hunting season and agreed to restrict hunting within 150 yds of the feeder which is within 10 yds of the clubhouse. The WCO told them if they continued to feed the deer he would close the club to hunting for the season.
Old 12-10-2008, 04:13 PM

So,you are allowed to put feed out for deer as long as your not hunting that area? I am surprised ole sproulman hasn't done this to the border of his property to keep people from killing the deer. But it is legal to do though correct?
There is a place in syksville where this guy feeds wild turkeys everyday. You can drive by and see them in his back yard. Every day they are there feeding.I seen him feeding them. Big huge turkeys they are to. I guess he has been feeding them for a while now.

Quick Reply: How far from bait is one allowed to hunt?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.