Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

How far from bait is one allowed to hunt?

Old 12-10-2008, 04:16 PM

Default RE: How far from bait is one allowed to hunt?

I read on the PGC site that some guy was fined 350$ for baiting the hell out of an area. I think it was like off the road and you could see it plain as day. The guy was in camo also and in a tree stand. I don't think he lost his license. Just got a fine for hunting over bait and no orange on. He really didn't know he wasn't allowed to hunt over bait.
Old 12-10-2008, 04:19 PM
Typical Buck

Seems he didn't know much. And I don't where you can rifle hunt without orange. Seems more likely he knew and that's why he was not wearing orange.
Old 12-10-2008, 05:26 PM

http://www.pgc.state.pa.us/pgc/cwp/view.asp?a=482&q=160905
Old 12-10-2008, 05:36 PM

Default Wearing orange

This law about orange is kinda wierd. You can build or be in a blind dressed in orange and still not be seen. But you get fined if your in a treestand without orange on. First day buck. In 2G. My friends nephew pulled up to shoot a 6 point and KABOOM he said and the deer fell over. He looked around and didn't see anyone. Some idiot was sitting within 20yrds of him in full cama and no orange at all. This is very true and it did happen. I told him he should of got his license number and name and turned his arse in. Scared the hell out of him he said also. Then the same day we hunted another area and my friend seen something dark gray about 50 yrds away as we approached a clearing he started raise his rifle,Just then the idiot turned and all he had was a small strip of orange on across his chest that my friend seen. No orange hat at all. There are some real idiots out there who want to get shot. These 2 incidents on the first day.
Old 12-10-2008, 05:40 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Wearing orange

ORIGINAL: sammy_tat

This law about orange is kinda wierd. You can build or be in a blind dressed in orange and still not be seen. But you get fined if your in a treestand without orange on. First day buck. In 2G. My friends nephew pulled up to shoot a 6 point and KABOOM he said and the deer fell over. He looked around and didn't see anyone. Some idiot was sitting within 20yrds of him in full cama and no orange at all. This is very true and it did happen. I told him he should of got his license number and name and turned his arse in. Scared the hell out of him he said also. Then the same day we hunted another area and my friend seen something dark gray about 50 yrds away as we approached a clearing he started raise his rifle,Just then the idiot turned and all he had was a small strip of orange on across his chest that my friend seen. No orange hat at all. There are some real idiots out there who want to get shot. These 2 incidents on the first day.
Seems to me there are two idiots in this story. The guy not wearing orange is an idiot but the guy raising his gun before identifying his target is the worst idiot of all!!!
Old 12-10-2008, 06:37 PM

ORIGINAL: BTBowhunter

Seems to me there are two idiots in this story. The guy not wearing orange is an idiot but the guy raising his gun before identifying his target is the worst idiot of all!!!
Maybe you should read it a bit slower. Started to raise his gun not started to squeeze the trigger.If I see something that doesn't have orange on and I am thinking deer. You can bet my gun is coming off my shoulder from carrying it and bring it up in front of my chest with the barrel out ready to shoulder it when I know for sure it is a deer. I am sure most hunters do this. Every hunter I been with does it that I have noticed. Even on tv they do it. So might want to watch who you call an idiot. Oh, arn't you one of the people on here who talks about no more sitting looking for deer? Kinda hard to get a deer without being ready for one when you jump it.
I bet you don't wing shoot either then,and those guys are idiots because they are ready for a bird to flush and pepper it in a heart beat when they know it's a legal bird?Yep,lots of idiots out there who are hunting all wrong and unsafe.
Old 12-10-2008, 06:44 PM
Giant Nontypical

Maybe you should read it a bit slower. Started to raise his gun not started to squeeze the trigger.If I see something that doesn't have orange on and I am thinking deer. You can bet my gun is coming off my shoulder from carrying it and bring it up in front of my chest with the barrel out ready to shoulder it when I know for sure it is a deer. I am sure most hunters do this. Every hunter I been with does it that I have noticed. Even on tv they do it. So might want to watch who you call an idiot. Oh, arn't you one of the people on here who talks about no more sitting looking for deer? Kinda hard to get a deer without being ready for one when you jump it.
Unbelievable!!! I'll say it again. ANYONE who raises his gun first without identifying his target is an IDIOT!!! If you do it, congratulations, you are an idiot too! A deer rifle is a deadly weapon and I really don't care who I offend when I say that raising that gun is a potentialyy deadly act and anyone who does it without first identifying his target does NOT belong in the woods!
Old 12-10-2008, 06:47 PM

Unbelievable!!! I'll say it again. ANYONE who raises his gun first without identifying his target is an IDIOT!!! If you do it, congratulations, you are an idiot too! A deer rifle is a deadly weapon and I really don't care who I offend when I say that raising that gun is a potentialyy deadly act and anyone who does it without first identifying his target does NOT belong in the woods!
Example of raised gun.

I bet you don't wing shoot either then,and those guys are idiots because they are ready for a bird to flush and pepper it in a heart beat when they know it's a legal bird?Yep,lots of idiots out there who are hunting all wrong and unsafe.
Old 12-10-2008, 06:58 PM
Giant Nontypical

Deleted for skirting the profanity filter, violation of posting rule number 1.
Old 12-10-2008, 08:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

port arms
You probably should attach the definition of that term to your post, Bob.
When I hear somebody raised their gun, I picture a firearm being sighted at it's target. He probably meant that his friend unshouldered his weapon at port arms, but said the wrong term. At anyrate you are correct, Bob. What the man said would be the same as scoping out an unidentified object, which I hope he didn't really mean to say. Bird shooters carry their arms at the ready, but none I know of carry a raised gun around without a target in the air. I think he just used the wrong term...I hope.

Quick Reply: How far from bait is one allowed to hunt?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.